Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
groomsh

New medallion: Medallion of Air

What do you think about a medallion that would absorb all ranged damage, but after a random amount of damage taken, explode and hurt you with all accumulated damage.

It could be made either with a chance (fe: you have chance 1/1000 that it will explode)

Or at creation time a random counter would be set for max damage it can absorb before exploding

What do you think about a medallion that would absorb all ranged damage, but after a random amount of damage taken, explode and hurt you with all accumulated damage.

It could be made either with a chance (fe: you have chance 1/1000 that it will explode)

Or at creation time a random counter would be set for max damage it can absorb before exploding

The server is not currently setup to track cumulative effects/damage/usage as this medallion would require. Things get hairy if this is added and then the item is added to storage. The next time you grab one, which do you get, the one thats almost dead or the brand new one you already had in there?

Well the storage thing could be done as lifo: last in - first out ... Would be up to you to keep track of which one you deposit :P

All items of a given type are contained in a 'single' slot. Hence, all medallions of one type would be stored in one slot, just bunch of bits. There's no way to say which is which, unless there are several server side changed implemented.

You could look for rotten food topic. It is explained better in there.

Make them non-stackable, eye tool shows how much capacity to absorb is left. If people want to look at more than 36 air meds, well, bad luck, they'll have to use bags.

Make them non-stackable, eye tool shows how much capacity to absorb is left. If people want to look at more than 36 air meds, well, bad luck, they'll have to use bags.

All items stack in storage, so this only helps the carry, not the server related issues for tracking how much they have been used.

i think it would work ok if the counter reset everytime you took it out of storage, you wont have to take many hits before the accumulated damage is gonna kill you completely anyway so it wont make much diffrence. and it should be a random chance each hit (and quite a high one) rather than a set amount of damage.

All items stack in storage, so this only helps the carry, not the server related issues for tracking how much they have been used.

True. As long as the server doesn't learn what unique items are this suggestion can't be implemented.

i think it would work ok if the counter reset everytime you took it out of storage, you wont have to take many hits before the accumulated damage is gonna kill you completely anyway so it wont make much diffrence. and it should be a random chance each hit (and quite a high one) rather than a set amount of damage.

That would make storage an auto-repair for this item. Which means if you pay attention, effectively they may never wear out.

Then consider alternate state-less behaviour.

For example: The item explodes on breaking, inflicting damage.

To avoid a loophole, this requires equipment to be breakable from a missile strike, as from a hand-to-hand blow. Is this the case? I don't know. For that matter, other sources of physical damage should behave the same (eg, rockfall when mining); then an exploding medallion would count as _another_ trigger for further item breakage!

That would make storage an auto-repair for this item. Which means if you pay attention, effectively they may never wear out.

sort of but the fact its random means its total lifetime could never be affected because its not set, and its not very abusable because you ant exactly run back to sto during a fight.

sort of but the fact its random means its total lifetime could never be affected because its not set, and its not very abusable because you ant exactly run back to sto during a fight.

And walking around with a ticking timebomb would appeal to how many pkers, exactly? Not meaning to throw water on your campfire here but if its likely that the item wouldnt get used or be popular ingame then I dont think the developers will want to invest time making it....might be worth checking opinions of people ingame you know would like to use this despite its side effects and let us know if theres a good percentage of interested players?

not my idea mate

im just making a comment on an idea that someone has posted, i didn't even give an opinion on the idea (good or bad) just some ideas on its implementation, so please dont quote me and then appear to address me in your post. if you want to say it is a bad idea, either dont use a quote or quote the OP. i really am not responisble for this idea.

ty

Well ... lot of people say that harvester medallions are not useful, but they are still made and used ...

The only thing you need to adjust is the chance of breaking/exploding.

When you get attacked by 5 people firing with special arrows, it could be handy to have this medallion :rolleyes:

But as it is not possible to implement it atm, this thread can be closed :D

But as it is not possible to implement it atm, this thread can be closed

Nothing wrong with the idea of a medallion of missile protection; just that the details need to be worked out so as to fit within the game.

