Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Arrows testing (test server)

Now that the new client is almost bug free and works on almost all the computers, it's time to do a little bit more testing with the bows and crossbows.

For your convenience, I placed two NPCS at beam on the test server that 'sell' the bows, crossbows and ammo for free. The ammo can be also 'bought' from any general store.

In order to be able to properly test it, you will need to have pre rc 10 installed, and run the pre rc 10 client!!!!!!. If I hear "omfg, lots of resyncs" report, you will be banned from the test server.

If you are using Linux or OSX or some other OS and you want to compile your own client, you will need to do so with MISSILES enabled, and with the pre rc 10 data.

I want to have a massive missiles battle, to determine if there are issues with lag and other things like that. This battle will take place in KF, and for today, there will be absolutely no PKing in KF on the test server except by using missiles weapons. No magic, summoning, mines, hand to hand, etc. combat.

If you find any problem, please post it here, preferably with a screenshot.

To go on the test server, you will need to start your client with test in the command line, like so: el_pre_rc_10.exe test

If you don't know how to do that, ask a friend, chances are good one of your friends or guildies will know.

The test will last for the whole day today, although you are not 'forced' to participate. But I would like to have at least 60+ people in KF at a time, fighting with bows and crossbows. Maybe someone can take a video too.

And one more thing: The actual damage and accuracy for the bows, arrows and crossbows is not final, nor is the experience given, or the formulas to calculate the accuracy. They are semi-final, but they might still be changed a little bit, so feedback about that can help as well.

Got rescyncs more whith short than crossbow if I remember correctly and there were no difference when being few people when shooting every second and then wait some seconds.

Greetings Daniel

What I see as a great pro is that experience is based on distance to target. Good job.

However, you are not locked in combat, you can walk away freely, a bit unfair compared to close combat mode.

there were more resyns when fighting lots of players than fighting in smaller groups, i found no difference when being few people when shooting every second and waiting a few seconds and fireing. there was better exp when further away from target.

And one more thing: The actual damage and accuracy for the bows, arrows and crossbows is not final, nor is the experience given, or the formulas to calculate the accuracy. They are semi-final, but they might still be changed a little bit, so feedback about that can help as well.

note: maybe exp from attacking summons should be lowered, would be to easy to gain exp imho.

note: maybe exp from attacking summons should be lowered, would be to easy to gain exp imho.

Well, if you are a rich player, sure :medieval:

BTW, the exp is not based on the distance, it is based on how difficult it is to reach the target, and many factors are considered, such as your skill, your target's skill, the visibility level (harder at night), if the target is moving, and the distance.

BTW, the exp is not based on the distance, it is based on how difficult it is to reach the target, and many factors are considered, such as your skill, your target's skill, the visibility level (harder at night), if the target is moving, and the distance.

So hitting a flying black dragon with yourself blindfolded, using short bow and over half Idaloran map at night will give you like 1000xp per hit? :medieval:

I have this problem:

nocharsug1.th.jpg

It only started after a while, I had a client crash, and it started again once I reloaded the client, I can see people in, Teleport room, and in Underworld.. but nowhere else.

I don't have an error_log for the current RC, I'm using RC10, which you said to download.

#Edit - Problem sorted, thanks Ent.

Edited by Superman

I'm using RC_10 ... I could see BLACK boxes with numbers in them... but couldn't see any weapon or arrows.

Also client continuesly crashed on me.

I was using a brand new Dell, with intergrated Intel Graphics card.

EDIT:

I was able to equip the BLACK boxes... but no clue what weapon/arrow I had.

Also was able to shoot at bunnies... but my character looked like he was weaponless.

Here is my error report....

Log started at 2008-03-07 14:48:13 localtime (Eastern Standard Time)

[14:48:13] Using the server profile: test

[14:48:14] no bone with name 'arrow' found in skeleton!

