Eternal Lands Official Forums
bluap

[Closed] New development version of the Android client

I've been working on a new version of the Android client.  This version is based on the latest code for the desktop client, with some of the original changes made for Android included.  Having one version of the code will make it easier to maintain and improve going forwards.  While there is more to do, its ready for people to use, test and hopefully provide feedback.  It's not yet in the Android play store but you can download and install it manually from this link.

This version contains all the current client features but still does not have any sound or music; that's on the to-do list.

There's a new camera control method that does not used the previous side bars though they can be restored using an option.  Instead, you touch to walk; drag left/right or up/down to change the camera view and zoom in/out using a pinch in/out gesture as before.

A single touch is the same as a mouse left-click, touch and hold for short period is the same as a mouse right-click; so all the context menus can be opened using a long touch.  Dragging up/down in windows is the same as scrolling with a mouse wheel, though this is not yet implemented in most windows only the console works.

Touching text fields should open the on-screen keyboard.  For the game window, a long touch near the top of the screen will open the keyboard, within the full console swipe left to open, right to close.  If you attach/detach a keyboard/mouse while the client is running, it normally closes (to-do to possibly fix).  If you start the client with a keyboard/mouse, they will work with the keyboard replacing the on-screen version.  The mouse works like the touch functions, not like the desktop client.  Again, this is something that needs more work.

The standard android back action/button progressively closes the on-screen keyboard then all windows, as did the original client.

On Android versions prior to 11, you can access the client user files Android/data/com.el.elc/files/user/main/.  If you have used the existing client before, you often have to clear the app storage when installing an update.  Once this version is installed, you should not have to do that again as changes are detected and files re-read from the package.  User files will be maintained unless you clear storage.

Apart from continuing to improve, other things on the to-do list include copy/paste and potentially opening links in your browser.  I'm currently updating the build process which will be included with the client source.

Build from source instructions

Latest Version is 1.9.6.0-20211228.1456.

QR Code to download https://twinmoons.org.uk/el/git/el.apk

elrq.png.9e01dd9e0dc6741da49e60fe7279ffa3.png

Edited by bluap

Thank you for this bluap!  I'm going to test it tomorrow and I'll post back any issues I have with it!  Kudos to you sir for all your hard work!

Thanks Bluap for the nice work, as usual. I am going to test it too. It works great so far. I recoqnized that I cant move the mini map, once I open it. Its in the left bottom corner, I click on it, can close it for example, but cant move it to the right corner for example. Dunno if thats a thing for all?

So far really nice to play with. Thanks again!

Sam

Thanks for testing.  I've fixed the problem with not being able to move the minimap and uploaded a new version to the same place.  I'm surprised you said the minimap was in the bottom left of the screen as it should be the top-left; I'll take a look at that.  Most other windows should be centred in the middle of the game window until you move them yourself.  There's a new option on the title bar context menu to re-centre if needed.

I tested this client out for a short amount of time.  I like the way you changed camera movement as it feels more natural than the bars that were there before.  Love that you added the long press option to simulate a right click option and those menus work great.  Minimap works great, it is a bit difficult to move around but that seems to be due to the fact that the area to touch and move it is small and I tended to move my character to random places trying to move it.  Not a major issue as once I got it in place where I like it, I don't have to move it again.  Well done.  I'll test some more in the days to come and give you more feedback!  Well done bluap!  Much appreciated.

Thanks @PaulB.  @Iadrilho, yes its fine on the main server as it build from github source and is using the standard data.  In fact, as packaged, it can only be used on the main server.

Really nice. Great work!

How is the default resolution chosen?

I love the new camera controls.

Is there a way to control the sensitivity of the camera?

Thanks ladrilho.  The resolution is the screen native, but as the original version, the UI scale is chosen based on that not the DPI.  I had mixed results with the "getDPI" SDL function but will try again when I manage to update the SDL libraries.  There's not control of the camera sensitivity yet but that should be possible.

