Eternal Lands Official Forums
DemonCowboy

Proper Typing etiquette

omg, you will see ! one day i'll pay Ent one his-monthly-work-earning money to ban all people: who suggesting things that were suggested zillion times already/do not reading (and doing) 'Read before posting!' thingy...

i'm wasting my company's internet resources to clicking/loading posts like this one. :devlish:

then maybe instead of clicking/loading pages like this or even playing games at work maybe u should ...oh i dunno ...WORKING?!?!?!?

Like Derin say, being good/evil/neutral is up to the player...but that doesn't mean we can't have some places on the maps that are one of those-in fact there are already.

It would be fun to have some sort of minigame to capture a fort, or certain areas..and me and ent both want more fun strategy games like that which we will try to do in the future.

and Roja i was merely pointing out that good and evil isn't near as simple as u'r trying to make it - it's not something as cut and dry as that person is evil because they do this or they believe in this god - i could pry come up w/ a dozen such instances where that is not the case both in fantasy and in real life and i think u shouldn't try to make it that simple because it will hinder mine and other ppl's game play making it ALOT less fun to play

EDIT: i didn't mean this post to b rude (to Roja) and appologize if it came off that way was just trying to point out neither the karma system nor nething else would b that simple and gen axis we were past the map thing for the most part and i hijacked it for the karma purpose so not to cloud that thread w/ a discussion of this sort so not to prevent it from entering game because the thread became less because of what it is

Edited by DemonCowboy

then maybe instead of clicking/loading pages like this or even playing games at work maybe u should ...oh i dunno ...WORKING?!?!?!?

I'm not playing while working. And you ever heard about breaks ?

Edit: oh, yeah, and also heard about using "." and "," while typing ? Duh.

Edited by Gen_Axis

WOW!!! ty for telling me about those u'd never have understood w/o them!!!! :D:D - this isn't for work i'm not being paid to type here so i will type however loosely i like if that means lack of punctuation, capitalization and anyrhing else that is my right - if u don't like it don't read and don't respond those rights i can never take away from u :)

WOW!!! ty for telling me about those u'd never have understood w/o them!!!! :D:D - this isn't for work i'm not being paid to type here so i will type however loosely i like if that means lack of punctuation, capitalization and anyrhing else that is my right - if u don't like it don't read and don't respond those rights i can never take away from u :)

Well don't complain then if we don't (can't) read your posts (ideas) and therefore we don't respond to them or implement them.

WOW!!! ty for telling me about those u'd never have understood w/o them!!!! :omg::) - this isn't for work i'm not being paid to type here so i will type however loosely i like if that means lack of punctuation, capitalization and anyrhing else that is my right - if u don't like it don't read and don't respond those rights i can never take away from u :)

Running out of quotation marks?

I have some spare ones.

,.,.. ,. .,,.,.,.,.,..,.,..,..,,.,.,......,,,,,,,,

Feel free to use them.

If you find it too hard to communitcate with us whithout using them, ill suggest to enter the next fish shop and buy a bable fish. Maybe that would help.

Piper

Edited by The_Piper

if u mods and others would like to pay transcription rates for correct typing i will give my paypal address untill then if u'r so petty and judgemental not to read something (responding here proves u can) then that's u'r problemjudging ppl by their typing is very poor on u'r part it's not much different than basing a judgement on some1s race religion or creed - just because i choose not to type w/ correct grammar, punctuation, capitalization doesn't mean i can't nor does it mean that other ppl can't as wrong and just attacking a chat addict is NOT the way to bring about change in their behavior i'll go back and forth w/ u all day if u like being polite and judgemental asking politely might have worked had u not decided to attack provoking me this is a free game i'm not paying to play it so i'm nice enough to give a few suggestions here and there on ways to make it better since the devs are open to suggestions

it is not a rule here to type in correct grammar and punctuation or even spelling so don't complain when ppl choose to type messages here like they were chatting in an IRC chatroom saving keystrokes and punctuation - especially since when using a keyboard set to US international u can't use most punctuation in the game neway figure by now u mods would b used to it

i'll tell u what when the devs fix the game's chat system to accept punctuation easier for international keyboard setting i might use it here alittle more here as well

Errr, just a little off topic don't you think.

The point is, if you can't type properly, it makes you look unintelligent, or that you just don't care. What is the point in listening to someone that doesn't care anyway?

this is a free game i'm not paying to play it so i'm nice enough to give a few suggestions here and there on ways to make it better since the devs are open to suggestions

You're right, this is a free game and us devs and mods are nice enough to give hours of our time daily working our tails off so that you DO have a free game to play. And yes, we are open to suggestions, and we are open to not take them too. And if it hurts our eyes to look at it, we are also open to moving along to the next one. Your few suggestions can't compare to the hours upon hours these dedicated people put in to work on this game so I suggest before you start insulting them, you start considering exactly who is working here. And for your information...yes this is a free game...and everyone who works here is a volunteer, not a paid employee.

