Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Affliction

Liking forum posts

I'm not sure if this is possible or if I'm just retarded or whatever. I think it would be nice if we could "like" and "dislike" posts on the forum? I know we can "like" photos in the photo albums.

The reason I ask is this: Many, many times i find myself in agreement or disagreement with a post, but don't care enough to create a reply, or possibly don't want to get into some discussion, but would like my feelings to be known. I think "liking" or "disliking" posts would be great. or simply +1 -1 on the posts.

Like i said. I don't know if this is possible. I just think it would be nice.

Are we turning Facebookish?

I think it would lead only to unnecessary trolling. If you want to express say you like something - write it.

If you don't care enough about the topic to post, then why should we care about your "liking" it or +/-1 ?

No need for this, we're not Facebook and all that will do is distract from the actual topic.

If you don't care enough about the topic to post, then why should we care about your "liking" it or +/-1 ?

Because a little counter of +1's in the corner is a lot nicer than a bunch of useless "me too" posts on the thread. Google has learned this lesson and added it to it's new forums.

I'm not saying you should implement it here, I'm just pointing out it has a valid use to reduce forum clutter.

I'm not into the Facebook mentality or the +1 or the "like" or the "let's just post something because I CAN, not because I have anything of substance to add" behaviors. I still find it all silly and would prefer not to go that route.

With millions of followers and how FB's posts are organized, it makes sense. In a forums related to EL with a much smaller group of people, it makes no sense at all.

Well, you could try sharing it and then "like" your share. The difference is that your "like" will not show on EL.

Considering people "like" some things that they actually dislike and the total lack of a "dislike", I don't think we need it displaying here. Just my two cents.

Of course, it is totally possible that you meant an EL "like" button, but that sort of thing would have to be added by the people that make the forums for EL. Try http://www.invisionpower.com/products/board/ if you want to influence there. You will notice the link down below with the text of "Community Forum Software by IP.Board 3.1.4". After a feature like that is added there, Radu would have to decide to go to that version, probably spend some hours on updating skins (assuming these mismatch like during the last forum software version change) and then he may be able to opt out on certain features.

You might perhaps be able to set your forum siggy with a Facebook "like" button in it, but that would only let people "like" what you say and not anyone else....and that is assuming that works at all. I only did a little bit of playing with making a Facebook "like" button. It might malfunction and have the "like" applied to the thread or the url they are looking at instead.