Hey, I am trying to get onto the app via app store and your download link but I cannot seem to connect to any server. I think possibly O2 blocks my access to port 2000 even though they said they don't. Do you know if there is any workaround?

Apologies if in the wrong place, just trying to get on to test this out.

Screenshot_20210205-163855_Eternal Lands.jpg

It should be possible to use learner's proxy.  There's no way currently to configure the server setting unless you put in place a suitable servers.lst file into the users setting directory.  For the new version, not the app store version, this is possible.  Though only for Android versions older than 11.

I got a new phone and I am having an issue with the client crashing when I kill a mob.

My old phone ran the play store app just fine but my new phone crashes both apps. (Play store and this one)

Phone is a Motorola with Android version 9.

If you need anything more specific, please ask and thank you for any help.

11 hours ago, Scratch said:

I got a new phone and I am having an issue with the client crashing when I kill a mob.

My old phone ran the play store app just fine but my new phone crashes both apps. (Play store and this one)

Phone is a Motorola with Android version 9.

If you need anything more specific, please ask and thank you for any help.

The new version is mostly a different code base, of the external libraries used, only the GL library is the same.  Moving this to a newer version is causing a lot of issues.   I've played a new character exclusively on this new client through the tutorial and beyond without any crashes so I'd hoped this issue was not present.

Anyway, it would really help if you could be more specific.  Is there anything repeatable about the crash?  Is it a particular creature?  A particular location?  Are you using particular spells?

There's a new version at the previous link 1.9.5-20210207.2113. Changes include:

• Fix for a crash in the special arrow eye candy (also fixed for the desktop client).
  • Fix for overhead buffs, so they are scaled with the UI scaling (also fixed for the desktop client).
  • Increased separation for dialogue options,  emotes window and options window spin buttons.
  • Enable on-screen keyboard if you touch a string option or spin buttons (left side only).
Edited by bluap

No spells involved. It has happened on several maps (tg, ip, pl, mm, naralik). Random low level creatures on these maps. Random locations. Happens about 90% of the time. Not sure what is not happening on the few times it doesn't crash. At first I thought it was the appearance of the bag, so I put on a gatherer medallion. Happened anyway. What happens right before the crash: creature is dead, as my character is stepping onto the creatures location I see the screen glitch right where I am stepping and then the client crashes.

Maybe the graphics chip in my phone is having trouble rendering both the dead creature and my character in the same location? If there are error logs I can send you, I would be happy to if you told me where they are located. Is there specific things you would like me to try? Is there a way to send you a video of the occurrence? Would this even be helpful?

Could it be the Motorola (MotoE6) phone? My old one was an LG. Could it be the version Android?

I have been testing out basic game play on a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 ( Qualcomm SM6115 Octa Core (4x2.0GHz + 4x1.8GHz) Storage: 32GB Ram: 3GB) running Android 10.

Right out of the gate I notice that when I am walking around Morcraven Marsh I'm not lagging (on the store version I studder-stepped anytime I mapwalked to storage or back to cave).  Not sure if your client fixed this but it's now gone since the switch.  I haven't run into any issue fighting things but I haven't tested that extensively because I'm built for fighting right now. I would rely on some others to test instances or invasions with this version.

The camera system is a much need improvement and I'm glad you changed how it work.  It feels much more natural now.  Mini map is nice but I have trouble trying to zoom in or out on it, maybe make it so when the mini map is open you can use your finger to zoom in or out by swiping up and down?  If that's even possible but it's not that important as the mini map functions as it should (more a quality of life issue)

The biggest issue I see people having with the client is that they can't figure out how to open the chat interface.  I don't really have a suggestion on how to make that more user friendly but I find it works just fine.

For someone who just logs on just to harvest/mix/chat this client is more than functional and shouldn't be an issue.  I would be interested to hear some feedback from someone who does invasions/instances just to see how capable this client really is under more aggressive usage.

