Eternal Lands Official Forums
Dizzee

Global pk area

I'd like to state firstly that this is by no means an original idea..

Although I understand the need for pk and non pk areas in most designs I think there might be a nice alternative.

don't you think it is funny, in a world that attempts to approximate a type of "virtual" reality with extra's (ok we have magic and unicorns etc this isn't an invitation to disguss how this isn't a true likeness to reality) how we are magically allowed to do multi combat in some places and not in others and why we are somehow prevented by some higher power from engaging in pvp in some area's and not in others.

So the suggestion is make all area's multicombat and pvp..

But add repercussions for actions in certain areas, for instance, IP is newbie zone, we can't have players popping newbies for cheap thrills.. so although there would be no game mechanics stopping them trying, The wraith who controls this area instantly smites anyone who instigates pvp in IP and being a multi combat area there's nothing stopping the wraith from engaging.

In an area like white stone you can have the regents guards, who not only patrol the area but are able to teleport to area's of conflict.

As the area becomes more dangerous, lawless, the response can be slower untill you get to completely lawless area's with no response and no "outlaw level" effect (explained in a bit).

Guards (even the wraith?) aren't undefetable but would require substantial team effort, high levels, and expensive items... might make interesting battles for the brave!

All players who loose to guards will loose their items and the guards will take them, maybe with a system to offer them to the victims, to prevent bagjumping team mates from intervening.

Maybe such outlaws can be branded as outlaws and when their level drops enough they become instantly attacked by passing guards and if of a sufficeintly high (or low) level guards will teleport to them if they enter certain maps and/or are attackable by anyone without repercussion.. obviously making more secure areas effectivly no go area's for them.. a system where such outlaws after a period of repent and a good number of good deeds may earn redemtion would be needed.. and obviously access to low security area's from the underworld else they'd never get off IP.

such pvp could mean guild maps would be assets to be conquored and defended, whose harvestable assets or monster spawns maybe worth fighting for.

Anyway just an idea, it obviously needs work, currently it might be possable for a high lvl naked player to insta pop a newbie before intervention and having no items, have no real penalty other than the outlaw lvl hit!

Anyway...

I say no. One main strength of EL is that we do not force anyone to participate in any particular skill. This would force everyone to PK, and IMO this definately does not fit with EL.

Good luck...I tried suggesting this just as a random day and got shot down...it won't happen. Not that I'd want the whole world PK all the time, just for like a random hour or something...it would be fun.

It already been suggested before. If you want that, go to other-life. But youll have to pay $5.

Thanks sparhawk, I did look for similar suggestions first, hate repeating posts.. especially ones that get bad responses.

I say no. One main strength of EL is that we do not force anyone to participate in any particular skill. This would force everyone to PK, and IMO this definately does not fit with EL

I truely agree forcing anyone (let alone everyone) into PK is a bad idea but the idea proposes a method to make area's secure enough to make PK a wholely bad idea even though still possable.

Upper right hand corner, use it.
how did I know to expect that!

Reason for edit: responded to Aislinn

Edited by Dizzee

Basically, the point is. PK isn't what EL is about. You won't be able to change the nature of the game, and those who play it.

There are plenty of other places to be able to go and do that.

(which is not suggesting that you should, its just saying that EL isn't the place)

I truely agree forcing anyone (let alone everyone) into PK is a bad idea but the idea proposes a method to make area's secure enough to make PK a wholely bad idea even though still possable.

You're still forcing people to participate in the PK aspect of the game. And IP should NEVER EVER EVER be PK, regardless of whether there are disadvantages to PKing there...

Edited by Tanyia

Basically, the point is. PK isn't what EL is about. You won't be able to change the nature of the game, and those who play it.

There are plenty of other places to be able to go and do that.

(which is not suggesting that you should, its just saying that EL isn't the place)

Thanks, i was worried about getting badly flamed.. it's kinda hard, sometimes, to have a opinion without ppl telling you where to stick your opinion or just simply "go!"

