Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
2coolfool

Memory leak?

i was trying to open my browser, but system seemed laggy and disk responses were slow.. so i opened task manager and see this :

ELmemuse.jpg

(highlighted one is for el.exe, but name is cut out)

1.5GB of memory is too much imo.. took about 3 mins for the game to close when i pressed alt-x(game had been open for about 13 hours, maybe that explains the problem)

System Spec:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.061219-0316)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: INTELR

System Model: AWRDACPI

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.06GHz

Memory: 1024MB RAM

Edited by 2coolfool

Dont know much about pc memory managements. But when ever I deleted my chat.log file it seems that my pc starting and using El are faster. Maybe you should try the same.

EL's memory usage here (CVS/Linux) remains sorta-high (16.5% of 512MB, according to `top`) but remains constant. 'el.x86.linux.bin' has currently been operating for approximately five days.

2cool is not alone to had this kind of problem. I had the same some time ago with the official client under linux. Unfortunately, the problem didn't occur again so I don't know where it comes from but if it happens again, I'll make a screenshot of the top command and will try to see what action increase the memory...

to entropy: that figure seemed to me at first as well, only 164MB. but i looked in performance tabs, PF(page file usage) was also about 1.7GB, which caused my system to run slow. when i closed the el client, it dropped to around 500MB, which is it's normal value. maybe i'll get more screenies when/if it occurs again.

Yes, it is possible to have memory leaks, but not 1.5Gb
IIRC, I was over 1Go too. ;)

And it happened during a week-end when there's a lot of players online. I rarely play during WE because I'm often doing something else but rest of the time I never had this issue... So I don't know if it can be related to this but it was the only unusual thing I noticed.

A memory leak existed in the CVS version of the client for about three days (related to teleportation effects), but is fixed now. So, if you had bad luck, you might have caught that one.

I've just reproduced this bug by switching from Iscarlith map to Irinveron map.

Here is a screenshot with the result of a top when I was in Iscarlith:

memoryleak1cf0.th.png

Then the same thing when I entered Irinveron:

memoryleak2cb8.th.png

To do further test, I went back in Idaloran and the memory amount stayed the same. But when I came back in Irinveron, it has increased again:

memoryleak3ha9.th.png

I also did the test with going in Glacmor then coming back and same thing... Moreover, each time I go in Irinveron, it takes between 30-60 seconds to load the map and all the system is slow down...

So I think that if there's a bug, I don't know why but it seems to be related with Irinveron's map. :)

Btw, IIRC the last time the bug occurred for me, it was on the same map.

PS: I was playing for about 5 hours with the official client.

But after a while ... did the memory usage go down? One long standing feature in the client is not to totally delete every item used on a map, but to keep it in a cache incase you go back to the first map right away, or it is needed for the needed map. There is a cache system that will eventually removed unused objects,

dunno if this helps, but when i experienced it it was with the SRM map. yes, mem usage did go down after a few hours, but it all kept staying in virtual memory, slowing the system down.

@learner

I didn't test to play then so I don't know if it finishes to decrease... It's ok to keep objects in memory but is the cache system not here to avoid loading objects that have already been loaded before and that are still in memory? In the actual case, it's like all the objects are loaded again even if they are still in memory... :)

And why does it happen with only some maps?

@2cool

did you test the same thing as me with SRM when it happened to you?

i didn't mean to test it exactly, but i was hauling vials and constantly going from melinis to srm via hurquin. each trip the mem usage was increasing..

i know this is an old topic, but EL is chewing up my memory as i haul feastings in irsis. started at nearly 80 megs of RAM being used, up to 200MB now. i'll post a few screenies of mem usage as soon as i am done hauling, to see how much it can go up to.

Initial :

MWSnap00169.jpg

EDIT: wasn't able to get the screenie of mem usage when done, PC crashed when the mem usage hit about 900MB :)

made about 20 runs of feastings.

fyi, using CVS client compiled april 30

Edited by 2coolfool

just as an fyi, logged in today after rebooting PC, made a few runs to test if bug was still happening. memory usage was normal, not increasing every time.

just guessing, maybe there is a bug in map loading code where it loads a lot of objects and doesnt free them later? most of the times i've had this it has been when i haul stuff, making consistent mapchanges over and over again, after session time has been going on a long while.

El memory usage sure is weird. I've seen my client run with 20 MB and with 160 MB at the same map with noone else around ( not many people in the melinis cave)

Did some debugging yesterday and noticed that for example the execution of CalCoreModel_GetCoreAnimation takes some memory even though that function only returns an already allocated result.

Yes, I have the same issues for a long time and usually it's related to cold maps. Irinveron is one of the maps with this issue, so is Trassian and sometimes Isle of the Forgotten.

Repeatedly changing maps increases memory by a large ammount, like when you're harvesting stuff outside a cave into the cave, up to 32M per mapchange, for the same two maps, so this can't be a cache issue.

Since I'm on FreeBSD and haven't touched the default 512MB max application size, it'll crash eventually before I might have a chance of seeing it reduced.

Outof curiousity: what happens to a file handler if a 3d object references a non-existing 2d object (like with a typo), because the number of times this happens have been greatly reduced after I symlinked some particles, based on not found messages in the error log.

Ok, here's some proof:

session time 7:42. Haven't been on a cold map all day. Take portals to trassian, next change to glamor and notice cracks in the streaming music, good sign for me. So I do a top:

$ top
last pid:  2872;  load averages:  0.58,  0.81,  0.69	 up 0+12:08:55  22:04:32
109 processes: 1 running, 106 sleeping, 2 zombie
CPU states: 13.7% user,  0.0% nice,  1.6% system,  2.0% interrupt, 82.8% idle
Mem: 286M Active, 94M Inact, 90M Wired, 10M Cache, 60M Buf, 8744K Free
Swap: 1024M Total, 236M Used, 788M Free, 23% Inuse

PID USERNAME	THR PRI NICE   SIZE	RES STATE	TIME   WCPU COMMAND
1310 me		  3  20	0   296M   169M kserel 246:28  0.00% el.x86.bsd.bin

Next I enter glacmor skill academy, notice timestamp and mem usage:

$ top
last pid:  2876;  load averages:  0.49,  0.75,  0.67	 up 0+12:09:47  22:05:24
109 processes: 2 running, 105 sleeping, 2 zombie