Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wizzy

Next Invasion

Would be nice to have a clear leader...or a group of leaders in next invasion. Since 1/2 the time when I enter Bethal I walked the wrong way from entrance, clearly I would not be a good choice. I make a much better follower. If people would be intrested in electing a Battle commander. Lets post some nominations and maybe make a poll?

Jumpy

explain why bernie? I can see this being bad, though.

Most people probably wouldn't listen to him/her in the first place, or if that person had bad ideas it would just be chaotic.

Also half the fun of a ndd invasion, or any invasion for that matter, is that you can do whatever you want, or team up with guildies and work togather doing whatever you want.

Maybe just group up with guildies/allies and make squads with leaders yourself? I do it all the time, sorta, just no leader.

Although roleplaying wise, it would be cool to have commanders, however that restricts freedom, which is what games are about :medieval:

My first thought, but it's late so if it doesn't make sense you know why :medieval:

~kGn

Guest ohmygod

Gicu has got the countdown thing down pat so no need for leader to coordinate the charge.

Some agreed strategy in which to coordinate the attacks once we get in would be nice.

ATM everyone just charges in and its everyone for themselves. Most die in 2 seconds then we all have to walk back to flag to do it all again. Mind you regardless of what strategy is used i would expect we all will be walking back from underworld many times anyway, but to make each death count would be better.

Edit: I am talking about the final invasion stage eg Bethel.

Edited by ohmygod

No need for leaders. Maybe when there is no invasion some exploring would solve that problem, to not go the worng way! What we would get from battle commander, if they are trying to type something when 2 giants are on them they are already dead....so it would make theire life harder.

only my 2 eurocents

Troger

Guest ohmygod

I dont know if many know this but invasion monsters act in a fairly predicatable way. The magic users will have noticed that the invasion monsters would not move from the edge of the hillside once it had locked on to them even though it could not reach them and they were free to cast spells at a non moving giant or dragon.

Basically the monsters will keep moving towards thier target till it is dead or out of sight. This means if you stand in VIEW of 600 giants/dragons they will ALL move towards you. Now this is not a good thing because not too many can fight 8 (max opponents you can fight at once) dragons/giants at once and survive for long.

However it is possible to defeat all the monsters. If you watched Toomass/Marwen in the last mortos contest the Toomass character owned all the monsters by himself untill he ran out of ess/srs.

How did he do it?

By being patient and avoiding/fleeing/dissing the giants/dragons ganging him untill he could pick them off one at a time.

What happens in the Bethel invasions?

There is no strategy being used ATM. Believing that they dont have a hope in hell to actually kill a giant/dragon people just beam in stand at the flag and hope for the best.

What they are actualy doing is attracting 50 more giants/dragons to where the 30-40 fighters following them will be beaming in. This means death to them from the over welming mobs numbers attracted by the time every one gets in.

How to win? (bethel)

Well during the last NND bethel invasion Zorro noticed that there was space at the back of the ida/bethel entry flag and the fighters were asked to diss/flee any giants/dragons that attacked them when they beamed in and move to the rally point at the back of the entry point.

This allowed the fighters to be fighting on one front (North) rather than the three fronts (NW, N, S) when standing near the ida/bethel flag.

It also allowed the fighters to turn the tables and gang the giant/dragons rather than the other way around had we all stood near the flag. There were a few gung hoe players that would attract 5-6 giants/dragons to us at once but hey they got to enjoy a nice walk back from underworld.

So i dont know about needing a leader but a good strategy always helps.

Edited by ohmygod

That, imho, is what we need indeed.

While talking on ch6 few weeks ago the caves were mentioned, I went invisible and checked them out. and found out the hard way that these dragons attack to higher positions than the giants :happy:

But after sharing that info we could just sit at the wall and start killing monsters, just like previously said they will not move away from you till you are dead or they are killed.

i also have been thinking about attacking them from insice the cave, where the minerals are, there is a way in with the ladder and when you go out at the door there is only a small path 2tiles wide i think. But that has to be explored first.

