Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sadarar

Prayers

Now that astorlogy has been introduced to the game I wondered if it would be possible to influence events further using prayers.

I am thinking maybe for each god you worship ( and maybe worship level dependant) you get a little prayer power each hour. You can then use this prayer power to influence randomness inthe same way as astrology, either for yourself or for others.

This effect should be small, so a prayer for yourself to get less events for example would make little difference. but I was thinking if prayers were stackable, then it would be cool for people to pray for others. for example, a guild project to make CoLs, all guildies could pray for less fails for the crafter. or maybe in a big battle a player may ask for prayers to boost a/d.

It shouldn't be a mjaor influence on the game in general - but I was thinking something like if 20 people saved prayers for 1 week and all prayed for 1 person, the effect would be approx double the effect of astro. The key is that prayers should be special, not used without thought, and of course the effect is not so great to make a newby into a pr0

Edited by sadarar

A decent idea, but some godless people will bitch that they should get their PP's back -_-

bitching because negative perk doesn't allow you to do something ? can't be :P

Edited by Desertus

A decent idea, but some godless people will bitch that they should get their PP's back -_-

bitching because negative perk doesn't allow you to do something ? can't be :D

As long as it is ridiculous. Remember the Artificer perk row?

I really like this idea. Prayers are, imo, in one package with following gods. Sure there are blessings (payable) and additional XP, they're really nice. However, one prayer per in-game day would be nifty.

Of course, your god may be quite unhappy with your performance and you will suffer from its anger.

The effects of prayers should last for all they long starting from the praying.

I like this idea. :) But I have a couple of questions and comments about it (below).

First, if you get the prayer power by serving a god, then the prayer should be directed to the god, right? So I don't know if it would make sense to have the prayers directly relate to what astrology covers, because then it would just be un-doing (slightly) astro. Instead, I think you should be able to pray for temporary blessings in the skills ruled by the given god, and the mild boost from that would counter (maybe) the effect of astro.

Second, if you get prayer power from gods, I think it would be a good incentive to implement all the gods.

Third, how to use the prayer power. Maybe you could get a icon -- a scroll or an open book -- that takes up a slot in inv but no emu, like gc, and use it to "cast" the prayer like casting remote heal on yourself or someone else.

Fourth, once you've cast a prayer, do you have to go back to the god's temple to get another prayer? Can you get more than one prayer from a god at a time? Or do you get enough power for, say, 4 or 5 prayers before having to go back to the temple? Or does the prayer icon (or other trigger) stay with you as long as you are a servant of the god, and the prayer power is automatically renewed daily, getting stronger as you advance with the god?

Fifth, finally, what does serving a god mean in this case? I thought it meant doing the god's quests, but what about when you finish them? Do you get prayers from that god forever after finishing all the quests? What if you decide to do an enemy god's quests? Say, if you do Aluwen's quests, and get her prayer power, and then you do Mortos's quests, do you lose Aluwen's prayer power, and would there be a way to get it back? Might you even get a penalty from Aluwen?

I haven't done any god quests yet, but if I had this option, and if all the gods were implemented, I'd be a holy-rollin' servant of Elandria and Aluwen (maybe Jayden too)! :icon13:

I like this idea. :) But I have a couple of questions and comments about it (below).

First, if you get the prayer power by serving a god, then the prayer should be directed to the god, right? So I don't know if it would make sense to have the prayers directly relate to what astrology covers, because then it would just be un-doing (slightly) astro. Instead, I think you should be able to pray for temporary blessings in the skills ruled by the given god, and the mild boost from that would counter (maybe) the effect of astro.

The way I see it, prayer power works kind of like mana, except there is no visible way to see your current prayer power, and no potion etc to recharge fast. if you have 3 gods at full power, then recharge is max speed, 1 god full power then 1/3 speed, no gods, then you dont have a prayer ;) "Prayer power" is generic, and not directly related to a specific god

Second, if you get prayer power from gods, I think it would be a good incentive to implement all the gods.

How so? Even with one god, the idea could work, the number of gods in game is not important, only the number you worship and the levels of worship. Even this is only an idea, prayers could work just as well if everyone gets a little prayer power each day regardless of gods.

Third, how to use the prayer power. Maybe you could get a icon -- a scroll or an open book -- that takes up a slot in inv but no emu, like gc, and use it to "cast" the prayer like casting remote heal on yourself or someone else.

I guess some kind of dialog, type in the players name, select the blessing/curse you wish to send and click the button. I dunno, there may be a better way, it's not really all that important for the concept to be understood.

Fourth, once you've cast a prayer, do you have to go back to the god's temple to get another prayer? Can you get more than one prayer from a god at a time? Or do you get enough power for, say, 4 or 5 prayers before having to go back to the temple? Or does the prayer icon (or other trigger) stay with you as long as you are a servant of the god, and the prayer power is automatically renewed daily, getting stronger as you advance with the god?

you can make prayerevery minute if you like, but the prayer's power increases every minute/hour/day you don't pray, up to a maximum. If you only pray once a month, you have a powerful prayer, pray each hour and your prayers are not worth a god's fart ;)

Fifth, finally, what does serving a god mean in this case? I thought it meant doing the god's quests, but what about when you finish them? Do you get prayers from that god forever after finishing all the quests? What if you decide to do an enemy god's quests? Say, if you do Aluwen's quests, and get her prayer power, and then you do Mortos's quests, do you lose Aluwen's prayer power, and would there be a way to get it back? Might you even get a penalty from Aluwen?

yes, I meant doing the god quests. Once you have the levels, your prayer power will increase faster. no gods=no prayer power.