I seem to recall a stat for missile protection (?), which would be enhanced by the medallion. Then we can work out appropriate negatives to maintain game balance -- ones which can't easily be avoided if you want to use the medallion.

Medallion of Air Ingredients

1 Medalion of Life

1 Enriched magic essence

50 Air essence

1 Binding stone

20 Silver bars

Rec Crafting Level

Medallion Of Air (worth about 28kgc)

1/10 chance of absorbing 1/500 Damage

1/10 chance of degrading to Damaged Medallion of air

Increases Mana by 20

Damaged Medallion of Air (worth about 16kgc)

1/15 chance of absorbing 1/250 damage

1/5 chance of degrading to Unstable Medallion of air

Unstable Medallion of Air (worth about 10kgc)

1/20 chance of absorbing 1/100 damage

1/3 chance of breaking giving damage of 90/2500 air damage 90% chance of leaving air gem.

Air Gem (worth about 100kgc)

Breaks if you die, Allows you to gain 20 mana per minute when worn.

NOT make-able can only be gained by a broken Unstable MoA

Can also be used to make Crown Of Godliness

Absorbs 5 damage when hit.

Crown Of Godliness (worth about 240kgc)

Increases HP by 200

Increases Mana by 200

0.1% chance to Restore 50 Health

10% chance to damage you by 180

Ingredients:

5 Enrichment stones

1 Crown of Life

1 Air Gem

2 Binding stones

1 Crown Of Mana

Rec Crafting Level 120

Very High Break rate (1 in 50)

:) sorry i got carried away with crown of godliness

#edit grammar

Edited by Gildrig!

If you consider a break rate of 1/50 very high, why do you propose break rates for the other items even higher? I don't think anyone would be willing to use an item which costs 28kgc and has a break rate of 1/10, or 16Kgc breaking with 1/5, or 10Kgc with break rate 1/3, much less an item worth 240kgc breaking with 1/50. MoL has a much better break rate and many even consider this to be too costly and breaking too much for making it worth to wear in anything except for show-off events.

Also I am not sure if I got the idea what "absorbing 1/500 damage" means. 1-500, depending on how much you receive? A lower, but constant absorption would IMO make more sense (i.e., chances are 1/15 to absorb 20 damage).

@Gildrig!

The last thing we need is more items that give a weak (a/d/attribs wise) but very rich player a good chance to be able to kill much stronger people. The BoD and rare great swords are bad enough as it is.

PK needs to be kept, as much as possible, in a state where average Joe who plays a couple of hours a day isn't stomped like a 10 a/d newb every time they step in PK by some 16 hour a day / RL$$ player.

Adding more powerful items that cost 100kgc+ is not a good thing, there is already too many such items as it is.

Edited by Korrode

Not long ago somebody has suggested something very similar. A crown adding 1000 HP/MP (or something like it). The idea has been commented as a rather ridiculous one.

Why?

If you consider a break rate of 1/50 very high, why do you propose break rates for the other items even higher? I don't think anyone would be willing to use an item which costs 28kgc and has a break rate of 1/10, or 16Kgc breaking with 1/5, or 10Kgc with break rate 1/3, much less an item worth 240kgc breaking with 1/50.

hi majery :confused:

I think the break rates for the three items were just an example of how several items might be used to simulate the item having taken on damage (making its progress towards explosion storagable) atleast that's how I saw it :P A nice solution though I would imagine someone using it would just remove the item if it became "unstable" and ready to explode. In that case perhaps every level of the air med's condition should have the same or similar break rate (degrade rate whatever) and the rates listed ( 1/10 1/5 and 1/3 ) more like examples of chance of exp;oding when breaking, so that the item is always potetnially dangerous but becomes moreso as it gets used. Though in that case I would make the chance of an unstable med exploding much higher, either certain or extremely likely ( 10/10 or 9/10 rushed examples of worded probability :devlish: ).

As for whether this is a useful item, exactly what exploding incurs and how reliably it blocks damage could affect its likelihood of use, and ofcourse whether ranging is a serious danger to pkers. Maybe they would rather have protection from mines :cry: