Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Blodoks

Unsold items and Ingredients hunters

I copy & paste this my comment from the EL's blog.

Hi.

I read the post and is all interesting, but I'm an EL player too and my attention go here:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warning

2. While working with Lithium Ion batteries, ALWAYS wear eye protection. I usually don't follow warnings, but this is a warning I ALWAYS follow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Warning is interesting and I think can be usefull to solve a EL's problem: the unsold items.

In these days we can se a run to buy ingredients for high lvl items because some mixer will make it for free.

So, why don't obstruct this way?

A player can own, for example, a hydrogenium bar only if he has knowledge, nexus, and alchemy lvl to handle it. In this way we cut off 2nd characters or players don't interested to work but only to have high lvl items quickly and at ingredients cost and, on the other hand, we can have producers more happy to sell the final product in competion with other producers.

In real life we don't go in the Logitech's factory with ingredients, but we buy the final product (good or bad... :P )

Great idea :P

The first problem with that is:

Newbie quest gives out armour etc. No newbs would be able ton receive the items for weeks ingame until they have the knowledge of armour construction etc

Newbie quest gives out armour etc. No newbs would be able ton receive the items for weeks ingame until they have the knowledge of armour construction etc

Maybe he meant just ingredients, not final products :P

But how would this affect trade bots ect? And what would happen for existing items?

I dont like it.

In this case ppl who found hydro bar or any drop which is manuable, would suffer.

If u find some treasure, u cannot use it w/o knowledge, but u can hide it or just give/sell it to some1 who can make good use of it.

Not well thought suggestion,

sorry Blodoks :P

eMPi

Very bad idea.

Destroys the ability of characters to act as Merchants, to trade in ingredients. This not only affects trader bots, but impacts on cooperation and team work.

How do you define an ingredient? Some potions and leather armour are now ingredients, so you cannot own those unless you can also use them to make other things? Therefore a new classification system for items is needed.

Monster drops of ingredients are preferable to finished goods, as they provide feedback from the end consumers back to the artisans. This prevents that -- fighters wouldn't be able to pick up drops of gems or metal.

People can buy rare ingredients and get an artisan to make it for free -- what exactly is wrong with that? It is cooperation between players; the client is going to the effort of gathering the resources, the artisan is getting experience for creating an item. Both are valid aspects of game play, and make a difference from mindnumbing levelling.

Where is the problem you are trying to solve?

I guess he tried to solve the problem of people creating alt characters to store stuff. But the suggestion makes no sense. I don't know how to craft clothing, but I can own and wear it anyways. I don't see your point.

And trollson I think that in most cases the manufactured stuff monsters drop makes sense. When you kill a goblin, doesn't it make sense it drops leather armor, that it might be wearing? what it quite doesn't make sense is that an unarmed monster drops swords or other stuff, the swords an unarmed skeleton drops could be dropped by an armed one, and so on (unarmed monsters could still drop gloves or stuff like that). And the fact wood sprites, imps... drop polished gems makes perfect sense to me as well.

just make NPCs pay a little more for books (200gc~), and for other stuff that we have a lot of

so we can simply sell it :)

Having NPC's pay a lot for things you have a lot of would cause a flood of gc in the economy, breaking it worse. Ask anyone from before the big crash how much people were paying for beaver furs.

And trollson I think that in most cases the manufactured stuff monsters drop makes sense.

There are two things to consider:

1. The effect on the economics and dynamics of the game, which is why I suggest drops of ingredients rather than finished manufacturable items.
  2. A rational for the creature dropping an item.

There can be a solid rational for dropping ingredients, if these are considered scrap from damaged items. An armoured creature may drop pieces of leather instead of leather armour, pants, boot (do you really want to wear a pair of pants that a skeleton died in?), or drop metal bars representing scraps of metal armour, or damaged metal weapons.

For non-intelligent creatures, more "rare ingredient" drops would also form a good feedback from the fighters to the artisans. The original suggestion would prevent collection these items by a pure-fighter -- who may not be able to collect, say, Ferran Horns and Fluffy Skins.

For that matter, what happens to the Miner who uncovers a rare stone? It cannot go in their inventory, they don't know how to pick it up.

One other problem is that the game is evolving. A new item may be introduced without any immediate application (lots of such items recently); can anyone pick these up? If they are free for all, what happens when a receipe is first added that uses them; what happens to those in peoples inventories and stores?

Edited by trollson

I'm talking about particulars ingredients, hydrogenium or wolfram, in this case,

but I can't exclude others.

The majority of players don't know neither where and how to harvest it, but

know it like ingredient for "rare" items thank to the forum or the encyclopedia.

The habit to buy ingredients (not to be merchant but only with the purpose to have

the final product), together this extra-game knowledge, takes to frustrate

(by an economic point of view) the work of the manuers.

A market where is really hard to sell a single item I think is strange, but in the

other hand we have all the players in titanium plate and/or crown and/or with new swords

thanks to the mixers and to this system who help "cooperation and team work". Really nice.

Edited by Blodoks