Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jakoblin

parental control

this game eternal land need parental control .

the game wow has one .

this way no more under 18 years old playing this game .

no it doesn't.

and even if it were a good idea, there's no good way to do it

Half the gamers, if not more, would be gone then...

Besides, people can lie about ages.

Absolutely horrible suggestion if you ask me.

Ummm, what good thing could this accomplish?

Half the gamers, if not more, would be gone then...

Besides, people can lie about ages.

Absolutely horrible suggestion if you ask me.

You still would be allowed to play though :medieval:

I agree, stupid idea - there is nothing in game that would require parental control.

wtf is a parent control, something like in larry1? with answering adult questions lol

wtf is a parent control, something like in larry1? with answering adult questions lol

Which is pointless since most kiddos can use google nowadays.

thats is wrong. i'm 12 yr olds why should under 18 not play anyway

Parental control is ultimately the responsibility of the parents.

Apart from restricting account registration to validated adults, and offering specific 'kiddy characters' (actually that could be interesting...), the only thing I can think of would be better use of the chat logs.

Split chat logs per character, record more login information (and the user account invoking ELC), record time stamps, and lock down the log file to be append only (system dependant). Administrators (parents) would then have access to the log to see what little johnny has been upto. Not a preventative measure, but a deterrent?

Of course this all requires a degree of computer literacy in the parent which is often lacking (less so in little johnny...)

Parental control is ultimately the responsibility of the parents.

true. but half of it is being aware, half is having the right tools. providing the tools is what the coders can do.

Apart from restricting account registration to validated adults, and offering specific 'kiddy characters' (actually that could be interesting...), the only thing I can think of would be better use of the chat logs.

Split chat logs per character, record more login information (and the user account invoking ELC), record time stamps, and lock down the log file to be append only (system dependant). Administrators (parents) would then have access to the log to see what little johnny has been upto. Not a preventative measure, but a deterrent?

split by char is easy (one of my patches makes this an option), recording login info... some of this could be done, but will it really help that much? time stamps; also in my patch, append-only; don't think this is possible

yea and im pretty sure we arnt trying to be like WoW

we dont want to be a replica

and anyway i know someone under 18 who plays wow so that parental control thing doesnt even work :P

Getting parental control is a stupid idea!!!!!! Ur just taking the fun away from ppl younger than you! the bulk of players are under 18. If you put parental control in, the game will have WAY less ppl and will be boring. So do not be selfish :P:angry::angry: :angry2: unbelievable someone could be so absent-minded! :angry2:

The idea of parental control is a suggestion for a solution. But what exactly is the problem that it is trying to solve? Maybe if we can clearly identify the problem, then another solution besides parental control can be thought of. (i.e What's the problem with under-18-year-olds playing the game, jakoblin?)

~Shouja~

While the OP didn't state it, parental controls would most likely be desired to deal with explicit graphics, story themes, or language. Well, the graphics are G or PG rated (there's fighting, but no blood/gore). There's nothing in the background story or in any of the books I've read (although I haven't read them all) that would seem to be a problem. That leaves language (chat).

Live chat is hard to monitor, but I believe the use of mods and the #abuse command provide reasonable monitor/reporting capabilities. The game does have the language filter, but it's not complete and easy to turn off (or bypass by the w-r-i-t-e-r). Other than having more mods available, I don't really see a need to do more in this area.

And (as pointed out) there is an aspect of perental responsibility here. Due to the nature of the game (the live chat aspect) I probably wouldn't allow my kids under 12 or 13 to play. Again, treat it like a PG-13 game/movie. Just because a child wants to play doesn't mean it's appropriate.

i find it horrible idea ... ALOT of people wouldn't be able to play because their parents won't even bother with parental control etc... anyway stupid!

Some Points:(some stated above)

(1): Parental control would ruin the game as most of the players in game would be kicked out

(2): as a result of this, older players who had many friends under 18 would quit, causing a chain effect with people who have no more friends and have trouble making them.

(3): The game would get boring generally and alot of others would leave out of boredome

(4):Whats the point of getting rid of the younger players ANYway?

(5): Do i really have to go on?

As one of the under 18 players of EL(I am 12) i would be |TOTALLY| against this movement and as would LOTS of others.

[edit]:Typo's

Edited by BellX1

Live chat is hard to monitor, but I believe the use of mods and the #abuse command provide reasonable monitor/reporting capabilities. The game does have the language filter, but it's not complete and easy to turn off (or bypass by the w-r-i-t-e-r). Other than having more mods available, I don't really see a need to do more in this area.

yea like runescape-their language filter has so many things typed into it that its hard not to say a normal sentence without it sounding like:

"hi *** my name is bob and ********* i went to the super****** to get some water*****." as you can see even language filters dont work so i would just leave the game as is.

besides are you trying to take away the best thing that ever happened to me?????? im 12 (going to be 13 this Dec. ;) ) and I want to play the game!

Edited by Promose

what is jakoblin problem with kids playing the game????

this game eternal land need parental control .

the game wow has one .

this way no more under 18 years old playing this game .

Lmfao

this is too stupid, really the stupidest idea i ever read

that parental control on WoW is for that parents can make a schedule for when their kids can play, so they have to finish their homework first in the hours their account is unaccessible.. or that they can only can play in the weekends and have to do homework rest of the week.. lmao cant you read? and like Alot of parents dont even know how to work on a comp.. and why would you tell your parents? WoW has no such thing you are suggesting.. its something different. what do you hate about ppl under 18? that they cant talk english or something? well first off, most can, and second, if this is true, learn some yourelf.. ;)

Mister_Q --> 16 + WoW player.

Edited by Mister_Q

So ppl under 18 are using bad language on channel?

i can't really see why under 18 should be banned cuz of that tho.........

very dirty language in channal that is not general chan or noob chan or market chan.

Man, explain me something, is this 'dirty language' allowed? Is it there all the time? And... why the hell you don't use #abuse?

Answers:

1. nope

2. nope

3. ....