Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gwain

[RP] Tag

Looked on search for something like that, didn't found anything.

Well, i'm a pen&paper roleplayer, when you start to play in a MMORPG you find out that while you find some fellow roleplayers you also stumble upon lots of players that don't want to roleplay, caring more about their char improvement.

Both ways of playing are good on a massive game like this, but still, it doesn't help you when you want to roleplay with someone and he looks you like 'err... are you ok?', thus making you feel less prone to roleplay again with strangers.

I have seen the RP channel and, while considering it a good thing, i also consider it a metagaming way to communicate, it's good to arrange roleplaying sessions, but a bit tricky to really roleplay.

why i wrote all of this then?

Well i was thinking that it would be cool if you could Enable/disable an [RP] Tag which would Change your character name color, thus making you easily recognizable by fellow RPers.

Of course There would be no other effect than easily recognizing someone that wants to Roleplay when you meet him/her in game. (which is a good thing to start, it helps the 'character involvement')

Cheers, Tharzik.

edit: modified proposal from text tag to color coding

Edited by Tharazik

Rather than adding another tag string on, what about a different color for your name? That way there's no additional length/clutter on the screen, but still easy to identify.

Perhaps a configuration option you could turn on/off.

Edited by bkc56

Rather than adding another tag string on, what about a different color for your name? That way there's no additional length/clutter on the screen, but still easy to identify.

Perhaps a configuration option you could turn on/off.

Excellent idea :)

It would be server side, so it would be a command, like #RP_Tag on, not just a thing you can set in your config pannel. Like bkc said, it would add a lot of clutter, so picking a color for it would be easier and look nicer.

I think this is a great idea also. I want to roleplay more on the game, but the immature 10 year olds kind of ruin things. (No offense to those 10 year olds that DO roleplay :icon13:

I don't see reason to divide players into groups like this. I don't like this idea.

(btw. there is RPG guild)

Regards

Vanyel

"I don't see reason to divide players into groups like this."

I believe it helps those who wish to actually role play do it better. You can only roleplay with people that want to roleplay. Some people just want to max out their attack stat and go around killing things. That's not what this game should be about and I would not wish to roleplay (or attempt to) with a person such as this.

I also believe that if your username isn't roleplay related then you shouldn't be allowed to use this feature. Sorry bkc56. :icon13: It kind of ruins the rp when you're talking with a non-rp name such as that. Maybe we can implement this rule starting with only newbies so the ones that have been on here awhile will be able to do this.

Our RP community does seem a bit flat. I like this idea. We are an mmoRPG, after all :D Perhaps a tag/colored name would help boost the RP community. I don't think it separates people, but it allows them to say "Hey, come RP with me!" a little easier.

I would rather see a colored name than another tag...it's going to look too messy if somebody in a guild rp's as well.

I would rather see a colored name than another tag...it's going to look too messy if somebody in a guild rp's as well.

Yes i agree on the color coded name. i just didn't tought about it when the proposal was made :P

will edit the proposal to show that.

real nice idea. just a thought on colour choice.. if the rp tag colour is "cooler" than the non rp tag colour you might run the risk of some players choosing it for asthetic reasons.

I'd say pink would be a good RP tag, but some people tend to think Pink is cool... Not me, but then again, there aren't that many colors I like. :P

Seriously, I'd like to flag myself RP or not, depending on my mood - personally, I like the idea of people knowing whether I will roleplay just looking at my name - for one thing, I'd have been Arnieman in the game if I hadn't thought I should have a name condusive to roleplay when I started :)

If you make it pink I will PK the first person suggested this colour :looks at Atahn: NO to pink - make it any other colour if you really think it helps.

Vanyel

BUT NOT PINK

PS. If there is a colour for RPers - what will make people not abusing it? What will stop demands to give something similar to fighters, crafters, etc?

If you make it pink I will PK the first person suggested this colour :looks at Atahn: NO to pink - make it any other colour if you really think it helps.

Vanyel

BUT NOT PINK

PS. If there is a colour for RPers - what will make people not abusing it? What will stop demands to give something similar to fighters, crafters, etc?

I think RED would be perfect.. :P

Vanyel

BUT NOT PINK

I think RED would be perfect.. :)

Vanyel: If Pink is selected per my suggestion, I will meet you in whatever PKland you want to meet - I'd deserve the obvious beating that'd ensue.

ville: Suggesting that RPers should be killed? :hug: Don't forget the genre of EL - Without RP, you'd ... not be playing an MMORPG... yeah, it's late, and I'm out of snappy comebacks. Sue me.

Besides, as much as I love the color Red, it is already taken for PKables (or that reddish-pink for invasions).

i like this idea, i play both ways, depending on how some1 speaks to me. having a color for RPers would be nice so i could greet them saying "Hail" instead of hi or hey, and i wouldn't have to make myself known when i choose to say something RP in local by my idea of saying RP: (whatever here)

"I don't see reason to divide players into groups like this."