The point is, if you can't type properly, it makes you look unintelligent, or that you just don't care. What is the point in listening to someone that doesn't care anyway?

the ppl who don't care are the ppl who refuse to READ some1 who types like this has generally been on the net since aol2.1 (when it was a fun sespool of hackers and hacker progs) internet shorthand had been around for a looong time and i've been using it about 10 yrs now and have no intention on stopping it for casual comments to suggestions or even some suggestions if i want to save my 10-15 keystrokes/min it's my right and if u or some1 else thinks they can judge some1's intelligence by their typing care to hazard a guess at my IQ, or my score on the mensa workout? (won't dare claim to b a genius) and since u'r such a good judge can u also tell what kind of person some1 is by thier skin color, religion, or nationality? if u can and can prove it then i'll bow to u for u'r a better man than I

this is a free game i'm not paying to play it so i'm nice enough to give a few suggestions here and there on ways to make it better since the devs are open to suggestions

You're right, this is a free game and us devs and mods are nice enough to give hours of our time daily working our tails off so that you DO have a free game to play. And yes, we are open to suggestions, and we are open to not take them too. And if it hurts our eyes to look at it, we are also open to moving along to the next one. Your few suggestions can't compare to the hours upon hours these dedicated people put in to work on this game so I suggest before you start insulting them, you start considering exactly who is working here. And for your information...yes this is a free game...and everyone who works here is a volunteer, not a paid employee.

well as a rule i don't usually insult or attack ne1 untill they attack me, mine, or in a way i think is wrong, i'll stand up every time for myself, those i have a reason to, or when i feel it's right, and u or no1 else is going to disuade me from following my ways of doing things

i didn't mean to insult any1 for doing things in the game i thank the devs for the jobs they've done and are doing which is a fine job doing things in just they're spare time (providing it's not wasting company resources at their jobs because that raises operating costs needlessly forcing higher prices of the products or services to the consumer) - the mods i understand are doing the best they can given their circumstances. i'm sure the pressure to deal w/ several hundred ppl can b overwhelming causing them to lash out at ppl over nothing at times, because i know it can't b they're suffering from any case of nepotism or letting power get to their head in any way - i'm sure it's just stress causing them to lash out over such petty things

some1 who types like this has generally been on the net since aol2.1 (when it was a fun sespool of hackers and hacker progs) internet shorthand had been around for a looong time and i've been using it about 10 yrs now and have no intention on stopping

lmao. AOL. That says it all.

I've been on the net for about 12 years now so I know my way around.

some1 who types like this has generally been on the net since aol2.1 (when it was a fun sespool of hackers and hacker progs) internet shorthand had been around for a looong time and i've been using it about 10 yrs now and have no intention on stopping

lmao. AOL. That says it all.

I've been on the net for about 12 years now so I know my way around.

good than u should have recognized my net shorthand and should also know that it in no way shows a person's intelligence or lack there of

the ppl who don't care are the ppl who refuse to READ some1 who types like this has generally been on the net since aol2.1 (when it was a fun sespool of hackers and hacker progs) internet shorthand had been around for a looong time and i've been using it about 10 yrs now and have no intention on stopping it for casual comments to suggestions or even some suggestions if i want to save my 10-15 keystrokes/min it's my right and if u or some1 else thinks they can judge some1's intelligence by their typing care to hazard a guess at my IQ, or my score on the mensa workout? (won't dare claim to b a genius) and since u'r such a good judge can u also tell what kind of person some1 is by thier skin color, religion, or nationality? if u can and can prove it then i'll bow to u for u'r a better man than I

well as a rule i don't usually insult or attack ne1 untill they attack me, mine, or in a way i think is wrong, i'll stand up every time for myself, those i have a reason to, or when i feel it's right, and u or no1 else is going to disuade me from following my ways of doing things

It is, but go do it in your basement, not on public forum... and what THAT has to do with 'what kind of person some1 is by thier skin color, religion, or nationality' ?? You think judging someone for his typing style is same as for ex. religion ? C'mon, what beeing lazy has to do with that ?

If you choose to type poorly, at least respect other people and don't do it public... same if you choose pissing on walls, spitting and swearing...

And i don't care about your IQ, because it's not matter of inteligence, but lazyness to 'spare' some keystrokes...