Well done bluap!  Really love what you have done.  One a side note: I have a keyboard and mouse hooked up my tablet and will this version get some support in the future?  Not needed because most wont play like that but some mouse support would really be appreciated! A right click on a mouse closes the client for example :P

On 08/02/2021 at 5:02 AM, Scratch said:

No spells involved. It has happened on several maps (tg, ip, pl, mm, naralik). Random low level creatures on these maps. Random locations. Happens about 90% of the time. Not sure what is not happening on the few times it doesn't crash. At first I thought it was the appearance of the bag, so I put on a gatherer medallion. Happened anyway. What happens right before the crash: creature is dead, as my character is stepping onto the creatures location I see the screen glitch right where I am stepping and then the client crashes.

Maybe the graphics chip in my phone is having trouble rendering both the dead creature and my character in the same location? If there are error logs I can send you, I would be happy to if you told me where they are located. Is there specific things you would like me to try? Is there a way to send you a video of the occurrence? Would this even be helpful?

Could it be the Motorola (MotoE6) phone? My old one was an LG. Could it be the version Android?

It could be the GL extensions, I'm using the original app code for that which needs cleaning up.  It could be useful to have the the output form the start of the console history (as Zalbo posted above).

3 hours ago, PaulB said:

I have been testing out basic game play on a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 ( Qualcomm SM6115 Octa Core (4x2.0GHz + 4x1.8GHz) Storage: 32GB Ram: 3GB) running Android 10.

Right out of the gate I notice that when I am walking around Morcraven Marsh I'm not lagging (on the store version I studder-stepped anytime I mapwalked to storage or back to cave).  Not sure if your client fixed this but it's now gone since the switch.  I haven't run into any issue fighting things but I haven't tested that extensively because I'm built for fighting right now. I would rely on some others to test instances or invasions with this version.

The camera system is a much need improvement and I'm glad you changed how it work.  It feels much more natural now.  Mini map is nice but I have trouble trying to zoom in or out on it, maybe make it so when the mini map is open you can use your finger to zoom in or out by swiping up and down?  If that's even possible but it's not that important as the mini map functions as it should (more a quality of life issue)

The biggest issue I see people having with the client is that they can't figure out how to open the chat interface.  I don't really have a suggestion on how to make that more user friendly but I find it works just fine.

For someone who just logs on just to harvest/mix/chat this client is more than functional and shouldn't be an issue.  I would be interested to hear some feedback from someone who does invasions/instances just to see how capable this client really is under more aggressive usage.

Well done bluap!  Really love what you have done.  One a side note: I have a keyboard and mouse hooked up my tablet and will this version get some support in the future?  Not needed because most wont play like that but some mouse support would really be appreciated! A right click on a mouse closes the client for example :P

The mini-map zoom in/out is by swiping left/right.  I agree that it needs to be more obvious how to open the on-screen keyboard, suggestions are welcome.  I've had success with a physical keyboard/mouse but only if I attach it before starting the client.  Crashing within the original client stopped when I configured the keyboard language in the android options.  I've not had an issue with this on the new version probably as it's already configured.  Its hard to investigate issues because I can't access debug via USB with the physical keyboard attached to the only port.  The mouse right-click still requires a long-press even for a physical mouse but I do intent to change that at some stage.

I will try to post a screenshot asap.

I did find another curious glitch. I was trying to move some EMP to the trade window from sto and it kept putting wooden handles in. I had to put them into my inventory and trade from there. Did not have time to do further testing on this.

On the bright side I do like your version better then the play store. it has many useful features.

Odd thing just happened. Was map walking past someone in pl when they killed something and then my client crashed. Will keep an eye out for it happening again.

I've not managed to alter the GL extensions stuff yet but I've uploaded a new build that uses the latest stable libraries.  This version can open URLs in your default browser and automatically reconnects to the server when returning to the foreground if required. Version 1.9.5-20210215.2313  at the usual link.

Edited by bluap