I believe it helps those who wish to actually role play do it better. You can only roleplay with people that want to roleplay. Some people just want to max out their attack stat and go around killing things. That's not what this game should be about and I would not wish to roleplay (or attempt to) with a person such as this.

I also believe that if your username isn't roleplay related then you shouldn't be allowed to use this feature. Sorry bkc56. :) It kind of ruins the rp when you're talking with a non-rp name such as that. Maybe we can implement this rule starting with only newbies so the ones that have been on here awhile will be able to do this.

i don't think it should be name restricted, when i first started this game i had no clue how many players were playing or how many would b on at any given time. so instead of possibly going through a list of possible RP names, i chose simply to use the identity i've been known by on the net for several years, so i could get in and start trying out the game.

Wouldn't it punish PKables more if THEIR name was made PINK? :P

lol.. add insult to injury - i like it!! i vote we change the PKable name color to pink!!!!

as far as the RP color though, if some1 decides to use it for astetic reasons, then they should know to expect the response they'll get by using it. if they don't like it, and don't like that they get told off for not RPing in teturn, they can simply discontinue using it. imo, if they choose to have the RP color on and not RP,they have no reason what-so-ever to complain about the responses they get for not RPing

I also believe that if your username isn't roleplay related then you shouldn't be allowed to use this feature. Sorry bkc56. :D It kind of ruins the rp when you're talking with a non-rp name such as that. Maybe we can implement this rule starting with only newbies so the ones that have been on here awhile will be able to do this.

Why is tantu more roleplay related than any other name? Just because it doesn't have a number? Restrictions like that will not help to get people into roleplaying. I mean I'm not what you consider a roleplayer, yet I like to do that from time to time...

Apart from that, every name would have to be checked by moderators and approved, which would be an insane amount of work and wouldn't make any sense at all.

About names...it's a really really complicated issue. Ideally, everybody in this game would have a "name", not a bunch of numbers, or letters that make no sense, or silly names like "boywhoplaysonlinegames", or legolas1-299...

*shrugs* But that is impossible to accomplish here, for a variety of reasons, and the names you actually see ingame are the "good" ones...you have no idea what crap gets rejected. So I agree with kl4Uz here, you need to work with what we have, and to restrict "membership" based on their name is only going to limit even further the small amount of people interested in roleplaying. The idea is to attract and welcome, not to reject and push away.

gold would be a good rp color :D mods should be able to like turn off other peoples rp color too and/or give them a time out from doing the rp color change thing :) to stop abuse

I like this idea, it would keep my character from 'embarassing' himself in front of high level players who say whatever they want about me cause their stats are higher than mine supposively giving them more authority lol. But seriously, gold is a color that in my opinion; will be chosen just for looks, why not make it a so-so color like orange or green, neutral colors ya know

I would stay away from red, green, or orange. RP is for everyone that wants to join, including the red/green color blind players.

I just had a thought, and wanted to know about the feasibility of it. So, I'll just present it.

Idea:

When people want to roleplay, they can choose a roleplay "alias", if they choose. Their player name stays the same, but gets colored to mark their RP status - this would still mark any chat they give in local or channels by their character's name, and PMs would still be to that player's name. The difference would be that when someone in RP-mode wants to talk to them, the name would be changed to the "alias" much like the chat filters do words like "tit" (titanium).

Example:

(Let's say I'm in RP, and so is ttlanhil, and ttlanhil has set an alias for himself as "T'lan". For sake of argument, let's say we're at Raven - or somewhere else people might gather - and so's Zelse and Sheesh. For sake of argument, let's say Zelse is also in RP mode, but Sheesh isn't. (I chose ttlanhil to prove the point, Zelse and Sheesh are random selections for being above this post when I typed it.))

I see ttlanhil, and decide to greet him, so I type "hail, ttlanhil!"

Zelse, ttlanhil, and I (and any other RPers in local chat range), will all see "Atahn: hail, t'lan!" on our screens and chat logs. Sheesh (and anyone not in RP) will see "Atahn: hail, ttlanhil!" But, let's say Sheesh wants to say something to ttlanhil - if Sheesh says ttlanhil's name, it will still show up on all of our screens as ttlanhil.

A further idea I had just now was to highlight or otherwise mark lines spoken by RPers to other RPers - with a command to allow people to speak outside of RP for a line (basically, stops the line from being highlighted/marked) without having to unmark RP-speak-mark RP again. So, given the example above, that line I spoke to ttlanhil would be highlighted/marked on all RPer's screens (Zelse, ttlanhil, and I see it marked), but still as normal chat on Sheesh's screen. Sheesh's line would appear normally, and if ttlanhil wanted to respond, but not to RP, he could type something like -RP before he types the line, and it would appear normally on all our screens.

Alright, now, the questions:

1.) Are either of these technically possible, without massive rewrites of code, or other major problems with using of resources?

2.) If these would work, does anyone like these ideas?