Eternal Lands Official Forums
kanegan

Autoupdate does not work for me and my partner

Can someone please help? I don't think my client has been auto updated cause I don't see the changes mentioned by the other players.

:devlish:

What OS, and did you compile the client yourself, or just download the one from the website?

WinXP? It should have updated normally - what makes you think it didn't?

Also note that the client only performs an update when it starts up - and also only updates certain files. If you are expecting an autoupdater to update the executable, for instance, it doesn't do that.

error_log.txt show Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

but files.lst doesn't appear anywhere in my eternal lands directory

I am using client 1.2.0.

For those who are familiar with the update, can you tell me what is a good way to know for sure if my client is updated? Some significant change that I would notice?

error_log.txt show Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

I am using client 1.2.0.

For those who are familiar with the update, can you tell me what is a good way to know for sure if my client is updated? Some significant change that I would notice?

Look at your character. The face should look very different. Or check the enzyclopedia, there are many new bars listed in the alchemy section.

I am using client 1.2.0.

You need to have permission to write to the EL install directory and all directories and files below that. If you are missing files.lst and it's not downloading, check the permissions of the tmp dir and the main dir. The files are first downloaded into the temp dir and then moved to their destination after they are verified to be correct. The files.lst will ALWAYS be downloaded, whether you are up to date or not.

I am using client 1.2.0.

Look at your character. The face should look very different. Or check the enzyclopedia, there are many new bars listed in the alchemy section.

we don't see the new bars...

I am using client 1.2.0.

You need to have permission to write to the EL install directory and all directories and files below that. If you are missing files.lst and it's not downloading, check the permissions of the tmp dir and the main dir. The files are first downloaded into the temp dir and then moved to their destination after they are verified to be correct. The files.lst will ALWAYS be downloaded, whether you are up to date or not.

In windows xp?

we don't see the new bars...

Yeah, the other one I suggest people look for is a "Creatures" link, instead of "Monsters".

(Monsters is old, Creatures is new.)

In windows xp?

Yeah, even under Windows XP permissions can be a problem, though less frequently as part of the design of XP is to have a more user friendly system through looser security. Anyway, that's kinda off topic.

/Edit: After looking a little deeper I might have found something. Do you access the internet through a proxy server, in particular, web traffic?

Edited by Torg

Yeah, the other one I suggest people look for is a "Creatures" link, instead of "Monsters".

(Monsters is old, Creatures is new.)

Yeah, even under Windows XP permissions can be a problem, though less frequently as part of the design of XP is to have a more user friendly system through looser security. Anyway, that's kinda off topic.

/Edit: After looking a little deeper I might have found something. Do you access the internet through a proxy server, in particular, web traffic?

as of today, still Monsters and not Creatures.

Any ideas how I can check whether my windows xp has the right permissions set for the client to update the files?

Right now, I am behind a proxy. But when I play, it will be from home using ISP's network, don't know if there is a proxy there. Anyway, I can open the files.lst url using IE.

as of today, still Monsters and not Creatures.

Yeah, if it hasn't been able to update by now then it is unlikely to.

Any ideas how I can check whether my windows xp has the right permissions set for the client to update the files?

I actually had a rather large explaintion of exactly how to do this, but now I think it is certainly a proxy issue.

Right now, I am behind a proxy. But when I play, it will be from home using ISP's network, don't know if there is a proxy there. Anyway, I can open the files.lst url using IE.

Hmmmm, ok. This problem appears to almost certainly be a proxy issue so I'll go back to the permissions if needs be (I don't want to add unness complication).

Can you check your proxy settings for your browser.

For internet explorer:

Go to Tools -> Internet Options. Then in the new window, select the "Connections" tab and click "Lan Settings" at the bottom.

In the new window, if the "Proxy Server" checkbox is selected, either record the details in the 2 textboxes, or if they are blank, click the "Advanced" button, and let me know the details next to "HTTP" (address and port).

For firefox

Go to Tools -> Options. Then in the new window, select 'General' on the left and click "Connection Settings". In this new window, if "Manual Proxy Configuration" is selected, record the details for the "HTTP Proxy" (address and port).

/edit: Typo.

Edited by Torg

Hmmmm, ok. This problem appears to almost certainly be a proxy issue so I'll go back to the permissions if needs be (I don't want to add unness complication).

Can you check your proxy settings for your browser.

For internet explorer:

Go to Tools -> Internet Options. Then in the new window, select the "Connections" tab and click "Lan Settings" at the bottom.

In the new window, if the "Proxy Server" checkbox is selected, either record the details in the 2 textboxes, or if they are blank, click the "Advanced" button, and let me know the details next to "HTTP" (address and port).

For firefox

Go to Tools -> Options. Then in the new window, select 'General' on the left and click "Connection Settings". In this new window, if "Manual Proxy Configuration" is selected, record the details for the "HTTP Proxy" (address and port).

/edit: Typo.

I correct myself. I am sure that I am not using any proxy server. The Proxy Server checkbox is unchecked.

In windows XP you need to be logged in as an administrator for the update to work (in most cases).

To check if you have administration rights open the control panel and click user accounts. Next to your name you will see what kind of permissions you have.

Log started at 2006-03-24 22:10:12

Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

Thats all? No error messages like "cant find file xxx.yyy" or "cant write file xxx.yyy"? No messages about missing textures and such?

Piper

Nope. This is it.

A few days back there was the fontv.bmp and commands.lst errors. but I fixed them with the solutions I found here.

Before I fixed the two, the sequence of events went like this.

"the fontv.bmp error"

"the commands.lst error"

that was it.

Oh... one thing has changed.

My error_log.txt used to be very long with new events being appended. But now, the log only contains info from the latest client start......

I have the same problem here, i use windows xp and i already do all the possible solutions u guys talk about here

thats the message of error log

og started at 2006-03-24 15:09:45

Error: Can't open file "./textures/fontv.bmp"

Error: Can't open file "quest.log"

Error: Can't open file "commands.lst"

Edited by exvitermini

Anyone still looking into this? Or am I resigned to having no updates. :)

I have been thinking about it, but I can only come up with two reasons.

The first, is a known issue that EL doesn't handle a proxy server (a fix is being worked on), and the second, is that your client was compiled without the Auto Update feature enabled. If you downloaded this client as an official client from the main EL page, then this can't be the case.

Therefore I'm confused and not sure where to go from here.

Is there someway I can manual do the update?

Technically, yes. But it is rather messy. If you manually download the files.lst file, and then download every file listed in it that has changed (comparing the MD5's of each file), then take that new list and download them from the same place as the files.lst file.

As I said, its a pain. There is no new functionality in the client, just some updated textures and updated Encyc and things so you can play perfectly well without it (the faces just don't look as sexy is about the only visual change). If you would "really, really" like to see the update, I can probably archive the files, or ask Roja to. The updated Encyc can be grabbed from the Encyc Snapshots thread (http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22277)

I would like the update if possible. but more importantly, I hope to solve this problem in view of the future updates that will be pushed out via the same channel.

As I mentioned I do not have any proxy servers set for my browser. Whether my ISP's has some proxy hidden in front of me, that I do not know. Yes, I downloaded the client from the official website.

Do you think uninstalling then reinstalling the game will help?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.