I haven't done any god quests yet, but if I had this option, and if all the gods were implemented, I'd be a holy-rollin' servant of Elandria and Aluwen (maybe Jayden too)! :D

This has nothing to do with prayers as I envisage them. You seem to think that the prayers would boost an individual skill, but there are already blessings for this. The way to get max benefit from prayers would be for a group of people to pray for one person, and for more general areas of blessing along the lines of astro (but not necessarily identical) the god(s) they serve is not important, so long as they have at least one level with any god, they have some prayer power.

The way I see it, prayer power works kind of like mana, except there is no visible way to see your current prayer power, and no potion etc to recharge fast. if you have 3 gods at full power, then recharge is max speed, 1 god full power then 1/3 speed, no gods, then you dont have a prayer ;) "Prayer power" is generic, and not directly related to a specific god

How so? Even with one god, the idea could work, the number of gods in game is not important, only the number you worship and the levels of worship. Even this is only an idea, prayers could work just as well if everyone gets a little prayer power each day regardless of gods.

I guess some kind of dialog, type in the players name, select the blessing/curse you wish to send and click the button. I dunno, there may be a better way, it's not really all that important for the concept to be understood.

you can make prayerevery minute if you like, but the prayer's power increases every minute/hour/day you don't pray, up to a maximum. If you only pray once a month, you have a powerful prayer, pray each hour and your prayers are not worth a god's fart ;)

yes, I meant doing the god quests. Once you have the levels, your prayer power will increase faster. no gods=no prayer power.

I haven't done any god quests yet, but if I had this option, and if all the gods were implemented, I'd be a holy-rollin' servant of Elandria and Aluwen (maybe Jayden too)! :D

This has nothing to do with prayers as I envisage them. You seem to think that the prayers would boost an individual skill, but there are already blessings for this. The way to get max benefit from prayers would be for a group of people to pray for one person, and for more general areas of blessing along the lines of astro (but not necessarily identical) the god(s) they serve is not important, so long as they have at least one level with any god, they have some prayer power.

I see. That makes sense.

I like this idea a lot too! Here are my opinions on it:

Its a nice idea. But don't forget the dark side. We should have curses too.

Or, maybe if you worship an "evil" god (Mortos, Selain) you get stronger curses/weaker blessings. Obviously with a "good" god (Alluwen) you get stronger blessing and with a more neutral god you get a balance.

Also in my opinion it would be nice if there were other ways to gain prayer power but obviously with limitations. Maybe once every week or month your god's preist will say they require a donation (Or maybe a quest to be done) and if you donate (It could be quite sizeable amount of an item) you get your prayer power instantly refilled or something.

I really do like this idea and think it could add another dimension to astrology (I just hope both the people that have godless or skeptic wont be too angry :devlish:). Thats just my opinion on it ;)

EDIT: Typo's

Edited by evilmangopie

Also in my opinion it would be nice if there were other ways to gain prayer power but obviously with limitations. Maybe once every week or month your god's preist will say they require a donation (Or maybe a quest to be done) and if you donate (It could be quite sizeable amount of an item) you get your prayer power instantly refilled or something.

The slow and limited supply of prayer power was intntional. This shouldn't be something you can buy IMO.

I really do like this idea and think it could add another dimension to astrology (I just hope both the people that have godless or skeptic wont be too angry :devlish:). Thats just my opinion on it ;)

EDIT: Typo's

godless - well, if they are so angry they can reset? Really, the disadvantage of an individual not having prayer power would not be significant. Maybe if an entire largish guild had the perk, but I don't know how many such guilds are in game

Skeptic - well, I see no reason they would be immune. If they have god worship levels, then they could pray, and the effects of prayers/curses on them would still have effect.

Nice ideea, and yes i think there should be curse too. Like cursing a monster or other player...

Or maybe there should be a fail for the prayer, and in that case it would become a curse on the player that is the target of the prayer. :hehe:

Troger

Nice ideea, and yes i think there should be curse too. Like cursing a monster or other player...

Or maybe there should be a fail for the prayer, and in that case it would become a curse on the player that is the target of the prayer. :lurker:

Troger

I dunno about failing on prayers, it seems kinda weird? Maybe if the gods get pissed off with prayer spam from you, but I think not. As for curses, of course as much as a guild may pray for fortune on behalf of a comrade, so they may prey for misfortune on an enemy :confused:

I dunno about failing on prayers, it seems kinda weird? Maybe if the gods get pissed off with prayer spam from you, but I think not. As for curses, of course as much as a guild may pray for fortune on behalf of a comrade, so they may prey for misfortune on an enemy :devlish:

lol "Aphistolas was sent to hell because s/he was annoying Unolas!"

Of course, you wouldn't lose items/health etc.