Like OMG said, a small place where fighters can't get teamed would be a strategic wonderful place so I think Bethel will need a lot of exploring coming days.

BTW, for the next invasion, I am considering invading Idaloran.

There are a few advantages:

1. Closer to the underworld, storage. (so more broken items :happy:)

2. Larger map, which means less monster density (less lag, easier to kill). BTW, is Idaloran multicombat? If not, it will be posponed after the update.

3. Because of 2, we can have some secondary goals as Conavar suggested here: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=38423

4. Because of the lower monster density, there will be more monsters in waves. For example, two waves, one of 600 giants, the other 400.

Guest ohmygod
I am considering invading Idaloran.

Doh i wanted to see if it would work again.

1. Closer to the underworld, storage. (so more broken items )

Just an idea but maybe in another update place some teleporter things next to underworld exit that will allow recently dead people to use to get back to the map entry. Perhaps one for each of the maps adjacent (sic?) to Ida then there are more maps you can choose from to invade.

BTW, is Idaloran multicombat?

Yes it is.

Im also thinking that people may have trouble getting out of underworld though, but hey maybe that can be the rally point where you can count em down and send em off to thier deaths again lol :happy:

there will be more monsters in waves. For example, two waves, one of 600 giants, the other 400.

lol you are ebul

wont less monster density mean the mages have little to contribute? 20 mages will be sitting around in a safe place like that cliff in bethel, waiting for one monster to walk by every 5 minutes.

just making a point, maybe others think its better to make it all depend on high fighters...

wont less monster density mean the mages have little to contribute? 20 mages will be sitting around in a safe place like that cliff in bethel, waiting for one monster to walk by every 5 minutes.

just making a point, maybe others think its better to make it all depend on high fighters...

Umm, no?

Guest ohmygod

With a normal shooter video game it takes a few trys to make it through a lvl. Well for me anyway i like to play on the uber tough settings its more fun :happy:

With the change in maps the whole approach to this will need to change. To what we dont know. but a possiblity could be the mages need to be more mobile and work more closely with groups of fighters instead of splitting into two serperate groups like in bethel?

I actually think with larger map and less density in monsters it will be easier. Last time i was involved in an invasion in Ida i walked around struggling to find a monster to kill, though somehow i feel it will not be problem this time.

Perhaps now that we know Ida will be the place for the major battle people should be scouting it out and looking for good spots to defend/attack/cast magic from. I know i will be.

For me is the best part to make empty space at the Idaloran/Bethel door, when we first have made it possible to get in, it's just a normal invasion.

If the next invasion will be in Idaloran ,am I not sure I'll stay up for it.

Or go alc in TD maybe.

With the change in maps the whole approach to this will need to change. To what we dont know. but a possiblity could be the mages need to be more mobile and work more closely with groups of fighters instead of splitting into two serperate groups like in bethel?

I actually think with larger map and less density in monsters it will be easier. Last time i was involved in an invasion in Ida i walked around struggling to find a monster to kill, though somehow i feel it will not be problem this time.

Perhaps now that we know Ida will be the place for the major battle people should be scouting it out and looking for good spots to defend/attack/cast magic from. I know i will be.

Did a bit of looking around Ida for my suggestion about objectives and the only reason I didnt include it was the exit to the underworld because for a mass invasion with objectives it is almost perfect, large map to give at least a little bit of movement from the off, plenty of places with bottlenecks that once taken should be easy to control, bridges that split the map into sections that can be taken one at a time etc etc.

IMO mages will be more active and important than in Bethel. Take Ida city walls for example they are accessible around the whole city by stairs ( need defending ;) ) and that in itself gives plenty for the mages to defend and that doesnt include the places outside the city that mages can cast from in relative safety .

The mages might actually have to exercise and move about abit this time :P but there will still be loads for them to do .

And Im sure that Ent will monitor the situation and if he feels 600 giants doesnt fill the map up enough he will dump the other 400 in as well :P ( that is unless there is a max limit that can be placed at anyone time).

