Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kl4Uz

"Welcome to Mynadar"

Usually when you enter a small town, you don't even notice that at all, there is only a small text message informing you that you are welcome to that place and that's it. I think that's why many people use the NPCs names to describe a location "let's meet at Molgors", "The magic shop next to Raven" - I hardly ever hear people say "Let's meet in Grahms village" or "let's meet in Mynadar". The storages are important and therefor dominate the towns, the towns itself have only a roleplaying role (well I'm exaggerating a bit, but you get it).

I'm sure there are a lot of reasons for that and we could discuss this issue for hours. But I believe there is a simple way to make the players aware of the fact that they are just enter a stettlement. And we already have that - in form of a little text message like "Welcome to Lakeside Village". But well personally I hardly even notice messages like that.

What I was thinking of is something like this here:

http://eris.afterdarknet.at/screenies/HUDtown.jpg

The name of the settlement/town/city you just enter showing in the upper part of the screen for a few seconds. Additionally to the textmessage.

with regards,

kl4Uz

I do think there should be some indication of placenames when you arrive. Your suggestion would work to give a sense of being somewhere distinct.

For meeting places however, some towns are large, then you need to give a point or place within the towns to meet in. NPCs at least have their name above their heads, so are easy to find (if you dont know the town).

We could give taverns or inns (really, ideally). If these where better marked, such as with distinct signs (either written name or a obvious hanging sign) they would be easier to describe ("at the sign of the prancing pony").

Of course, a lot of the meetings involve trade or business, so storage is important. Though I do find some storage areas too crowded for my liking (Raven in Grams Village, and VOTD in particular).

Edited by trollson

How about if you're not in console when you change maps, you get that pretty little message as the change map message, but if you're in console (I've changed maps in console before) you would get the one-line text message? Just something random I thought of.

votd wont be as crowded when 1.0.2 comes out trust me :omg:

186402[/snapback]

no more liliacs eek

;)

But well that doesn't have much to do with the topic...

I think it's a good idea ;) It'll certainly invigorate map changes lol. Although when you're going from one boat to another, it might get a bit annoying if they don't disappear fast enough lol ^.^;

Edit: Nice font :omg: Blackadder ITC, right?

Edited by Kendai

i like the idea, i think it's nice,

however i also agree with kendai's statement about it not disappearing fast enough and you are changing maps.

-Kat

Definately. If the image (regarding what you did) faded out, it'd be great.

186707[/snapback]

Yes that was my idea. A static image would be annoying.

I hate always saying this but, is thing is in other MMORPGs ive played, it can be helpfull if it lists where you are. (Example if i wasn't clear: In WoW, say you enter a city, or an region. it tells you the name, then the subzone and who owns it.) Implemant it, its a good idea :):hehe:

I hate always saying this but, is thing is in other MMORPGs ive played, it can be helpfull if it lists where you are. (Example if i wasn't clear: In WoW, say you enter a city, or an region. it tells you the name, then the subzone and who owns it.) Implemant it, its a good idea  :blink:  :omg:

186712[/snapback]

Actually it might be handy to provide even more info, just like in your example. There are already a few towns and settlements that "belong" to a specific race and there will be new ones on the new continent. Maybe that could be mentioned too.

I like the idea! Excellent.

Someone mentioned signs as well, We could make some good signs for well known places. Such as "Moonshadow's Tavern" most players do not know it as that. They know it as "The tavern in votd" Lets make a nice sign above the door (large) with Moonies sign over it, then the words, "Moonshadows Tavern" It would be a one-of-a-kind building.

I like the idea! Excellent.

Someone mentioned signs as well, We could make some good signs for well known places. Such as "Moonshadow's Tavern" most players do not know it as that. They know it as "The tavern in votd" Lets make a nice sign above the door (large) with Moonies sign over it, then the words, "Moonshadows Tavern"  It would be a one-of-a-kind building.

192789[/snapback]

how about making a proper Pub sign for it?? i.e hanging sign:) with the perspective view it will be much easier to notice right? you could have it over the door i suppose :pinch:

votd wont be as crowded when 1.0.2 comes out trust me :pinch:

186402[/snapback]

actually...it probably will, its an easy place to get to after you die, just walk to the docks, DP, then VOTD, easy accessible storage, the most used PK Map in the game is 10 steps away

actually...it probably will, its an easy place to get to after you die, just walk to the docks, DP, then VOTD, easy accessible storage, the most used PK Map in the game is 10 steps away

192895[/snapback]

EXCUSE ME, when 1.0.2 comes out, say bye bye to ALL flowers at votd, hlaf the people there are hrvesting, just about to harvest or just have harvested flowers.

think about the people making fe, sellinf lilacs, assorted other tasks requiring flowers. ok you have a few people for pking purposes in kf, and those few who are restocking after dying, but thats not many people.

EXCUSE ME, when 1.0.2 comes out, say bye bye to ALL flowers at votd

193143[/snapback]

:icon13: err... no

EXCUSE ME, when 1.0.2 comes out, say bye bye to ALL flowers at votd, hlaf the people there are hrvesting, just about to harvest or just have harvested flowers.

think about the people making fe, sellinf lilacs, assorted other tasks requiring flowers. ok you have a few people for pking purposes in kf, and those few who are restocking after dying, but thats not many people.

193143[/snapback]

No, only the flowers at the graveyard are being removed. There are other flowers around on other places on the map. There is also the gold mine right nearby, everybody who mines gold uses molgor. There is a general store AND tavern just a few steps away as well, for purchasing potion and manu supplies. And you are totally underestimating the amount of people who pk in KF and use molgor...I don't see votd storage lessening in popularity significantly at all.

There are plenty of new metals available in VOTD, so I'm quite sure the place will remain popular.

But that's a bit off-topic...

There are plenty of new metals available in VOTD, so I'm quite sure the place will remain popular.

But that's a bit off-topic...

193245[/snapback]

It sounds like the point was "why bother?" then...(I was just clarifying why we would want to bother :P )

I think it is a very good idea, and not just in VotD either.

I would rather see various time and theme related ingame signs though, than just more type across my screen.