Eternal Lands Official Forums
WizzKidd

Up for a Challenge? This is a strange one. [SOLVED]

This is a real strange one. I Manage Freya for Blackthorne. The bot runs on my server, and so I have the password in my bot program. The bot program logs in fine and the bot runs fine as it has since the beginning. However, Freya occasionally moves one or two spaces right or left when she gets disconnected (as all my bots seem to from time to time) and since I have not walking code in them, I have to login to the EL client to move them back home.

When I try to log Freya in via the official EL client, it tells me "Error: The password is wrong!". I have checked the password in the bot's config file about 3 dozen times and tried to login from 3 different computers over the past month. I know that I am not typing it wrong, and I know I am using the correct password, or the bot app would not log in...

So, the challenge is to think about what else could possibly be effecting this? It's driving me crazy! Please help.

Edited by Derin

Just a guess, since it happened to me once:

are you using a laptop? if so maybe you have enabled the use of part of the keyboard as numpad? I remember I even rebooted a couple of time before noticing the little led was on (rebooting didn't disabled it, for me at least).

Idea 2:

have you tried using tcpdump, ethereal or any other prog to get the packets sent to server when the bot logs on and the packet when you manually log and compare them? any difference?

EDIT: typo

Edited by Theryndan

Just a guess, since it happened to me once:

are you using a laptop? if so maybe you have enabled the use of part of the keyboard as numpad? I remember I even rebooted a couple of time before noticing the little led was on (rebooting didn't disabled it, for me at least).

Well, I have tried on 3 different computers. 2 desktop machines, and 1 laptop. Same result from every machine. I have not tried looking at the packets, but I will do so today.

Please check that you are capitalizing the password exactly right! Passwords are case sensitive.

The entire password is lowercase. it is a mixture of numbers and letters, and I am typing it exactly correct. Come on guys.. I am an IT professional, and I write software for a living. It's not the typical "dumb user" issues.

Please check that you are capitalizing the password exactly right! Passwords are case sensitive.

The entire password is lowercase. it is a mixture of numbers and letters, and I am typing it exactly correct. Come on guys.. I am an IT professional, and I write software for a living. It's not the typical "dumb user" issues.

No, it is not all lowercase!

No, it is not all lowercase!

crap.. notepad's font (where I view the config file) was using a font with no difference on the letters in question.. I cut and pasted into word and changed the font.. now I see the uppercase chars.

With egg on my face I humbly appologize. Thanks for the swift kick Learner.

As to the walking a few paces, it may be that when you log in an entity (monster/ player) is in your original position. It happens to me and I freak, I may just add a move_to command for that reason..