As for having a leader, imo there is no need, but if any player/s likes to think up strategys/tactics etc im sure if they are sensible other will listen to there advice ( I know I will).

So get scouting folks we have be warned lol :happy:

Edit: I dont know what plans Ent has for the invasion, but one idea could be, give the players a 30 min warning before it starts , so they can get into position inside the city and then once it starts only summon the 600 monsters ( :D ) outside the city walls (quite close to them), and gives the players an objective from the start .. defend the city and hence the storage area ( and if we dont and giants get in the next 400 are dumped inside the city :D ) or vice versa . dump the first wave inside the city so it has to be retaken, the possiblities are endless and im sure whatever Ent comes up with it will be evil but fun :D

Edited by conavar

And Im sure that Ent will monitor the situation and if he feels 600 giants doesnt fill the map up enough he will dump the other 400 in as well ;)
Please don't give him any more ebul ideas. he's managing quite well by himself! :happy:

Please keep politics out of EL....

Would you like George Bush declaring war on Hurquin because of... um... on account of because! That's why!!

When an invasion begins madness ensues no matter what. Those who are strongest and have the experience to take on the most difficult foes become the 'generals' automatically. Nearly everyone else becomes meat for the enemy no matter how much damage they can inflict (and those of us who do fight and die are as valuable as those who fight and survive if not moreso.)

Trying to create a hierarchy of rank outside of guilds will turn EL into a mass of uncooperative hating people willing to chop each others heads off, and to hell with the invasions!

Few of us don't know the familiar quote, but most of us don't know it correctly. Here is my favorite version:

"Those who do not study History are doomed to repeat it." ~ Georges Santayana, Mexico

The examples are in your schooling, your library, your newspaper..... and enough on the web to turn your brain to smiley-flavored Jello....

No leaders please, just occasional heroes!

And Im sure that Ent will monitor the situation and if he feels 600 giants doesnt fill the map up enough he will dump the other 400 in as well :omg: ( that is unless there is a max limit that can be placed at anyone time).

There is a limit of 2K AI in the game, and almost 1400 are already taken. I will up the limit soon, but can't do it before the update.

Would you like George Bush declaring war on Hurquin because of... um... on account of because! That's why!!

Mushrooms of mass destruction of course :D:wacko:

When an invasion begins madness ensues no matter what. Those who are strongest and have the experience to take on the most difficult foes become the 'generals' automatically. Nearly everyone else becomes meat for the enemy no matter how much damage they can inflict (and those of us who do fight and die are as valuable as those who fight and survive if not moreso.)

Trying to create a hierarchy of rank outside of guilds will turn EL into a mass of uncooperative hating people willing to chop each others heads off, and to hell with the invasions!

Few of us don't know the familiar quote, but most of us don't know it correctly. Here is my favorite version:

"Those who do not study History are doomed to repeat it." ~ Georges Santayana, Mexico

The examples are in your schooling, your library, your newspaper..... and enough on the web to turn your brain to smiley-flavored Jello....

No leaders please, just occasional heroes!

lol

Well Poitics or not. I EL is a small group of players. And I am sure that a friend of mine, is another friends enemy. And my most hated enemy is a friend of a friend. Invasions like this bring us all together for a laugh....Not sure if George Bush has a char in this game or not..If he did I am sure he would be on outlaws! :wacko: Leadership, the best kind, comes through extensive experience. And some of the folks in game have a lot more then others. I would say best we listen to them and minimize loses. As much as I like burning through 200 emps during these invasion, if we can get the same result in the same time with only me using 100 I would be a little happier.

Jumpy

Politics are fun, i hope there are more political features implemented in EL in future. Like voting for city leaders, etc.. i know there are some guilds who are democratic and vote for leaders weekly or monthly.

Whats wrong with politics?

There's no need for appointed leaders. People tend to form small parties where a leader pops up out of nowhere anyways. Besides, if EL needs a temporary hero to step up and organize the players, there's more than enough players to do so.