Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nova

A reason to PK

I did a search for this idea and found some that were similar but apparently would require too much programming or had other problems. If this exact suggestion exists somewhere already, sorry I missed it.

I see on a lot of PK threads that people crave a REASON to pk. I'd like to suggest a non drop, non capped arena where 2 people would pay a fee to get in. Once in they would do battle till someone loses by dying. The winner would get a portion of the entry fee as a prize and the rest of the fee would poof out of game (kind of like the lottery).

Players would be responsible for finding their own opponents, that way there is no need for the game (or a bot) to do any checking about a/d or combat levels. If you think you can beat someone then put your money where your mouth is and go into the arena with them.

The only thing I'm not sure is feasible is that the game can keep track of who is in a match with who if there are multiple matches taking place at the same time.

Something similar has been suggested before (no idea whah keywords should be used to find it, though).

I like this idea. It gives a REASON to PK instead of FORCING to PK like most of other suggestions. That's the way to go, in my opinion. Encouraging for the win!

Nice idea. There would probably have to be a time limit otherwise it could be used for a different purpose like mana draining during magic #day, or pvp during sun tzu, etc

I like the idea and have mentioned before that for pk to be successful in any game there has to be a benefit of some sort.

Another method similar to this I've seen is to have said arena like above but have so many pk points you can get a day. So say 40 points, If you win a match you get 4 points if you loose you get 1 for attempting. Then at increments along the way you get benefits ie: 10 points you get some gc, 20 points you get some HE or SR, 30 points you get some XP bonus, 40 you get a point towards an achievement or something. You have 24 hrs to get the total of 40 points if you get them then great if not then hopefully you still got to one or two of the bonus lvls and got something. Then it resets and you can try again, the 24hrs start when you enter the arena, then stops after 24 and your personal counter doesn't start again till you enter the arena for the first time after your time limit is up.

Just an idea related thought i'd throw it out there

I like the idea and have mentioned before that for pk to be successful in any game there has to be a benefit of some sort.

Another method similar to this I've seen is to have said arena like above but have so many pk points you can get a day. So say 40 points, If you win a match you get 4 points if you loose you get 1 for attempting. Then at increments along the way you get benefits ie: 10 points you get some gc, 20 points you get some HE or SR, 30 points you get some XP bonus, 40 you get a point towards an achievement or something. You have 24 hrs to get the total of 40 points if you get them then great if not then hopefully you still got to one or two of the bonus lvls and got something. Then it resets and you can try again, the 24hrs start when you enter the arena, then stops after 24 and your personal counter doesn't start again till you enter the arena for the first time after your time limit is up.

Just an idea related thought i'd throw it out there

The problem with your modification is adding new coinage to the game. That's not something we really need. On the other hand, it's the only cons I can think of.

1on1 combat isn't fun and fair most of the time, i rather see something change in multi combat...

The problem with your modification is adding new coinage to the game. That's not something we really need. On the other hand, it's the only cons I can think of.

Doesn't have to be coinage of any kind could be a counter bar similar to Action Points, then when you get to X number of points see an NPC to cash out your prizes

1on1 combat isn't fun and fair most of the time, i rather see something change in multi combat...

Many multi PK ideas have been thrown around even Radu suggested something like CTF once iirc problem is a few flamed the thread and it seemed to die out :(

Something should change in multi-combat, you say, scarr? How about a chance to hit one of the other people in the combat (friend or foe alike) when you miss the person you had intended to hit? It would be much more realistic that way. Of course, it would change the "there must always be a tank" strategy that people usually use for instances and invances as well. That last part might actually make Radu kind of happy since he does not seem to like tanks.

Multi combat is off topic here, but attacks of opportunity would be a nice idea to implement.

Casting a spell, trying to flee, changing target, changing equipment, using mines/caltrops all of these events could provoke an attack of opportunity with a defense/block penalty.

On topic: one on one payed arena could be a good idea ...

Or even a command #duel player_name which could work like:

Player A wants to duel somebody - he/she types: #dual PlayerB

PlayerB gets a message saying: PlayerA wants to duel with you, type: #accept_duel PlayerA to accept the duel or #refuse_duel to refuse itl

If PlayerB wants to duel the person, he/she writes #accept_duel PlayerA and both players are teleported instantly to duel arena (just a very small map PK map).

When players are teleported to the arena, all potion/spell effects they currently have active are cancelled.

Duel starts in 15 seconds from the teleport and both players are teleported to IP when one of them dies or when no damage is dealt for longer then 3 minutes.

If PlayerB does not want to duel PlayerA, he/she writes #refuse_duel PlayerA and the duel is cancelled.

When PlayerA makes a challenge to duel a player, he/she cannot duel another player until the challange is accepted, refused or cancelled - duel is cancelled when PlayerB does not accept or refuse the challenge in 5 minutes.

I guess some cooldown would have to be implemented to prevent "duel spamming" players.

Also a command like #set_duels on|off would have to be implemented, so you can turn challenges on|off. If a player tries to challenge you when you gave challenges turned off, he gets a message like: PlayerB does not accept challenges.

and PlayerB would not even be notified that somebody tried to challange him/her.

Edited by groomsh