Eternal Lands Official Forums
sgik

Newbies and Astrology

Having things fail miserably when you're first starting out can be discouraging. I know at least one case where a newbie was doing the FE "quest" for the Tutorial NPC and failed to create an FE all five times. It seems to me that giving positive astrology (positive in the results sense, not necessarily the numbers sense) for skill levels 0 and 1 would give newbies a chance to see how things work when they work. Even better, IMO, would be to let them always succeed.

There is precedent for helping newbies in such a way. For example, the Tutorial NPC heals anyone with def<20, newbie storage opens to anyone with oa<25, and newbies avoid the underworld and the corresponding equipment loss when they die.

letting newbies never fail those first few levels wouldnt be a good idea imo, then they'd get hit with fails and think "why am i failing more after leveling up". The original idea seems like a good one though.

There is precedent for helping newbies in such a way. For example, the Tutorial NPC heals anyone with def<20, newbie storage opens to anyone with oa<25, and newbies avoid the underworld and the corresponding equipment loss when they die.

Yep, no astro effect for newbies until (att+def+harv+alch)=50 and OA<20 or something like that should help, i guess.

Piper

I had astro all my EL life and recently removed cause of new manu quest reward perk.

i did not believe it at the first but i came to like astro. Sometimes it is bad as having neg astro and going for instance but at the same time it is good for my feros training.

Anyway,

i believe that having some info about astro at the tutorial npc would not be that bad, maybe giving away some indicators too.

Having things fail miserably when you're first starting out can be discouraging. I know at least one case where a newbie was doing the FE "quest" for the Tutorial NPC and failed to create an FE all five times. It seems to me that giving positive astrology (positive in the results sense, not necessarily the numbers sense) for skill levels 0 and 1 would give newbies a chance to see how things work when they work. Even better, IMO, would be to let them always succeed.

I think you have been misinformed by the newbie in question.

First of all the newbie gets 10 sets of ingredients, not 5.

Secondly the chance that the newbie crit fails all 10 fe-s in a row is close to impossible even at terrible astro.

More likely what happened is that the newbie made the fe at storage in spite of the BIG CAPITALIZED WARNING the tutorial NPC gives to make it at his feet. More newbies have made this error since they don't seem to be able to read, people are often there to help them if it happens, but this is a case of poor reading skills, not bad astro.