Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kibora

Show time

it'd be a great help for when people are told to wait 5min between posts :P right now they either click the clock or remember the time... neither of which is as simple as a timestamp... the only reason I haven't gone at this idea before is that it takes up space (and for people who have to run at 640x480, there's already a lot of lines per message)... however I still think it would be of use.

oh, except that I think EL time would be more appropriate for stamps ingame than RL time... you can tell when the new day was in your backlog, etc... probably not a big deal either way

I would absolutely use this. Thanks kibora!!

Edit: Ahh, what ttlanhil said...game time would be nice :devlish:

Edited by Tanyia

i'd love this patch, since i afk a lot and it's hard to see when the messages came during my afk. puts stuff out of context at times. thanks kib :devlish:

I think its useful for sure, you can check how long ago you did something, etc. I think RL time makes a lot more sense though.

can the date be added as well?

Also, since some people might not like it, can it be an option to turn on/off in the config window?

BTW, does it come thru the chat logs with that message? Because chat logs are already time stamped, so it would put the time twice. Needs to either be removed from the chat string when it is enabled or something I guess..

@Roja

1. I don't think the date would be very useful, it would just make the message considerably longer without much purpose. The actual chat_logs are date stamped, but most people log on/off EL (therefore clearing console) once every 24 hours, its not hard to figure out the date.

2. She showed in first screenie that is already able to be configured :icon4:

The problem with using game time is in the first minute (or less) when you log on. The NEW_MINUTE message arrives even though it's not a new minute. There's no way to know the seconds in the first minute unless i call GET_TIME. Or am i wrong?

Yes you can turn on/off the time

As for adding the date it won't be of much use because the time is only being displayed, not logged. And as Atlantis said it would take too much space

Sounds nice!

I'm wondering; when you enable/disable the showing of time, does it

i. show/hide the timestamp for your whole console buffer, or

ii. include/not include the timestamp only in front of the messages you receive after changing the setting?

The problem with using game time is in the first minute (or less) when you log on. The NEW_MINUTE message arrives even though it's not a new minute. There's no way to know the seconds in the first minute unless i call GET_TIME. Or am i wrong?
sorry, I'm used to having seconds on my clock, didn't think about that :)

the patch for seconds on the digital clock is here... basically count how long since the NEW_MINUTE arrived to find out seconds

however, maybe it would be simpler to just use RL time, and remove the timestamp from when it's written to chat_log.txt (and hence only use the one from ingame) if the user has them displayed ingame

sorry, I'm used to having seconds on my clock, didn't think about that :bow_arrow:

the patch for seconds on the digital clock is here... basically count how long since the NEW_MINUTE arrived to find out seconds

copied from the patch site:

Comment

problem 2: the client doesn't know how far into the minute it is when started. once you get the first 'real' NEW_MINUTE the time is right... until then it's just counting seconds from client start... and that can look odd. possilbe solution is parsing the responce when sending a 'get time' to the server, and sending that on connect

that's the problem i was talking about

It shows the time after the feature has been enabled. It does not store the time anywhere so it couldn't add the time for previous messages

Oh that's right, I forgot the chat logs are date stamped..and time stamped. Ok so I wouldn't find this useful, but if others would and it's configurable, it sounds good.