But I kinda disagree in your statement, EL offers PK.. sufficeint PK to dismiss "PK isn't what EL is about".. nothing bad in that, All I've suggested is a more balanced (storyline even) method of having pk area's and no pk area's instead of the current "if you step over this line I can hit you" PK system.. admitedly the line in some cases are whole maps.. but these maps are supposedly adjoining landmasses.. part of the same continent.. the ability to PK is simply stepping through a cave door.. the fact that the "virtual" power that is allows you raise you sword against harmless bunnies but not against armed people just seems a tad unbalanced... and the suggestion was just a method of keeping it balanced while not forcing people into PK

But I kinda disagree in your statement, EL offers PK.. sufficeint PK to dismiss "PK isn't what EL is about"..

I disagree with THIS statement. Just because EL offers PK, doesn't mean that is what EL is about. Just as you wouldn't say EL is about alchemy. It offers a variety of options to all players, without forcing them to do things they don't want to do. And that should never change.

But I kinda disagree in your statement, EL offers PK.. sufficeint PK to dismiss "PK isn't what EL is about"..

I disagree with THIS statement. Just because EL offers PK, doesn't mean that is what EL is about. Just as you wouldn't say EL is about alchemy. It offers a variety of options to all players, without forcing them to do things they don't want to do. And that should never change.

lol, I really don't want to get into a war of words with you Aislinn because I have read many of your other posts.. I disagree with YOUR statement.. my statement did not suggest "EL is about PK" which is what I think you mistook it to do, it does state that there are sufficient PK area's for PK not to be a dismissable aspect of EL.

And my suggestion is to blend these area's into the game instead of having effectivey 4 sets of game rules seperated (as pointed out earlier) by a cave or valley entrance (4 sets are the combination of pk, multicombat and non pk systems)

Edited by Dizzee

lol, I really don't want to get into a war of words with you Aislinn because I have read many of your other posts.. I disagree with YOUR statement.. my statement did not suggest "EL is about PK" which is what I think you mistook it to do, it does state that there are sufficient PK area's for PK not to be a dismissable aspect of EL.

And my suggestion is to blend these area's into the game instead of having effectivey 4 sets of game rules seperated (as pointed out earlier) by a cave or valley entrance (4 sets are the combination of pk, multicombat and non pk systems)

Nobody said to dismiss PK from EL and you obviously are not understanding MY posts. I am saying there is NO reason to make ALL of EL pk because people are here because they like to play mmorpg's and not have to kill somebody. I never said to eliminate it totally. But you want to make it into a totally different game that it just isn't going to be.

All I've suggested is a more balanced (storyline even) method of having pk area's and no pk area's instead of the current "if you step over this line I can hit you" PK system.. admitedly the line in some cases are whole maps.. but these maps are supposedly adjoining landmasses.. part of the same continent.. the ability to PK is simply stepping through a cave door.. the fact that the "virtual" power that is allows you raise you sword against harmless bunnies but not against armed people just seems a tad unbalanced... and the suggestion was just a method of keeping it balanced while not forcing people into PK

Yeah, that is a valid suggestion... and probably should have been the way it was expressed first. The reason why is often more important than what, especially in cases like this.

However, I still don't like the idea of having PK ability anywhere. Part of the design of the game is that there are specifically set aside and segregated areas for PKing, to protect those harvesting and doing all the other roles in the game. There are plenty of people who don't like the PK aspects of the game so having them seperate is kind of like out of sight out of mind. I don't think this is perfect, but it is how alot of the players want it.

If we could come up with an RP *reason* for the segregated PK areas, that would be good.

yup, I can see it won't happen, I thought I had made it clear that area's that currently are safe from Pk would remain safe from PK.

I'd imagin high lvl charactures would not risk loosing expensive (rare) items to engage ppl in safe areas unless it was for a specific reason (warring guilds for instance) and even then risk to loss factors need to be calculated by the engagin party.

There is no reason players could not live their whole EL life out without having to ever enter into PVP.. I just suggested a method where all area's have the same game mechanics and aren't safer due to disabled functions.

Recently, in a thread about a random PKfest day for people with a+d > 120, I made a sarcastic comment about why not just forget this silly pretense that we don't just want to turn EL into PKland.

My honest opinion is that many VITAL mechanics that could make such a system work just do not exist - for instance, the Wraith could not engage you, nor any other NPC at the moment. It would be hard for them to come fight with/for you when they have to stick to point (x,y) on a map.