Then choose to break law... and we will see...

EDIT: And it is normal forum, not AOL you used to...

Edited by Gen_Axis

It is, but go do it in your basement, not on("a" goes here) public forum... and what THAT has to do with 'what kind of person some1 is by thier (spelled thEIr) skin color, religion, or nationality' ?? You think judging someone for his typing style is same as for ex. religion ? C'mon, what beeing lazy has to do with that ?

If you choose to type poorly, at least respect other people and don't do it public... same if you choose pissing on walls, spitting and swearing...

And i(forgot to capitalize) don't care about your IQ, because it's not matter of inteligence, but lazyness to 'spare' some keystrokes...

Then choose to break law... and we will see...

EDIT: And it is forgot that pesky "a" again normal forum, not AOL like? you "are" maybe? used to...

actually let's go w/ religion since u so kindly chose to use that as an example judging a person is unintellingent - as Torg suggested here:

u could make the same arguement about the amish that since they don't use technology they are backwards same type of judgement

well what about u'r typing? i've bolded u'r mistakes in this post alone - ppl who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones at least when i do it it's mostly intentional - besides in case u haven't noticed swearing has become part of normal american culture and part of the mainstream in most casual speaking and even in the media and as far as spitting as lame as this arguement is if i was looking u in the eye i'd b glad to spit in u'r face - there's nothing that says i have to b respectful to u or ne1 else - especially when they start being disrespectful in the first place

actually like most ppl in the world i won't say i've never broken a law nor will i say i'll never break another 1 truth is i'll break 1 whenever i deem 1 needs to b broken out of either necessity or just the supidity of the law

EDIT: And it is normal forum, not AOL you used to...

there u go assuming and making snap judgements again , just because i have used aol back then doesn't mean i've used it since - i was illustrating how long i've been using the net and where i started using net slang if u'd bother to actually pay alittle more attention u'd see that - unless u CHOSE to take it out of context just to try to make a point isn't really making a point

lol, Amish are not lazy, and i guess they're behaving normal to other people... give respect if you want respect...

And WOW, you found some errors in phrases written by someone, whos english is third language. At least I didn't make them, because I choose to do them, but because I simply don't know all it rules yet.

STILL it's easier to read than yours i-am-god-i-can-make-everything-everywhere phrases...

Oh, and you're american.... you fit american stereotype great: selfish, stubborn guy, who think he's godlike... and don't respect others. (I apologize other american's, who can feel touched by this)

If you didn't notice YET, it is you here, who is different... you had to tell us about AOL, wow, your lifestyle, choosing how to do things... like we care. You don't want to type normal, go back to your 'world'. Don't make rest people to see that. You're not kid, who HAS to show off, right ?

And don't point my typo's, before you correct all yours.

PS. Badly offtopic. :)

EDIT: Anyone to close this topic ?

Edited by Gen_Axis

Just a comment. You have the right to type any way you want, but then don't be surprised if others won't understand you. It's really hard to read and understand your text, because of the poor punctuation. So if you type like this, then expect that others won't read it if it's more than a few lines long. And neither do I read them, because it simply doesn't worth the time and effort.

And yes, this topic should be closed or moved. Or just the offtopic posts deleted, because there are some good suggestions here, which are worth talking about.

ok there should be an arguments part of the forum, that's where all this should go. come on, get back to the point.

This type of argument should go to the offtopic forum. Arguments about the game should go to general chat.

This type of argument should go to the offtopic forum.

The flames forum was removed for a reason. Offtopic is not a substitute.

Demon, you seem to be very enthusiastic about suggesting changes for the game, and some of your suggestions are pretty good. However, you have a MUCH MUCH (I can't stress that enough) higher chance of people reading them and taking them seriously if they're readable. It takes a LOT of time to make sense of a really long paragraph with no puntuation. It's hard and frustrating to read, so most people won't bother, especially the developers, who are the people you probably want to read them the most ;)

Edited by Tanyia

It takes a LOT of time to make sense of a really long paragraph with no puntuation. It's hard and frustrating to read, so most people won't bother, especially the developers, who are the people you probably want to read them the most ;)

And the reason for this is because we have a LOT of other posts to look through, and a LOT of things that we are supposed to be doing already for the game.

