Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
2coolfool

PK arenas

Tried to do a search on this, but nothing came up. My apologies if this has been suggested before.

Basically, there should be an arena or two where players can combat with "no drop", just like the day. Why? looking at the no drop yesterday, it seems that players like to go in and fight on the day. If a lot of players go in, there would certainly be a lot of HE/SRs used and armor breakage. There could be arenas on single combat maps as well as multi combat maps, to allow 1v1 and group fights, etc.

Why should the player go in?

No risk of losing items to death

PK fights, a good way to settle disputes.

Fun free for all's, just like on no drop days.

GC prize for winning(explained later)

Isn't this too imbalancing?

The no drop effect would be countered by the following:

No exp - players would not be able to gain exp and have save PvP

GC fee to enter. A nominal fee, maybe 100-500gc, to add a money sink in game and take a lot of GC out of the game.

Looking at the rate of breakages that happen due to the amount of fighting on no drops, a lot of armor and items will be taken out of the game.

As an example:

Player A and B have an argument. Both go to an arena, pay the npc 500gc(adjustable) and have a fight. Lot of HE/SRs used, and A breaks a piece of armor. At the end of the fight, A wins and B loses. A can exit the arena by visiting another npc inside the arena, and taking his gc prize(~250gc). Net of 750gc would be taken out of the game just there.

Why should people go to other PK maps then?

No exp, so players will not be able to PvP

No monster spawns, and no drops available. (You might say rostogols already prevent drops, but a lot of players just PK to make the other lose rost)

Just a friendly fool trying to make PK more interesting and fun :)

Its not a bad idea. What i would like to see is an arena that will be open one day(6-12 hours) every week.To enter there either to watch or to fight, u should pay to an npc.That day everywhere else should be a peace day so that players will be forced to pk.

1)No brod and nmt should be allowed

2)At the end of the day the top 3 players can take a percentage of the money from the npc.

3)At the end of the year the first 3 players can have their own statues in a map as a reward.

4)If its possible that day inside the arena there shouldnt be cooldowns so that the fights will be spectacular.

5)Rostos should be allowed.If not then players should enter with armour and weapons that require human 4.

I prefer anyway the first option cause fights last longer.

6)Double experience that day(optional) :)

Edited by agis29

How about this. Like agis said scheduled dates, and bystanders will have a bench. but what if there was a red team and blue team, and they all run and go out it at the same time, it would be like a team thing and there could be an objective to get something, like the hyperspace bag on the other side. so while they have two "armys" going at it one player with a key goes to unlock the bag and retrive the contents before the other team does

How about this. Like agis said scheduled dates, and bystanders will have a bench. but what if there was a red team and blue team, and they all run and go out it at the same time, it would be like a team thing and there could be an objective to get something, like the hyperspace bag on the other side. so while they have two "armys" going at it one player with a key goes to unlock the bag and retrive the contents before the other team does

Many suggestions can be made.Regular and scheduled tournaments are very interesting.But it would be very usefull to hear what top 20 (masterpiter,luci etc) have to say about all those things..

At least i think we all agree that we like and we want tournaments-contests-events.

What about a closed arena (like summoning arena in ws) which you can enter by paying 50gc to an npc, when you pay he teleports you into the arena. (The squares around the arena should be 'no spell arena' so no one else could tele in). 50gc seems a fair price for me, and so more people would hop in faster because 500gc is already a lot of gold. I would like it.

Not a bad idea but i suggest when the winner exits arena to get his gc back as a prize and exp should be allowed or else what's the point of this?Only go there pwn someone and realize that u lost ur boots (as example) and win nothing?

Not a bad idea but i suggest when the winner exits arena to get his gc back as a prize and exp should be allowed or else what's the point of this?Only go there pwn someone and realize that u lost ur boots (as example) and win nothing?

The winner doesnt take back his gc only.If 50 players enter that arena the top 3 will take all the money from the npc.(from all 50 players).And to enter u must pay minimum 300gc.Thats the general idea of my suggestion.

Yeah I really like this idea, an npc 500 gc to enter a small no drop, no xp arena and then battle to the death, only like 1 or 2 of them tho, dont need to many of these.

claiming your prize would mean people couldnt come in after the fight started, i love this idea except for claiming the prize (you pay the money, you have the fun, you die) no drops and somehow not allowing BRODs or NMT capes into the arena would make this a lot better for break rates as people would not fear BRODs at arena and could go with their best stuff (to have someone else break)

i think im one of the few but i disagree with this. If you want to fight go to a pk map. If you dont want to lose your best items take a rost. plain and simple. :lipssealed:

Well thats the problem.You don't find people in pk maps...

Only dp arena is full but many fighters there are alt chars full of negs.

I don't like this idea. PK should be fun, but it should be a risk as well. Going to arena just to smash somebody face is just like making a solitaire.

