Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Roja

What we're working on

Just thought I'd post another status report..as it's been a few months since I made the last one.

We hope to have a client update by the end of May. Notice I say "hope", this isn't a guarantee, as we don't make official dates, but this is what we're aiming for.

In this client update there will be a lot of small new features, nothing major, however they are all good improvements to the game. That along with the standard: new monsters, items, maps.

What I'm working on for this update:

-monsters! I've got 3 more left that I'll hopefully be able to finish in time for the next client update. If you didn't see the new ones I made, go to the Art forum to see pictures.

-getting maps ready for the update. We've got a few great ones coming in this update! The mapmakers did an excellent job :)

-One more set of new plate armor, I'm sure you can guess what this one is going to be :D I've got a dark gray-silver & black color scheme planned for it, with cool designs. I'll post pics after I make it.

-One other thing that I'm working on with Vanyel is to try and find some people who like to tell stories and make mini-games & contests to be a part of an Official Events Team! There is a lot of potential for an Events team, lots of things you can do, problem is no one really ever stepped up to do it. Vanyel is taking leadership in this however, which is great, but we need other people too! I don't think people realize really that they actually can make a real game for players, they can be storytellers, game makers! They can provide players with a lot of fun! For more info on this check out this thread, http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24163

After this update, I plane on taking a 1 month break from the game development. I'll still be around on the forums/game, just won't be working on it. I've worked on EL for over 3 years now, almost every single day. I really want to do some projects of my own that I just havne't had time for. The good news for EL is that I plan to learn some new computer programs & techniques in the process that I will in fact be able to apply to EL related things in the future.

Well, that's it for now :)

w00t, mighty Roja speaks again = good news again :)

There should be set 'International day of Roja worshiping' soon :)

PS. Everyone need a break, you deserve it the mostly after 3 years :D

We have all earned a brake. The devs, the players and the people who are stuck in the middle :D

Can't wait for the update. Great job for the people who helped out! :)

- Sistema Silverwish.

Sounds sweet!

Can I ask, what new stuff will you be learning? :) Enjoy your time off. :P

Great work. ;)

- ManH

;) Nice stuff coming up soon! :):P

I hope you have a good time off Roja and thanks for all the cool stuff you have done so far. :)

Well, I really want to learn this program called Zbrush: http://209.132.69.82/zbrush/zbrush2/Z2Home.html

This program is major drooling eye candy for CG artists ;)

Basically it's like sculpting in 3d, on a computer. It's a much more organic and natural approach to sculpting as opposed to other 3d programs, and allows you to make 100x's more detail, 100x's easier.

So perhaps eventually we can have what are called "normal maps" in the game, that will make the characters and objects look more detailed-without adding more polygons to the models.

I also want to use it for illustrating. Just making cool images, because illustrating is something I've always enjoyed doing. One way to bring this to EL is in the form of graphic-novels(comic books basically). Illustrated stories from the game. That's something I want to do in the future for EL.

I don't know if I'll use Zbrush for doing that however, because comics genereally aren't that detailed...I have to experiment with different styles really..However I want to use 3d models because it's easy to pose them into a scene than it is to redraw the characters in 2d for each scene.

Illustrated stories from the game. That's something I want to do in the future for EL.

I don't know if I'll use Zbrush for doing that however, because comics genereally aren't that detailed

Roja,

Comic books are traditionally low-res because they were meant to be inexpensive to produce. If you're going to have books printed, that might still apply. But if you're going to publish on the Web you can use as much detail as you like.

I suspect time and deadlines are what limit the detail in Web comics. Somebody who has to produce 3 or 4 strips a week doesn't have a lot of time for detail.

Dave

I can't wait for this new coloured armour. Hopefully I can wear it and not take it off. Grey-silver and black is as close to Black & White as I wanted and it will fit in well with my current colour scheme. (That is, unless there is a Black & white vertically striped torso. Preferably white tiger or skunk, though I will accept Snow leopards, pandas and panthers)

Oh, and I can't wait for the new maps. In particalur I wanna see Zirankinbar (sp) and Melinus (sp) and Irsis and North Redmoon and more

Edited by MagpieLee

Just thought I'd post another status report..as it's been a few months since I made the last one.

thank you for the update on whats actually happening, wish we could be told a tiny bit more but that could hurt the suprise. but ty, players like me do try to keep up w/ this stuff :)

-One other thing that I'm working on with Vanyel is to try and find some people who like to tell stories and make mini-games & contests to be a part of an Official Events Team! There is a lot of potential for an Events team, lots of things you can do, problem is no one really ever stepped up to do it. Vanyel is taking leadership in this however, which is great, but we need other people too! I don't think people realize really that they actually can make a real game for players, they can be storytellers, game makers! They can provide players with a lot of fun! For more info on this check out this thread, http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24163

i've actually been thinking about looking more into this. (yes, i know it'd need perfect typing for such :icon13: - it's possible u could actually see it out of me afterall...lol) exept that lately i've had more RL stuff to deal w/ currently, i haven't even been able to do such for my guild. maybe when things slow down for me some, i'll propose some ideas to vanyel.

though i would like a complete list of what could/could not b done w/ mods help, so that i can propose appropriate ideas.

After this update, I plane on taking a 1 month break from the game development. I'll still be around on the forums/game, just won't be working on it. I've worked on EL for over 3 years now, almost every single day. I really want to do some projects of my own that I just havne't had time for. The good news for EL is that I plan to learn some new computer programs & techniques in the process that I will in fact be able to apply to EL related things in the future.

even if u don't learn them, u deserve a break. whatever u do, don't forget to enjoy u'rself and relax, :) u earned it.

We have all earned a brake. The devs, the players and the people who are stuck in the middle :D

i agree, all of u devs have done a very good job, creating a beautiful and entertaing game, it's still has it's things that need to b worked out, but i'm confident they will be in due course, but not if the devs stay stressed out and overwhelmed.

i suggest u devs all work out a system, that after each update 1-2 devs get to take a month off. we players can survive and will post in the forums so u can see what's went on w/ the update while u were gone. plus it would leave other devs here to help handle things. if they can't they can still wait. u ppl deserve breaks, and we can survive w/o u, might b hard but we'll deal w/ it :)

well that's my thoughts, take them or leave them as u see fit.

good luck on learning that ZBrush thing :)

looking forward to that update :D

(if you're going on a holiday in your time off, come visit Holland :P )