Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Longsh0t

Improvement for Summoning

Ok here goes my first post :P

I've been summoning a few different creatures for a while now, and i was wondering: "What is the purpose of summoning a boar when ur good enough to summon wolves? And is there any other purpose for summoning rabbits, beavers, etc other than getting better at summoning?" :)

Currently the only real usefull creatures in my opinion are Black Bears, Fluffys and Chimerians. These three creatures are strong enough to kill at least a few monsters before they die and i've heard some people use them for pk-ing too (not sure about that though).

With the upcomming update (correct me if i'm wrong), summoners will be able to make summoning stones, so creatures can be summoned by anyone. I can imagine ppl are willing to buy stones to summon Black Bears or Fluffys, but rabbit stones are worthless.

So here is my idea: why not give every creature (at least the low level ones) a special ability?

A few examples:

Wolves

Wolves now have 35 health and can kill 1 or 2 boars if you're lucky. Not very usefull.

Why not make them be able to hunt in packs? Explanation: If you summon 5 wolves they'll be able to simultaniously attack a monster and maybe get a small attack or defence bones for each wolf in the pack. This will not be limited by multi-combat maps.

Rabbits

I only summoned this creatures in the very beginning to get more summoning experience.

Maybe they can serve a purpose as bait? Summon a rabbit and a monster always attacks the rabbit first, giving you time to escape. Newbies can buy cheap rabbit stones when they try to venture in dangerous areas to distract monsters.

Boars

Boars give pretty good experience for the components and maybe low level characters get good defence experience from then, other than that: not very usefull.

Boars are good in finding food, you can make them be able to dig up fruits or vegetables from normal ground. (let a small bag appear on the ground near them with a random number of vegetables or fruits for example)

Skeletons

Also low on health and since summoned creatures have very low defence: not very usefull.

Let skeletons heal themselves with bones they find on the ground. 1 Bone heals 5 matterial points for example (you can also donate a bone to the skeleton by using the "use with-hand" with a bone and the skeleton). Or give them a small attack or defence bonus for each bone they "use".

What do you guys think?

The stones most likely will not come in this update.

You will not be able to summon every animal with a stone.

It's still being debated if the stones will allow anyone to summon a creature, regardless of level.

Much more is to be done with summoning that is posted somewhere. Your ideas there are good though :)

I like your ideas, Though when it comes to summoning, I will let the Dev's decide, I think they have some great ideas on what to do.

I personally like the ideas, perhaps if there was a way to command your summons, just my input

I'm not sure if I like all of your ideas.

Explanation: If you summon 5 wolves they'll be able to simultaniously attack a monster and maybe get a small attack or defence bones for each wolf in the pack. This will not be limited by multi-combat maps.

I don't like the bolded part. There will be zillion ways of abusing this.

Somebody is going to animal spawn and summon like 20 wolves. In outcome: he laggs out couple playrs - happens, but also his wolves are getting control over all spawns around - no chance for others to get their fun. There are mulit combat maps as well as single-combat ones - I see no sense to making some animals being able to not obey this.

About rabbits. Monsters usually attacks first the weaker (taking the defence level). It won't work either way - any monster in game is able to kill rabbit in one hit. No chance to flee.

Boars finding food are interesting. However (bah, there is always something like this), what is the sense of it, except having more fun out of summoning?

Or give them a small attack or defence bonus for each bone they "use".

I'm not very sure of this one. Having it there is very easy way to abuse it and creating uber skeleton (just feed it with many bones), while skeletons are not hardest creatures to summon (fluffs, chimmies, gargs). Not best idea probably. Letting them heal a bit with bones is much better. Again, though, what is the practical sense of it - you won't be able to heal them this way in combat - just too often you would have to 'feed' them. Only usage is not wasting mana for 'heal summoned' spell.

:P search :pinch:

LOL this is the true face of necromancers ----> :pinch:

but yes, search button is probably just too small to spot it :P

Edited by vanyel

Thx for the replies :pinch:

Vanyel, these are just some "random" ideas that I use to illustrate the idea of the special abilities.

You are right about the wolf special ability being abusable, therefore I think that there also should be a limit on the amount of summons a person can have (has been suggested before).

TheComet, yes this is also the no.1 feature on my wishlist :P and would make the range of special abilities even broader (think about having animals carry items <----yes, also been suggested before :P )