If there is a problem with PK, it is not because we need to start forcing more people to get involved - it is because every idea is tainted by the existing problem - balance is SEVERELY lacking.

My post is my honest opinion.

This idea is popping all the time. I would suggest just making PKable people suggesting it - they will have what they want.

Regards

Vanyel

I would suggest just making PKable people suggesting it

:):icon13: i agree!

Now THIS is a good idea! And I'll be more than happy to accomodate him personally :)

This idea is popping all the time. I would suggest just making PKable people suggesting it - they will have what they want.
eh... the voluntary outlaw idea kinda meets that... people can chose to be pk-able by other outlaws anywhere in exchange for being able to pk other outlaws anywhere. global PK is a personal choice, and then it's completely fair (as long as the system is set up to prevent abuse... half hour wait before turning it off takes effect, that sort of thing)

Now THIS is a good idea! And I'll be more than happy to accomodate him personally
ok. then make him pkable :mace:

In a well known commercial MMORPG there's the option to set a PK flag. That means you are pkable and able to pk other people with the PK flag, just like ttlanhil mentioned and the system works very well.

And btw.: What's up with the duel feature? It was already done and now seems to get dusty somewhere... This really should go into the client!

Edited by kl4Uz

In a well known commercial MMORPG there's the option to set a PK flag. That means you are pkable and able to pk other people with the PK flag, just like ttlanhil mentioned and the system works very well.

And btw.: What's up with the duel feature? It was already done and now seems to get dusty somewhere... This really should go into the client!

So, when you see weak player with Pk flag on near, you set it on and kill him, when you see strong player and have flag on, you set it off.

So the suggestion is make all area's multicombat and pvp..

And we could call it Conquer!

Oh wait... that name is already the name for a game where you can PK anywhere.

And if such a game already exists, why copy it? Shouldn't games be different from each other?

So, when you see weak player with Pk flag on near, you set it on and kill him, when you see strong player and have flag on, you set it off.

So? Where's the problem? And if you don't want the players to do that, let the PK flag have some sort of cool down... e.g. after you set it off it takes 20 seconds till you are non pk able again.

this flagging idea is also incorperating 2 game mechanics.. 1 that applies whilest pk flagged and one that applies whilest not pk flagged.

My original idea tried to suggest a single game mechanics.

Now I don't know the games mentioned earlier that have pk flagging, but I have some recollection there being some type of diffrence in monster drops/rewards that you get while being flagged? why would a monster drop a diffrent thing for one person and something else for another? and if the only benifit of being flaggged is to be able to pk anywhere then I kinda think the current system offers prity much the same thing, just don't leave pk maps...

My honest opinion is that many VITAL mechanics that could make such a system work just do not exist - for instance, the Wraith could not engage you, nor any other NPC at the moment. It would be hard for them to come fight with/for you when they have to stick to point (x,y) on a map.

I understand that the mechanics aren't there, but this is a game in developement. Although this was just an example, is there any reason why the wraith couldn't have assistances or even replaced by a char that was interactable but able to use magic over a great distance (the lenght of IP) and given the wraiths body.

eh... the voluntary outlaw idea kinda meets that... people can chose to be pk-able by other outlaws anywhere in exchange for being able to pk other outlaws anywhere. global PK is a personal choice, and then it's completely fair (as long as the system is set up to prevent abuse... half hour wait before turning it off takes effect, that sort of thing)

The outlaw suggestion I ment earier was that, players who engage in pk become pkable, in a similar fashion as leveling up a skill, if they engage in pk activities in SECURE area's (area's that have a guard response.. even low or slow response areas) they get, shall we call them, pk points. Once they get 3 pk points they are freely engagable by anyone (even non pk players if they choose) and passing guards auto engage. If they reach 5 pk points then guards teleport to them when they enter certain area's, effectivly outlawing them in certain area's.

In this method it is Lord Luxin's town police that protect the citizens (players) and not a disabled/enabled function, this would mean players are relativly safe within Luxins domain. and as you go further away (map wise) the secuity lessens until the pk maps which are lawless.