Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jakoblin

parental control

What we WOULD need though, is >18 limit on the Suggestions forum to avoid pure deconstructive and childish remarks :)

- Absolutely horrible suggestion if you ask me.

- stupid idea

- wtf is a parent control, something like in larry1? with answering adult questions lol

- Getting parental control is a stupid idea!!!!!!

- funny idea from a kid lol

- horrible idea (...) anyway stupid!

- Lmfao, this is too stupid, really the stupidest idea i ever read (...) lmao cant you read?

- jakoblin is obvious a kid himself aswel rofl, or just turned 18

I don't see the point of parental controls on a game like this. There are plenty of kids under the age of 18 who are mature and respectable players. On the other hand, there are some players over the age of 18 who, quite frankly, are not mature and respectable players. If there was a way to measure maturity levels accurately, then I would be much more willing to support the suggestion :medieval:

(chat log) append-only; don't think this is possible

It is possible -- use a logging proxy service/daemon, running as a protected user, which in turn writes to a file which is locked down to be read-only by everyone else. Requires the PC to be reasonably locked down wrt the kiddie users.

Not really worthwhile for EL though. But just thought I'd mention it :mace:

(chat log) append-only; don't think this is possible

It is possible -- use a logging proxy service/daemon, running as a protected user, which in turn writes to a file which is locked down to be read-only by everyone else. Requires the PC to be reasonably locked down wrt the kiddie users.

Not really worthwhile for EL though. But just thought I'd mention it :mace:

okay... possible when EL is installed by admin and run by non-admin accounts, requires a permenantly running(or at least available if there's a way to run it as admin when needed) process...

and locked down doesn't even consider that anyone with physical access to the computer is able to work around any software controls (encyrpted disks and one of the few measures that can't be easily overcome withhardware access)... you might say that few people are capable of this sort of thing... but it's not hard to download, burn, and run a linux live CD... and there are ways to write even to compressed NTFS

so... we're back to the original situation. there's only so much the technology can do. it's the people side left

on the other hand, the stuff like more info in chat_log.txt, like timestamps and split by user and all, has other advantages too; it's still worth having

I'm now even more thinking that Jognttlin and Jakoblin are the same players.. :o)

Could we lock this crap talk?

1 (or 2 what I can hardly believe in) player is trying to say us that we need parental control, cos the game is dirty, ebul, perv, etc.

Gee...

lmfao im so sure they r the same persons .

notice the grammer dots lol .

jajohntlin4un.png

lmfao im so sure they r the same persons .

notice the grammer dots lol .

jajohntlin4un.png

Lol nice one ;) . i was wondering who could agree to this.

and also that link is basically saying that the government is on their butt because the people bypass M rating when they are not old enough though their parents let them buy it and then the parents complain... so it really doesnt even relate to el...

I just don't get it. The Eternal Lands is more less the same for quite a long and there were no complaints about being not proper for childred. I just wonder where is this whole idea from? Other games might have something like this, but they are other games, not EL.

Question is if we really need something like this. In my honest opinion no. Everything that might violate and disturb children is not allowed in public channels or local chat. Sure there will always be some swearing, but then there should be parental control on real life as well. Sure on privat channels people can be rude or discuss topic not proper for chilidren, but there are millions channels and you cannot expect that all of them will be moderating or that such discussion will be ever forbidden. If this is not the official channels, national channels or channels below 100 - it's quite ok. Again, considering it as a reason for providing parental control would mean the real life should be under parental control again.

I would say, let's just close this topic and please, everybody, don't post here any more. Seems some players likes to throw some ideas just to provoke stupid and unnecessary discussion. This is wasting our time.

if this approves i going back to stupid RS. I only play games cuz it annoy's my mum XD. LOCK THIS TOPIC!!!

I would say, let's just close this topic and please, everybody, don't post here any more. Seems some players likes to throw some ideas just to provoke stupid and unnecessary discussion. This is wasting our time.

I see that someone is annoyed with the topic ... I must admit I also think this topic is a bit senseless, but ...

If people want to discuss something, let them do it, you don't have to have control over all EL forum, just because something annoys you. I simply don't read posts that make me feel like wasting my time.

I see that someone is annoyed with the topic ... I must admit I also think this topic is a bit senseless, but ...

If people want to discuss something, let them do it, you don't have to have control over all EL forum, just because something annoys you. I simply don't read posts that make me feel like wasting my time.

I can't really see a 'discussion' in this whole topic (apart from hypothetical theories how things *could* be done), it seems pretty clear this suggestion isn't getting any support at all. I'd say 2 pages of 'that's stupid' is enough to be honest.

I fail to see how suggesting to close it for that reason or asking people not to post anymore to stop senceless flaming could be called 'have control over all EL forum' too. Looking at the posts there's more people at least annoyed by the thought of this suggestion and I honestly doubt anything constructive can still be expected here. And it's no flames forum after all.

Ok, calm down. Gone _WAY_ offtopic now.

I think we can safely say this suggestion has a negative response from the community...