Eternal Lands Official Forums
Drakos7

[patch] Enhanced attack/spell visual feedback

This patch adds a red (attack) or blue (spell) "highlight" under the target, similar to the forcewalk green highlight. Screen clip here for the attack

elmod_highlight1.jpg

The spell looks just the same (but blue). I am thinking of trying to make a more interesting highlight for the spell though.

Patch is on dev.berlios now. Oh and if a dev wishes me to stop posting these things here please let me know.

Edited by Drakos7

I think it is very useful when I accidentally click on a bear. I get the visual feedback that I just did something potentially stupid. But, yes, it really is eye candy.

I think it is very useful when I accidentally click on a bear. I get the visual feedback that I just did something potentially stupid. But, yes, it really is eye candy.

:P You don't need red/blue/green flashy things to tell you that's stupid!

Well, its a kind of eye-candy I like then :P

Ok, i have added a decent particle system to the magic component, but it would require adding another file to the particles/ directory. How should I go about posting that file?

If it were me I would host it somewhere and link to it here. After we have tested it out it may be included in an update.

Have you tried this while being attacked by lots and multiple monsters? I wonder if in an invasion, there'd be a ring around you of red markers

No, the marker only occurs when you click something. It does not persist. It is just like when you click to move.

As far as I know, the server does not send additional information to the client for me to figure out when someone else was healed/harmed/... It would be great to have that so you have an idea of what else is happening around you. I guess I could parse for "You were [harmed/healed/...] by" and add some sort of affects for them, but again, only you would see it on yourself.

No, the marker only occurs when you click something. It does not persist. It is just like when you click to move.

As far as I know, the server does not send additional information to the client for me to figure out when someone else was healed/harmed/... It would be great to have that so you have an idea of what else is happening around you. I guess I could parse for "You were [harmed/healed/...] by" and add some sort of affects for them, but again, only you would see it on yourself.

I do not know the code, but I know a place you may be able to notice. When someone is remote healed their health gained (Or lost) is shown on their bodies, there must be a server call in there somewhere because you can see others gaining/losing health. Just an idea I repeat I have not seen the code.

Yes, I know that section of code, but it only specifies how much they healed, and not how or by whom. It could have been a FR cloak, healing spot, life drain, ...

I updated this in berlios to properly highlight under the target (get the actor_id then x_tilepos, ...) as opposed to under the mouse.