Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mythos

Quests section similar to knowledge section

I haven't played EL for 6 years now.

Due to the fact that the quest section lacks the information on the previous quests - i have no idea what quests i've done so far, what were the rewards for doing them, etc. The quests do have a server-side part - the server knows what quests i've done (except for Lasud's quest which remains unfinished even if previously finished) and (newbie tutorial which remains unfinished even after one obtains the achievement). The achievement is obtained prior to finishing all the tasks (potion and alch tutorials).

My suggestion would be to import the the programing mechanics from the "knowledge" section to the quests' section.

Exactly as in the case of the read books, all quests that were done should exist in the list of quests, eventually coloured in green. Started quests could be in white - and (not necessarily) available quests in grey (this should be taken into consideration by you guys, only it will ensure a steady flux of gold exit from the game). However the main idea is to have a list of Finished and On-going quests' list.

Client-side quest log is not optimal, in my opinion. Not only that it limits the questing to one terminal (i mean people who do really read what NPC tells them and try to find the solution according to their knowledge of the game) - not me though, but also makes it impossible for one to identify a certain dialogue properly.

Manu school quest created some problems in the local file in my case - i think i've wrote about that bug. Now i get a "quest" name "???" at the end of the quest list, which contains only a line of dialogue from the manu school NPCc

Edit: clarified a bit the wording.

Edited by Mythos

Well a list of Finished quests would be nice to have to see which you have done but having a list of All the quests and mark those that are finished green could be a spoiler for those that wants to explore and find things for themselfs.

Edited by Entris

This is why i've been a bit reluctant to the idea of a global list of available quests, but supportive with the idea of a list of ongoing and finished quests - eventually - with the quest log or a reward log available (probably by being stocked server-side) to the player - whenever it clicks on the quest's name.

So you mean only a list of the started/finished quests, kind of like #list_perks ?

It would be cool, if server could send also quest ID (given it exists :))

And also, if you have a quest active, then also NPC dialog(s) could contain the quest ID.

With this information, client side quest log could be structured the way people want it - list of started/finished quests and when you expand a quest entry, all related dialogs could be listed.

A command like #list_quests would be excellent. Quests that are complete and in progress is all we would need to have listed. Is it easy to implement?

There have been a few times when I have talked to an NPC and I was sure it was starting a quest, but it was not. It was only setting a little bit of background for the game NPC's.

I imagine one problem with some of the players of the game is that they will flip through the NPC's dialogues in order to start a quest without actually reading it. The same people would most likely flip through the NPC's dialogues until they see another quest in the list and in the process, miss important information that might be necessary to proceed in the quest. That, of course, is not a problem with the game but instead a problem with a few impatient people who play it.

Even if a bit of dialogue from an NPC does start a quest, we have no guaranty that the quest has an end or even any reward attached to it yet.

Even if a bit of dialogue from an NPC does start a quest, we have no guaranty that the quest has an end or even any reward attached to it yet.

If you are talking about 2nd part of medallion quest yes we have been waiting for months since we had to donate scythe to NPC for it. Maybe it will be like Engineering Tutorial (which has no achievement) and not have any reward other than text "Sucker!".

I will think about it, but for now I have other priorities.

Would you mind to elaborate a bit on that (the priorities) - perhaps on the EL blog ? :)

If you are talking about 2nd part of medallion quest yes we have been waiting for months since we had to donate scythe to NPC for it. Maybe it will be like Engineering Tutorial (which has no achievement) and not have any reward other than text "Sucker!".

It is more than just that. There are a number of NPC's that sound like they are offering a quest but they are just telling a background story. Until dialogue changes or we get a reward, there is no way to tell if an NPC is telling you something for a quest or just telling a background story.

Good to hear that, Entropy.

I've reinstalled a brand new copy of EL, due to hdd crash - so i was unable to save the client-side information.

As a result I have no idea how far i went with some quests (Broken Medallion, Shayna's books) and the problem is that i have to go to a whole bunch of NPC's again to see which one will allow me to find out what i was doing and what I should do in the future).