Eternal Lands Official Forums
Torg

"Additional" options

I have no ideas so I thought I'd throw this out there.

One of the original ideas I had for the implementation of sound was to have both volume controls and a mute button for each sound type. I feel this would be really handy for me as some times I want to just switch off a sound type temporarily and its much easier than turning it down, and a huge amount easier when I am AFK coding (I have an alert set for PM's to me). Yes, I guess I could type the numbers, but mute buttons make sense.

The question I have is how to implement them? I hate the idea of adding a second option row for each type just for a mute toggle button, it would be much nicer to have a simple toggle button next to the volume. That would of course require a huge amount of hacking of the widget code so I'm not sure its practical or worth it (would it be used for anything else?).

Does anyone have any brilliant ideas on this? (or want to try coding a way to add the mute togglest?)

One of the original ideas I had for the implementation of sound was to have both volume controls and a mute button for each sound type...
How about a volume control button on the hud somewhere. You could easily attach one of the new context menus to this button, opened when the button is clicked, that offers mutes for each sound type. The states could be saved in the el.cfg file or just discarded when you close the client.

The HUD thing is a good idea, but we have to make sure it will work on all the resolutions (not sure if we have space left on 640x480).

am AFK coding (I have an alert set for PM's to me). Yes, I guess I could type the numbers, but mute buttons make sense.

(Sorry about the "probably off-topic, but related" question,but....)

How do you rig that up? You using the CVS or official client?

(Just curious, because an alert for PMs would be great when I'm AFK'king either reading forums or working on bot code.)

How do you rig that up? You using the CVS or official client?

(Just curious, because an alert for PMs would be great when I'm AFK'king either reading forums or working on bot code.)

It is brand new in CVS. Check the NEW_SOUND v1.1 thread for more details.

You can also do it in the current client by configuring a text alert on "[PM from", however this will make the alert sound every time you receive a PM, not just when you are AFK (can be quite scary PMing "help" to a bot. ;-).

Would it be possible to somehow further separate certain types of sounds by options as well? e.g. under character sounds, there are the pain groans (which I absolutely can't stand), and magic sounds (which I would like to hear).

Would it be possible to somehow further separate certain types of sounds by options as well? e.g. under character sounds, there are the pain groans (which I absolutely can't stand), and magic sounds (which I would like to hear).

Yeah it'd be nice if the pain groans and warcrys could be turned off, but the other character sounds left on.

It would be possible to add new categories of sounds to the code, the trick is agreeing on them. ;-)

I think this would require discussion, especially with Roja as she is the one responsible for all the configuration etc (being creative director or whatever).

In the interim, feel free to hack at the config files and comment out the sounds you don't like, or reallocate them to different existing categories.