Eternal Lands Official Forums
mihaim

Server crash due to lack of diskspace.

No update yet guys. Sorry. The servere ran out of diskspace while we ran a user conversion test in preparation for update and crashed. Should be ok now.

a friend lost exp and items during the crash, is it safe to be on while you guys try this again? or are you gonna try again?

195965[/snapback]

Its happen. You lost 30 minutes. It is nothing in whole time of playing EL. Is it hard to understand that It is nobody fault?

Well, if you don't want to lose ANY second of exp/items/etc. than you should never play EL, because due to the nature of the Intrnet, datacenters, QED laws and so on, there might always be unexpected crashes.

Yes, I would like my 4 summoning levels back please? Oh yes, 1 in both attack and defense, 2 overall. I also made 250 leather gloves, raised harvesting, raised manufacturing a couple. PYEwacket had donated some items to me for my contest. I was so happy I finally finished off my life essences with summoning... Oh right I had healed wanderingfool 20 or so times... Umm.. this was a big day for me. I bought a conjurer cloak, sold my mirror cloak... And more that I can't remember, but still. This sucks.

Guest Enyo
Yes, I would like my 4 summoning levels back please? Oh yes, 1 in both attack and defense, 2 overall. I also made 250 leather gloves, raised harvesting, raised manufacturing a couple. PYEwacket had donated some items to me for my contest. I was so happy I finally finished off my life essences with summoning... Oh right I had healed wanderingfool 20 or so times... Umm.. this was a big day for me. I bought a conjurer cloak, sold my mirror cloak... And more that I can't remember, but still. This sucks.

195979[/snapback]

STOP WHINING!!!!!!!

STOP WHINING!!!!!!!

195991[/snapback]

:P she's a mom and posted in an angry red color! RUN! run to the shelters! enyo is angry ;)

You didn't log off in six hours? Jeez, man, like, take a lunch break or something.

pfft....6 hours...thats nothing to what ive seen

Edited by sora_barzahd

I do. I don't exit the game though.

Oh, and what if we prove levelling up and #storage or whatever from chatlog? Would you be able to put them back?

Edited by MindFreak

People have lost worse from unexpected crashes - I remember one a few months ago when I was on, where I lost about a couple day's worth of leveling and items, and even a few items I was given to give to newbies - nothing I couldn't recover from, and since I have more than recovered.

What I lost was tame, some people had over a week's (and in a few cases, I think, a month's) worth of experience and items gone. I don't think anyone was given back anything lost. These crashes happen, and as such, we've been given a suggestion - quit EL once in awhile, and save your game. Ignore this at your own risk -you WILL lose your exp and items if there's a crash (which thankfully seldom happens).

Here's the good news, though: If you do lose experience and items, most of the time, you can earn it all back - when I lost 2 days work in that one crash, I'd had it all back within 6 hours (except the newbie items, which I never considered mine to begin with).

Autosave feature might make less people pissed. I quit some 3 times during my EL career all because of boots and crashes at my comp. I think my last session was on for 2 weeks and was going on. Would have been quite frustrated to see it all gone. Hard to make it light serverwise I would assume.

Autosave feature might make less people pissed. I quit some 3 times during my EL career all because of boots and crashes at my comp. I think my last session was on for 2 weeks and was going on. Would have been quite frustrated to see it all gone. Hard to make it light serverwise I would assume.

196019[/snapback]

Oki... first of all... I haven't seen the server code so I could be wrong :)

But it would probably be fairly easy for the server to be running a round-robin loop saving an online user every 5-15 seconds or something (could be based on load or something)

It would of course be possible to have two people loose or have the same item because of a crash if they are far apart timewise in the loop, but it would be alot better to be saved at least once every 2 hours... (15 secs @ 500 online users gives 125 minitues between saves.)

But it is something that needs to be implemented in the server, and will hopefully come one day... But its not high priority (only for those who forget to save :) )

And how would saving a user every 15 seconds help when there is a shortage of HDD space? Would it borrow hdd space or something?

196052[/snapback]

No it wouldn't help if the disk runs out of space, but it would minimise the rollback.

Of cource it would be a good idea to have the server detect low space and first mail/pm admins and then just before it's totally depleted (it could preallocate a bit more space just to be safe) exit nicelly (saving all info)

A side note is (as you have noticed :confused: ) that you shouldn't run tests on the production server :icon13:

195979[/snapback]

The word im looking for... hmm... oh yeah: CryBaby!

The developers are doing everything they can to keep the game up to date and to please all you guys, and whining is all that you can come up with as a reply? How mature.

A side note is (as you have noticed :confused: )  that you shouldn't run tests on the production server :icon13:

196067[/snapback]

Indeed, if this were a multi-million budget project there would be scores of Staging and development servers.

Guess what, its not :-)

df -h

:-P