Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
WolfWitch

No Experience in Naralik Magic School

Hope I am not repeating a previous post...I did search honest :)

I have been training here since the last big update with great success. Since the last server update I now get no experience when the spell is cast, though the spell itself is successful. This has been tested in various areas of the school.

Since there was no mention of this on the updates forum and because of this thread, I am assuming it is a bug.

Wolfy

Edit to add link :)

Edited by WolfWitch

I noticed today that spells cast in Total War no longer give experience either, though they used to. I confirmed that they still did after the major update. However, I can't say that I specifically checked after the more recent updates. Perhaps these two cases are linked in some way?

Need more details:

1. What spells did you cast?

2. Does it happen in other locations?

3. Exact coordinates.

4. Try to get someone else in there, see if it also happens with them.

Need more details:

3. Exact coordinates.

Total War

1. Mana Drain

2. In both Morcraven Marsh and Portland at storage

3. in both cases we were right next to storage, roughly [69,150] in MM

4. no others to test with

Magic School

Myself (Blackthorne) and Katryel

1. Mana Drain

2. Tried the Naralik school only

3. Just inside the door [21, 67] Blackthorne and [20,67] Katryel

Myself (Blackthorne) and Helleon and later Katryel

1. Mana Drain

3. Rear pool [66,55] Blackthorne and [66,50] Helleon

4. Tried with Katryel again [65,53] Katryel and [63,54] Blackthorne

Magic School

Myself (Blackthorne) and Fyrrflyy

1. Mana Drain, Life Drain, Harm, and Poison

3. [65,54] Blackthorne, [63,54] Fyrrflyy

Regardless of who cast them all spells tested with the exception of Mana Drain gave experience.

edit:

Taharaji Desert

Myself(Blackthorne) and Walt_Her

1. Mana Drain

2. TD was the only PK map tested

3. [293,183] Blackthorne, [292,186] Walt_Her

Mana Drain gave experience when cast here.

It should also probably be noted that all tests were done at night. Haven't tried Mana Drain in the school during daytime (0:30-3:30).

Edited by jamincollins

Need more details:

3. Exact coordinates.

OH DUH *bangs head on wall* the spell I was casting would help :)

1. I have tried this with poison, harm, life drain, remote heal, restore and mana drain. The only one that gives no exp is mana drain.

2. I dont take part in total war but experience IS given on pk maps

3. AFAIK there are a few areas within Naralik school that have had "the spell" cast over them to allow magick training...other areas give me a message that says its not pk...the areas I checked are 66,54 and 27, 54.

4. Ferny and Gampa were with me the first time I noticed no experience was give...neither of them got experience either :)

Hope this helps and sorry for not providing the info sooner....If I have time to check it before you ID the bug I will try mana drain again during daylight since both times I tested it was night time.

Wolfy

Ok, so no MD exp in any map except for PK maps, right?

That's the expected result, except for the magic school..

Were you guild enemies when you tested MD in the magic school?

No I only MD with allies....much safer that way (allies with guild colour not on the #set_ally_guild command...and yes I know its obvious but thought I would mention it for anyone else out that that wants to test it :) )

Wolfy

Ok, so no MD exp in any map except for PK maps, right?

That's the expected result, except for the magic school..

Were you guild enemies when you tested MD in the magic school?

Yes, experience is gained from all spells with the exception of mana drain. Mana drain gives experience on PK maps only.

Katryel and I have previously been total war enemies, but at the time of testing she was guildless. All other players I tested with have never been guild enemies.

I though you were ok with Total War giving magic experience. I asked Acelon to check the magic experience from Total War with you and he indicated that you had cleared it, calling it "strategy". Did this change?

Well, mana drain ping pong is kind of an abuse, almost, so it's better that this doesn't work in the magic arenas (although this was an unintended side effect).

Well, mana drain ping pong is kind of an abuse, almost, so it's better that this doesn't work in the magic arenas (although this was an unintended side effect).

But by the fact that essences are still being used to cast this, people still have to "pay" to cast the spell...

I don't MD cause of the level, I never knew how much Mana it gave, I honestly figured it'd only give like 10 (thus using 6 mana that would have to be recovered). I was just informed differently.

I actually was wondering a while ago why this was allowed cause I thought it was sorta fishy (although, everything seemed okay, so I didn't speak about it).

Isn't there a way you could edit it, where it doesn't seem like abuse? Besides removing the exp... couldn't it be reduced to 50% in the other areas or something?

I am about clueless on this situation (not being a MD "expert"), I just see a LOT of people are very unhappy about this... (which can't be helped I guess..).

Anyway, I guess this isn't a suggestion topic, I just thought I would post a piece ...

Mana Drain ping pong was the primary method for magic training by those capable of casting it. As I understood it, these schools were for magic training. Seems rather odd that the primary method used by almost everyone able to cast it now no longer works (read gives experience) in the area meant for magic training.

edit: clarified wording

Edited by jamincollins

Yes, they are meant for training, but MD was NOT meant for training, it was meant for combat alone.

Maybe Mana Drain should only give half of the mana it drains to players, that way there is a net lose in mana.

Guest ohmygod

Yes, they are meant for training, but MD was NOT meant for training, it was meant for combat alone.

Maybe Mana Drain should only give half of the mana it drains to players, that way there is a net lose in mana.

Eeek no please leave it as is. It is a good spell and can be used both offensively and defensivly.

Offensive use:

eg: you drain the crap out of someone so they cant restore (they can use xmana to do if they have, but then cant cast mag immune then they die to harm or use xmana then do as below then )

Or

Defensive use:

Drain someone near by without mag immune to gain mana to replentish own and last longer in a fight.

If spell was negative gain to mana then would not be good for pk.

Edited by ohmygod

Lets face it...MD is meant for both training and combat.

Learner...half the mana it trains to players? I don't really see how that effects MD as a training tool. If anything...it makes it better (as a training tool - as any experienced MDer will tell you).

Call it strategy but perhaps PvP exp should be halved.