It seems strange to pay 500 and have a max return of 250... Everyone is a loser no matter if you win?

Things that work to attract more players to PK is sun tzu (more exp) and the chance some noob has forgot rosto (why high players make a DP alt), i.e. incentives to fight.

For all the flowing mouths near PK arenas where people say they would fight if x,y and z weren't there, this just isn't true. Making a cushioned environment isn't going to make some loud mouth more likely to stand up for his words.

Nice work on the idea, more discussion is definitely needed on how to improve the numbers in PK and I salut any attempt that brings about more discussion.

EG

Well then if the argument against this idea is that pk needs to be risky, then why not make this risky as well???

Have it be sort of a long walk across a dangerous map.

Or perhaps you have to pay 5k to fight for no risk in there.

It seems strange to pay 500 and have a max return of 250... Everyone is a loser no matter if you win?

Things that work to attract more players to PK is sun tzu (more exp) and the chance some noob has forgot rosto (why high players make a DP alt), i.e. incentives to fight.

For all the flowing mouths near PK arenas where people say they would fight if x,y and z weren't there, this just isn't true. Making a cushioned environment isn't going to make some loud mouth more likely to stand up for his words.

Nice work on the idea, more discussion is definitely needed on how to improve the numbers in PK and I salut any attempt that brings about more discussion.

EG

If 50 players enter an arena(either to watch or to fight) they ll pay 500 gc each.that means 500X50=25000.

If the 3 persons with the most frags take money then its 8333 minimum.

Imagine what will happen if 150 players will enter in 12 hours...

EG

If 50 players enter an arena(either to watch or to fight) they ll pay 500 gc each.that means 500X50=25000.

If the 3 persons with the most frags take money then its 8333 minimum.

Imagine what will happen if 150 players will enter in 12 hours...

You are an idealist with your figures, I'm perfectly capable of making up maths for unrealistic situations too, there aren't more than 20 players at a peak time no drops day in KF.

My understanding was that it was for 1v1 fights but if this is not correct and it allows mass fights then we also have a problem: If this type of idea ever got popular, the top a/d player online would sit in arena and pk anyone who came in for money, how long before it is no longer popular?

EG

Well then if the argument against this idea is that pk needs to be risky, then why not make this risky as well???

Have it be sort of a long walk across a dangerous map.

Or perhaps you have to pay 5k to fight for no risk in there.

What do you mean by 'a dangerous map'? and 'fighting with no risk'?

EG

well a dangerous map... i thought that would mean there would be high lved agressive monsters that you would have to avoid to get there, possibly in a cold area or something just so that there is some risk to pking in an area with no drops.

Fighting with no risk... wasnt that wat this thread was about, a pk arena where you wouldnt drop anything if u die.

well a dangerous map... i thought that would mean there would be high lved agressive monsters that you would have to avoid to get there, possibly in a cold area or something just so that there is some risk to pking in an area with no drops.

Fighting with no risk... wasnt that wat this thread was about, a pk arena where you wouldnt drop anything if u die.

I think many players don't consider monsters a 'risk', players may be hard in a fight because of effects like cooldown, damage rings, harm, mana drain. But the toughest monsters don't do this (giants/yetis, dragons - I haven't fought dragon yet so I cannot be certain but I don't think they do) and if you see them, teleport? Or run through the map invisible and no monsters will attack you... If you are paying 500gc+ for the arena then 2 invis potions wont hurt.

Instead of some arbitrary value you, or 2cool consider a 'risk' to lose, why not unlimited, set by both combatants, if player 2 doesn't play, player 1 may take back his stake. In addition player 2 cannot enter until he meets player 1's stake.

Of course this runs the huge risk I arrange to fight you, but seeing as you are considerably stronger than me, you enter the arena waiting for me, and I send in Mango to fight you in my absense.

My thoughts are unless the idea is simple it will be hard to implement fairly, and I don't feel this is simple.

EG

EDIT - clarification: by 'the idea' I refer to the that by 2cool with or without your (redsox) additions

Edited by evilgeorge

hmm it seems i hadn't put much risk into the idea :o

after some more thinking, it seems that the risk factor needs to be introduced in. how about you keep all your equipped items, but other inv items have a higher chance of dropping? (say 70% instead of 50%)

this would mean some drop/loss everytime, and people might still use rosts, as a lot keep spare weapons/armors in inv such as cutlasses, SoM's etc.

i agree with evilgeorge, it should be a simple & fair PK fight, with risk of loss too

Um. Aislin said this topic has come up before and answer was no. Why? What is wrong with it?

Players main PK prioryty is 2 be fun, devs main PK priority is to be money sink, those 2 r pretty opposite to eachother.

Since devs make the game, PK is way bigger money sink than it was like 2 years ago and way less fun(back then PK was profitable if u had knowledge about the game even if ur character wasnt very strong, hard to belive it, heh? :) .

I hope i wont get banned for my post =/

eMPi