well, the only HONEST thing i could suggest is getting u'r eyes checked, because i have no problem reading posts as bad or worse 1's than my chat style of typing. those belonging to >13 yr olds and ppl posting that have a hard time w/ english w/ spelling, punctuation and all other kinds of errors i can read fine. i really don't think it's a special ability i have or nething, but if u TRUELY have problrems reading those types of replies for priviliges that other players don't get (like info about commands in the client that most don't know about etc etc etc and other perks of that sort - the kind that don't cost nething - i would b willing to officially translate them (and type w/ full punctuation caps and everything else to save myself the work of doing it 2ice). i'ts not that i CAN'T type correctly, it's that i don't because i'm not being paid for it so i'm going to be casual about it. i don't want mod status because it's enough just being a decent guildleader. but i would accept the info privvy to the ppl working on the clients and the like and 411 of that sort. since on dialup i can't d/l the c/c++ compiler to teach myself the language to b of any help that way to get that kind of information, i would b willing to help in other areas, and apparently translation from casual to transcription quality could be beneficial to the dev's tired eyes but being paid to type as a freelancer (sometimes) i'm not going to do transcription quality typing for free. just like a friend that's a mechanic would not fix u'r car like it was in the shop earning his paycheck for free they would make it run but their fixes won't be professional quality. it's the same deal here

edit: and i also concur that the off topic posts should b moved but not deleted because to me this is fun and if gen axis and the others r up to it i'd like to continue it to me this is fun only - if any1 has taken any real offense then i apologize to them

ps that's y i didn't reply to the comment by gen axis - i'll b glad to after it's moved though ;) and am looking forward to it being moved so i can continue w/ them i even thanked them last night in PM because this is fun...lol

Edited by DemonCowboy

I have a thought - he suggests we pay for him to get soneome to translate his posts to something legible - how 'bout we can do that, after he starts paying all the volunteers of their time (devs, mods, writers, etc.) for doing that for him? ;)

DemonCowboy, while the game is free, you should realize why it is so - about everyone (if not everyone) who has worked on this game has put their time in at their own expense. If you want to tell volunteers what we have to put up with for YOU to play the game, maybe you could help contribute in some way?

i was by making casual suggestions

so

1) i will not be dictated in the way i present them just like i don't dictate how the game MUST be made

2) my suggestions are for the devs to take or leave - just as the game is for me to take or leave

3) if u don't like they format in which my suggestions are presented feel free to ask me not to post and i won't it doesn't matter to me - it was just my way of helping for playing this game for the price i am paying

and u took my offer out of context, i offered to translate other's posts that couldn't b read (making mine transcription quality because i wouldn't want to have my own given to me for translation) simply to b "in the loop" of information that other's dont have yet - that is in no way any kind of monetary gain just a way to enhance my playing experience knowing more about the client and having info b4 others (pretty small compensation if u ask me)

but lets move the off-topic posts to a new thread to get back to the suggestions on it i'll b glad to continue to have fun w/ this there untill then i won't respond to the off-topic posts ;)

well, the only HONEST thing i could suggest is getting u'r eyes checked, because i have no problem reading

Yup, he's right! We all have bad eye sight. There's nothing wrong with posts by Demon Cowboy, it's us!

Case closed :D

Bah... as long as I read this all - it's just a pile of crap. I know I'm not good enough in English, but at least I try. I'm trying to follow all this 'a' 'an' 'the' and similar - however it's so difficult for me as a person in whose language something similar just does not exist.

Knowing it I don't demand from anybody using clean, wonderful and fluen English. However, some effort in typing is just a issue of respect.

I am doing my best, 'cause of two reasons:

• I want my readers to udnerstand me and give me a sensible answer;
  • I expect being respected for my posts (unless I'm being mean and sarcastic on purpose). Thus I have to respect them and put at least some work in it.

Why some people just can't follow these two simple rules? Is this that hard to use comas, fullstops, quotation/exclamation/question marks in proper place?

Especially native speakers shall at least try to use proper English. People like me, from non-English speaking countries are still learning the language and forums like this is a place to do it as well as school (well... considering this topic - for sure not good place - sadly).

With all respect

Van

PS. My eyes aren't good, but I wear glasses.

lol, Amish are not lazy, and i guess they're behaving normal to other people... give respect if you want respect...

And WOW, you found some errors in phrases written by someone, whos english is third language. At least I didn't make them, because I choose to do them, but because I simply don't know all it rules yet.

STILL it's easier to read than yours i-am-god-i-can-make-everything-everywhere phrases...

Oh, and you're american.... you fit american stereotype great: selfish, stubborn guy, who think he's godlike... and don't respect others. (I apologize other american's, who can feel touched by this)

If you didn't notice YET, it is you here, who is different... you had to tell us about AOL, wow, your lifestyle, choosing how to do things... like we care. You don't want to type normal, go back to your 'world'. Don't make rest people to see that. You're not kid, who HAS to show off, right ?

And don't point my typo's, before you correct all yours.

