Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sayre

Snow maps - darker BG for handle/health

Yea Hi.

Pottering around snow maps chasing tigers, noticed that it is extremely difficult at times to see the health numbers of the pair of us due to the light background.

My suggestion is a toggleable (probably not a word) darker alpha background that can go behind the Handle/healthbar/healthpoints display above the character, so that when you are on a snow map, you check the box and a darker see-through rectangle gives the name and health a little contrast.

Huh? ok well this is sorta what I mean

<bodgy photoshop work>

Before:

snow-before.jpg

After:

snow-after.jpg

</bodgy photoshop work>

Ok so my pics dont make it look much better :) but I am sure it would work.

Maybe it could be something that automatically kicks in when the bg is light. Not pretending to know how easy/hard this would be to do but, its a suggestion :P

S.

Edited by Spleenfeeder

can you do this for the chat too? my eyes hurt a lot when i try to read chat on mount of sorrow and other bright white maps :P

There is some really bright maps, which makes your eyes hurt, like that place in imbroglio with 3 fluffs.

Edited by Lorck

This "pain" of bright colors gives the snowlands a special personality :P

Not a bad suggestion, but not needed imo.

Edited by drakoon

can you do this for the chat too? my eyes hurt a lot when i try to read chat on mount of sorrow and other bright white maps :)

Something you can try is to put chat in a window (it's an option you can toggle). Ok it doesn't look nice, but atleast you have a dark bg :P

Putting a background behind text would be pretty easy to do... Personally, however, I think that looks kinda ugly... *hopes Roja can pop up with some great idea about making it easy to read while still looking good*

Putting a background behind text would be pretty easy to do... Personally, however, I think that looks kinda ugly... *hopes Roja can pop up with some great idea about making it easy to read while still looking good*

Oh I couldn't agree more that my quick and nasty mockup was ugly, I just wanted to illustrate what I was going on about. I would have pictured something with rounded corners and nicer alpha blending etc, just something to take the edge off the white on white.

S.

Edit: apparently I cant spell "that"

Edited by Spleenfeeder

I've been thinking about suggesting this for awhile, but for a completely different reason.

I am partially colorblind, so whenever I am in a map with a desert colored ground in daylight, I literally can not see my health bar/numbers at all. I usually get around this by rotating my view till I find a spot that is darker, like rocks or grass clumps. Sometimes, that is not possible, so I take my chances. Yes, at times, that means I get a free trip to the Underworld.

I was gonna suggest an el.ini section where one could specify custom colors for name, and health, but a toggle for a darker alpha would be less headaches.

I've been thinking about suggesting this for awhile, but for a completely different reason.

I am partially colorblind, so whenever I am in a map with a desert colored ground in daylight, I literally can not see my health bar/numbers at all. I usually get around this by rotating my view till I find a spot that is darker, like rocks or grass clumps. Sometimes, that is not possible, so I take my chances. Yes, at times, that means I get a free trip to the Underworld.

I was gonna suggest an el.ini section where one could specify custom colors for name, and health, but a toggle for a darker alpha would be less headaches.

You got a health bar in hud too...

Still agree its annoying tho, the bright colors. :P

You got a health bar in hud too...

Still agree its annoying tho, the bright colors. :)

Yes, I use that as well. Of course, I have to remember to toggle F6 so I can read it :P

The xp you get is impossible to see too, white on white.

I'm colorblind too and have problems with reading text at many places.

IGs are impossible for me to read in many storages, like PL storage, most time I don't even notice them on the stone background.Same with GMs on the snow maps.

And yes, I can look at the health bar, but it's same color all the time, no red warning :)

Would be nice if we could have some background color if needed.

IGs are impossible for me to read in many storages, like PL storage, most time I don't even notice them on the stone background.Same with GMs on the snow maps.
This can be solved by this:
Something you can try is to put chat in a window (it's an option you can toggle). Ok it doesn't look nice, but atleast you have a dark bg :P

I hadn't really taken any notice of that option and agree it looks terrible. I might have a look at tidying this up a bit if I get the chance.

I am partially colorblind, so whenever I am in a map with a desert colored ground in daylight, I literally can not see my health bar/numbers at all.
This is a good reason to add this option. I'm not sure I'd want it permenantly, but to be able to switch it on for those who need it, I think we should try to accomodate them.

Agreed, but I think its probably better to have the option in the client for those who need it (see larrystorch's comment, et al).

The xp you get is impossible to see too, white on white.

There isn't really much we can do about that as a limit has to be drawn somewhere or the whole screen will end up alpha'd. (It's going a little overboard I think).

I'll try to play around with both these options when I get the chance.

I have now committed this code. If you can compile from CVS please check it out and tell me what you think. If you can't compile from CVS unfortunately you will need to wait until the next client release.

This option is disabled by default and can be found under the HUD tab of the options dialog named "Alpha Behind Name/Health Text".