Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Theladin

Pair of Teleport Spells

Something similiar was mentioned before and rejected and the topic is now locked so I'll bring it up here. I know why the idea of being able to teleport anywhere with a high level spell is not a great idea but what about making it a pair of spells that allow you to teleport to a single preset location.

Set Teleport Spell - Sets the location that the second spell would take you to

Teleport - Teleports you to that set location

This would require anyone using the teleport spell to physically go to that location before being able to teleport there in the future. If they want to be able to teleport to a different location then they would need to go to the new location, cast the set teleport spell, and then can only teleport to that location. This could work from any location in the EL world to any other location (C1-C2 for example). Or there could be multiple sets of teleport spells allowing multi-continent teleportation and single-continent teleportation and even map only teleportation.

Up to the developers, if they like the idea, to figure out what level and what ingredients to use.

-Theladin

This would also take any chance of failing to tele to range in a Pk area to ambush.

So with it alot of people will die in PK to a flawless ambush\summon attack. :blink:

Or there could be multiple sets of teleport spells allowing multi-continent teleportation and single-continent teleportation and even map only teleportation.

Its called Teleport to Portals Room and the I TPTPR version.

At some point, you do have to walk :omg:

Any sort of dead zone means a lot of work keeping up with the changes in maps, new maps, etc.

All it takes is one mistake and a lot could happen to the economy, such as if one person finds a corner in the hydro mine that they can beacon.

If you just want preset locations, well, I think a reasonably cheap spell (less than portals room, in mana, essences, and perhaps required level) that takes you to either the ring or portals room destination would work (because, hey, you can teleport to those anyway, this is just a cheaper way when you're already close).

ed: Darnit, I typoed portlas twice (and apparently it's in my dictionary, or konqueror would have indicated the mistake). Looks like Ent agrees with the against reasons, although I hope he'll still consider the teleport to ring/portals-room destination idea :blink:

Edited by ttlanhil

Yes, it would be easy to implement such a spell, but would make things really easy. Implementing 'dead areas' is too much work.

i'll make some contest really boring and not much of an race...

I think the idea is to make it a spell that can only be used once in a blue moon - with very high requirements.

The problem is that magic users in EL are at a disadvantage...the profit from magic is extremely low compared to stuff like crafting, manufacturing, summoning, fighting...

I think the idea is to make it a spell that can only be used once in a blue moon - with very high requirements.

The problem is that magic users in EL are at a disadvantage...the profit from magic is extremely low compared to stuff like crafting, manufacturing, summoning, fighting...

Fight skellies and than Bones2Gold spell that should make you profit if u really want it... but still, I don't think magic should be profitable skill but support for other skills (fighting, summoning, harv, etc...) - I don't think I ever saw a game or something where you can make money from casting spells... ;)

Edited by skodarap

I don't think I ever saw a game or something where you can make money from casting spells... :P

Then that is a short coming with the design of those games.

It was certainly possible to be a pure-spellcaster in RPGs; in fact, a powerful (or just well played) mages could be the most deadly characters (see anicdote for example). Look also at mage characters in the literature of the genre, the original source material for FRPGs.

I don't think I ever saw a game or something where you can make money from casting spells... :P

It was certainly possible to be a pure-spellcaster in RPGs; in fact, a powerful (or just well played) mages could be the most deadly characters (see anicdote for example). Look also at mage characters in the literature of the genre, the original source material for FRPGs.

Well...I am not much of a fantasy fan (specially not books anyway) so, excuse me for my lack of knowledge in this area...I guess I thought I was a bit better informed but it seems that's not a case.

should like habve a cost like if u cast all ur skils get decreesed by 5 or something

EDIT: temporeraly

Edited by thelethalmoo

I don't think I ever saw a game or something where you can make money from casting spells... :whistle:

When I 1st started EL, i wanted to be a pure magician in the spirit of the old rpgs and fantasy books (mages were the strongest, most feared, or at least, most needed...take Gandalf for example)...I soon realized that magic was one of the least powerful skills in EL..In my opinion, this should change but then it's not up to me, is it? :D