Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Puntif

Binoculars

Maybe we could have an item that works kind of like binoculars (I picture it as a variation on gnomish eyeglasses). When they are equipped your area of vision shifts. Instead of being aware of all creatures/mines/bags in a radius around your current location, you would see creatures within a circular area centered in front of you. You would be able to see some creatures farther away but only in the direction you are facing. You would not see anything behind you (or only for a short distance behind you depending how far you decide to shift the field of vision). I guess the field of vision could either stay as a circle or be altered into a triangle while wearing the farseeing glasses.

The only use for this item I can think of is finding spawns, PKers and Leonard faster. Just assuming it would have to be faster than walking around and looking to be of any use at all. Finding invasion monsters too?

Tirun

It might help archery - spotting targets from farther away even while they are out of range. Also in group-against-group combat situations, being able to spy on your enemy's position would be fun as would scanning the horizon for approaching enemies.

It might help archery - spotting targets from farther away even while they are out of range. Also in group-against-group combat situations, being able to spy on your enemy's position would be fun as would scanning the horizon for approaching enemies.

Since the visibility range/area is controlled by the server, this means you physically would have to turn your character to look around and the bandwidth usage would be amost as bad as walking around to those areas (because of all the add/remove of actors). This can't be moved into the client because people would create hacked versions of the client with full vision.

This would require a LOT of server work in order to implement the vision not being a circle around the player.

Separate the concept of centre-of-vision from actor-position; the server tells the client that the character is at position (x,y) (cf. teleport), and reports other actors visible about that point, except for the character's avatar which remains the previous location for others to see (and interact with, the character would be rather helpless).

Does the client link avatar and pov positions, or does it treat the avatar as just another actor?

Still, while it would be an interesting item, does the effort justified the benefit?

Footnotes:

1. Characters attacked (locally) while peering through binoculars would be at a great disadvantage of course.

2. Could cast a spell through binoculars on a visible target (are they in some way magical?), though any action should pull the user back to their own position.

3. I don't think that telescopic sights benefit archery. Maybe since EL has very limited ranges it lets you target further, but there should still be a range penalty (longer shots have more arched flight path).

Update 2008-08-27

Another use for "remote viewing" is to support peeking through spy-holes or key holes; were the "other side" is some distance away on the map grid (or on another map).

This is illustrated in the first panel of the episode of "The Noob" below:

00319.jpg

The Noob, episode 319 "The Patrol"

Similar use would be using devices such as crystal balls, linked to either a fixed, random, or controllable location.

Edited by trollson

3. I don't think that telescopic sights benefit archery. Maybe since EL has very limited ranges it lets you target further, but there should still be a range penalty (longer shots have more arched flight path).

This might lead to long range missiles such as mortar & rocket fire, if we're not careful..heh

the only advantage i can see form this is for bag jumpers really. this way they can be out of sight and walk on the bag asa the player dies.

good for me the PK Server has no bag jumpers lol