PS. Badly offtopic. :D

EDIT: Anyone to close this topic ?

ok now that it's been moved i'll comment on this finally:

about the amish i was showing u how badly u took that whole part of the conversation out of context plain and simple they are the hardest working ppl i know (work too hard in my opinion but thats the way the like it so more power to them)

and tell me in u'r native language do u mean to HONESTLY tell me that that writing casually u still use all propper grammar and punctuation, and use no slang? , if u try to say that u do i wouldn't believe u - i speak english primarily so yes like most ppl speaking english primarily i don't worry about grammar or syntax when speaking casually and i let my typing reflect that, - it's not like i'm writing a resumé here or nething

yes i am an American and proud of it - and that doesn't mean i think i'm better than anybody - but i'm in no way ANYONE'S lesser either if u want me to b respectful to u - u will show respect to myself and any other that u have no real reason to disrespect in the first place (i they disrespect u first as i had u for disrespecting the person who posted that thread in the first place) i in no way believe i am like anything i don't believe in in the first place - but i AM equal to all - the only things that separate ppl are opportunity, chance, and to a degree their own efforts- but even that does not make them less than anybody else

everybody is different to some degree in different things - it's called VARIETY i'm sure that even u and i have common ground in some places just as we have differences here and i only mentioned that isp to show the fact that me and my style of typing have been around a good while, it was the VERSION that was the important part not the isp, but apparently that escaped u completely and my style of typing is still used to day in just about ANY english speaking chatroom in the world and to an extent a few non-english speaking chatrooms - and if i wanted to show off i could this whole thread from my perspective is just an entertaining diversion, just a different kind than the game itself

well, the only HONEST thing i could suggest is getting u'r eyes checked, because i have no problem reading

Yup, he's right! We all have bad eye sight. There's nothing wrong with posts by Demon Cowboy, it's us!

Case closed :)

u took that out of context Roja, the point was that i, and a good few others have no trouble, and i also suggested to u in PM that it could aslo be that u'r putting too much undue strain on u'r eyes w/ u'r video settings, if u'd like i could try it in a larger font for u and see if that helps :)

but i wasn't looking to insult u Roja and if i did i apologize - i was just trying to make the point that out of several hundred ppl here there were 5 that jumped on this and also there are countless chatrooms that have no problem w/ this style of typing, if u'd like i could list several chatrooms u could visit to see my point on an even larger scale, but i wouldn't want to b responsible for putting that much strain on u'r eyes if that's the case

--------------

might i also mention that this started over gen axis being rude in the first place making a comment about company resources that he was using to view a thread about a game that even on a break was using company resources in effect helping raise operating costs (even if marginally) raising the cost of that companies product in turn raising the price to the end consumer

and his only retort to that was my typing

----------

but this is fun.. i hope this thread continues for a good long while :) just please if u'r going to join in take this as i am as a fun of the variety found in most chatrooms that aren't based around meeting ppl - because as long as their taken in the context i have these pissing contests are fun....lol

------

Edit: vanyel i just saw u'r post and if asked nicely i could have cleaned it up a bit , i'll admit i wasn't taking into account ppl who don't even claim to be anywhere near fluent in english. i admit that under the right circumstances, forums (not like this thread) could help teach propper english, but propper english would help u get a grade and pass the course but it won't always necessarily help u to communicate in english - especially in the US where everywhere u go u hear a different accent and syntax and everything else. my typing could also reflect that to a degree, because if u go to Lousiana here in the united states the cajun accent is part french and everywhere u go in america ppl speak differently using the same language and in some instances it also reflects in their typing, and i've also seen for myself that it's the same w/ other languages - if this was all in German (which i speak a little of and am looking for a tutor in if u know any or happen to speak it u'rself) even w/ a translator i know for a fact that i have trouble w/ all the slang - and have trouble w/ the casual typing - but i never 1ce asked them to type correctly in their own native language . imho that would b wrong instead i've tried to learn from it. w/ little success i admit but that's because i don't have an understanding well enough of the basic vocabulary and only know certain key words (and a few taught phrases for speciffic purposes) but i'm sure that after i learn enough then i could also learn how to b casual w/ it as well

i didn't take into account that other ppl were trying to learn english from this forum at all though. just like i gave up trying to learn German in German chatrooms and have letting other ppl tutor and teach me 1 on 1, i figured that was a better way and thought other ppl did that as a whole

but since u were at least mostly respectful and tried an honest attempt at communication and not sarcasm if that was also part request then i will put a small bit of effort to clean up my typing in certain areas (but only alittle, i still don't plan on thinking too much about what i'm typing)

Edited by DemonCowboy