Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aerowind

Linux help

When I try to start up EL in Ubuntu Linux I get the following error in my terminal error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

HELP ME?!?!?! I want to use Linux more and progress away from Windows, and getting EL to work on Linux is one of the first steps :(

libstc++ is the library of standard c++ (the language that Cal3d and wrapper are written in) stuff

use ubuntu's package manager to install (how you use said manager, I don't know)

Well, gotta burn some CD's so I'm on Windows right now, I'll try that most likely tomorrow (probably soonest I'll be getting again)

Well, gotta burn some CD's so I'm on Windows right now, I'll try that most likely tomorrow (probably soonest I'll be getting again)

201201[/snapback]

sudo apt-get install k3b

You have one of the best CD-Writing packages available, in Linux, and its open source :-) So no need to boot to windows ;-)

I had a CD I had to create from files on Windows Placid heh, but thanks for the advice :)

EDIT: Reen... YOU ROCK!!!!! Hell yeah man

Well you still rock... but solve these next problems, It booted and I got this in the terminal:

gorciakj@josh-cpu:~/Desktop/EL$ ./el.x86.linux.bin

I/O warning : failed to load external entity "languages/en/Encyclopedia/Skills.x ml"

I/O warning : failed to load external entity "languages/en/Encyclopedia/Skills.x ml"

also... when I try to type in my name I have to hit the keys like 10 times for it to appear once

Okay never about the failed to load thing fixed that myself :D don't I feel smart... now just the slowness factor (yes I've turned on poorman and the works) I think it's just the Linux OS can't handle EL with my slow processing speed, but Windows can for some reason...

Edited by Aerowind

Slowness - that's pretty much how it was for me when I was using video drivers without hardware acceleration. It look a long time to acknowledge a keypress or mouse click in addition to giving me 0-3 fps. Time to check what drivers you are using.

You *did* remember to install the Linux drivers for your video card? I know nvidia offers them on their website. There might also something to change in a config file, I remember doing it on gentoo, but never used ubuntu, and I can't quite remember which file to change.

Sounds like you don't have your drivers set up properly, therefore hardware acceleration is not working.

First of all, get the drivers from nvidia.com. After they are installed.. you need to make sure that your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file is correct. (I'm fairly sure that Ubuntu uses that file, if it's not there it's probably /etc/X11/xorg.conf)

Here is the most important part of the file: make SURE that you change the last device section. The one that says "My Video Card", not the one that says "Standard VGA" etc... I think the main problem people have is that they only change the first section. If all else fails just copy and paste it, the worst thing that will happen is that it won't work (I doubt it will blow your computer up, lol). If you need it I can send you my full xorg.conf aka XF86Config-4 (I think xorg.confs are pretty much compatible with XF86Configs)

# **********************************************************************
# Graphics device section
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of graphics device sections may be present

# Standard VGA Device:

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Standard VGA"
   VendorName  "Unknown"
   BoardName   "Unknown"

# The chipset line is optional in most cases.  It can be used to override
# the driver's chipset detection, and should not normally be specified.

#    Chipset    "generic"

# The Driver line must be present.  When using run-time loadable driver
# modules, this line instructs the server to load the specified driver
# module.  Even when not using loadable driver modules, this line
# indicates which driver should interpret the information in this section.

Driver     "nvidia"
# The BusID line is used to specify which of possibly multiple devices
# this section is intended for.  When this line isn't present, a device
# section can only match up with the primary video device.  For PCI
# devices a line like the following could be used.  This line should not
# normally be included unless there is more than one video device
# intalled.

#    BusID      "PCI:0:10:0"

#    VideoRam   256

#    Clocks     25.2 28.3

EndSection

# Device configured by xorgconfig:

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "My Video Card"
   Driver      "nvidia"
   VideoRam    131072
   Option "NvAGP" "0"
   # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection

Edited by Ciara

Err, before messing around with config files, do this to confirm your not getting direct rendering:

glxinfo | grep -i "direct rendering:" 

If it says no, you need to install the drivers and do the above.

Err, before messing around with config files, do this to confirm your not getting direct rendering:

glxinfo | grep -i "direct rendering:" 

If it says no, you need to install the drivers and do the above.

202673[/snapback]

Once again I have overlooked the obvious things, sorry :D

Edited by Ciara

i'd also like to add that after you apt-get k3b(to burn those *ahem*windows files*cough*) you can mount your windows partion:

first create a mountpoint(a subdirectory of some sort that will alow you to cd into that drive/partion)

su to root and then:

mkdir /mnt/windows

next you are going to tell ubuntu how to mount that drive and partition

if it is win95/98/or XP with fat32:

mount -t vfat -o rw /dev/hdxX /mnt/windows

where /dev/hdxX equals your windows partition. an example would be /dev/hda4 or /dev/hdb2(you can run qtparted to get some basic info about where your windows partion is located in /dev)

if it is winXP/win2k(pro/server) with ntfs file system:

mount -t ntfs -o ro /dev/hdxX /mnt/windows

if you have samba installed and you want to mount a shared drive on a windows system on your network:

mount -t smbfs -o rw //$username@$remote_machine/$share_name /mnt/$mountpoint

where $username= a valid windows user ID on the remote machine, $remote_machine is the ip address (or hostname, if you have it in your /etc/hosts file or if you have dhcpd and ddns configured properly), and $mountpoint is the directory you have created as a mountpoint for that filesystem.

when it makes the connection you will be asked for a password. you can also try:

mount -t smbfs -o username=$username,pass=$password //$remote_machine/$share_name /mnt/$mountpoint

now that you have all of your partions/filesystems mounted, you can fire up k3b and burn those *ahem* windows files *cough* to a cd ;)

BTW, if your using an NVidia card, do this:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx

That should install the necessary drivers needed for you to run EL smoothly

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this