[14:48:19] Unable to read missiles definition file actor_defs/missile_defs.xml

[14:48:20] Error: Can't open file "quest.log"

[14:48:20] * server www.eternal-lands.com filename http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates150/files.lst

[14:48:20] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates150/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

[14:48:20] Finished downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates150/files.lst

[14:48:21] * server www.eternal-lands.com filename http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates/custom_files.lst

[14:48:21] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates/custom_files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

[14:48:21] Finished downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates/custom_files.lst

[14:54:46] Unable to add command 25 - 20

[14:54:46] Unable to add command 20 - 6195

[14:54:47] missiles_fire_arrow: -1 is not a valid missile type for shield 7 of actor type 1

Edited by JimP

Did you, like, install pre rc 10 in your el folder?

Yes I did... I was running RC_4....and then I heard about RC_9, so I was running that with no problems.... then today I heard about Bow&arrows... but you need RC_10... so I installed that.

Arrows are pretty cool, nice job! I just noticed in the rat cave on IP that when a rat is walking in or behind some grass you can't shoot them (no line of sight), that's a little odd.

Well, we don't have an attribute for each object to show how penetrable it is, so the server can't tell between a bush and a rock, for example.

Not much to do, and not really a huge problem.

Sometimes I fire two arrows with just one click.

Walk mode, click once to attack creature, arrow fires but does not kill, a bit later a second arrow fires. I get two green messages "z_end ..." and if both arrows hit exp twice (2 messages). This is with crossbow, I'll test the bows now.

/EDIT also happens with long bow

Edited by Florian

This battle will take place in KF, and for today, there will be absolutely no PKing in KF on the test server except by using missiles weapons. No magic, summoning, mines, hand to hand, etc. combat.

I am trying to test but a handfull of griefers are just pking with melee weapons to ruin the test.

Edit: my mistake I didn't know when the official test began or completed.

Edited by robotbob

I have this problem:

nocharsug1.th.jpg

It only started after a while, I had a client crash, and it started again once I reloaded the client, I can see people in, Teleport room, and in Underworld.. but nowhere else.

I don't have an error_log for the current RC, I'm using RC10, which you said to download.

I have the same problem. I can neither see the characters nor interact with them.

Yeha, known problem, will be fixed in RC 11.

In the anim_shadows.vert, remove the following lines:

MAD R1.xyz, R0.xyzx, -light_position_2.w, light_position_2.xyzx;
DP3 R2.x, R1.xyzx, R1.xyzx;
RSQ R2.y, R2.x;
MUL R1.xyz, R1.xyzx, R2.y;
DST R2, R2.xxxx, R2.yyyy;
MUL R2.yz, R2.yzxx, light_position_2.wwww;
DP3 R2.w, R2, attenuation_2;
DP3 R1.x, R1.xyzx, R3.xyzx;
MAX R1.x, R1.x, constant.z;
RCP R2.w, R2.w;
MUL R1.x, R1.x, R2.w;
MAD R4, R1.xxxx, diffuse_2, R4;

MAD R1.xyz, R0.xyzx, -light_position_3.w, light_position_3.xyzx;
RSQ R2.y, R2.x;
MUL R2.yz, R2.yzxx, light_position_3.wwww;
DP3 R2.w, R2, attenuation_3;
RCP R2.w, R2.w;
MUL R1.x, R1.x, R2.w;
MAD R4, R1.xxxx, diffuse_3, R4;

RC10 client crashes for me when i use it with wine.

Small typo when selecting the language,at least i come that far:

Its "Deutsche Sprache auswählen", not "Auswählen".

Piper

Edited by The_Piper

I found the if i clicked like a loon I rysnched alot, but if I took my time and let the loading animation finish I got hardly any..

note: although the official test was over alot of people stayed to test the new bows and find bugs,, so a big thanks to the noobs who started broding..... pr0 :P

Yeha, known problem, will be fixed in RC 11.

In the anim_shadows.vert, remove the following lines:

MAD R1.xyz, R0.xyzx, -light_position_2.w, light_position_2.xyzx;
RSQ R2.y, R2.x;
MUL R2.yz, R2.yzxx, light_position_2.wwww;
DP3 R2.w, R2, attenuation_2;
RCP R2.w, R2.w;
MUL R1.x, R1.x, R2.w;