Eternal Lands Official Forums

Ok, can the developers make a NPC? Then nobody would profit from it, but provide a service to make harvesting better.

So how about a non-profit bot? If it could only sell the goods for the store price, and only buy from the store, and its original supply of axes and gloves was supplied by Roja or someone similar using server access - no money ever need change hands with the bot owner, and it would then be a 'helper' bot more than a trade bot..

Ok, can the developers make a NPC? Then nobody would profit from it, but provide a service to make harvesting better.

159505[/snapback]

You'd have to ask them, but I don't think they would. The idea of having pickaxes and gloves break was to make macroing difficult. An NPC in the mines would make it easier. Actually, so would a bot.

So how about a non-profit bot?  If it could only sell the goods for the store price, and only buy from the store, and its original supply of axes and gloves was supplied by Roja or someone similar using server access - no money ever need change hands with the bot owner, and it would then be a 'helper' bot more than a trade bot..

159553[/snapback]

I don't know. If there is a way to make a wandering merchant comply with the rules, I don't know about it. You'll have to ask these questions to Entropy/Roja.

That isn't anything to do with this topic as far as I can tell, and most people harvest for the items, not the 120*(insert item value per harvest here) they get, so it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to them.

Still, such a merchant would be a special case, unlike a 'normal' bot. This would more be like a feature.

If the merchant wanders from specific places to other specific places, only selling things s/he have in storage, then it would be up to the players to replenish the mrechant with goods. Maybe some developer will from time to time throw in something special, but for the most part s/he will have what players will sell.

Once in a while the Merchant will refesh the inventory by letting all goods drop into a bag and then wait for the bag to expire. Then he merchant will start the buying/selling process again.

So, if possible, it would be nice to see this merchant as a feature (as an NPC) instead of a bot.

why don't we kick out the harvesting skill, would make live pretty hard for autoharvesters, huh? <_<

159649[/snapback]

Nope. imagine if all you had to do was get five levels (for the nexus, assuming you still have that) then you can harvest titanium as well as someone currently on the top50 list... that would kinda mess with the economy a bit

Please keep the harvesting skill yes/no discussion in a separate thread.

About the other comments:

• Why not simply let some player do that? I'm pretty sure beginners would be happy about the quick money. This is a very convenient service, so yes, you'll (hopefully) have to pay quite a bit for it.
  • You probably won't get a bot allowed to do this, since its effective work simply is muling, it carries the tools from the place they're sold to the place you need them for you. What may get allowed is a stationary bot in CC that stores and buys/sells the tools that are brought there by players.
  • Making this an NPC would require quite some work, since NPC are not supposed to move. Furthermore, it would void the basic idea of the current system, namely that you have to take care what you take with you. That's why I am pretty sure this won't be made an NPC either.

With regards

Lachesis

not just beginners, either, there are players that rent themselves out as a mule or general service on market channel... granted, an hours work is not the same as fetching pickaxes, but the storage part is close for rent-a-mule

as for newbies, things like this could be suggested as 'jobs' they can do to make money, though i don't know where the jobs would be listed

Please keep the harvesting skill yes/no discussion in a separate thread.

About the other comments:

•  

• Why not simply let some player do that? I'm pretty sure beginners would be happy about the quick money. This is a very convenient service, so yes, you'll (hopefully) have to pay quite a bit for it.

• You probably won't get a bot allowed to do this, since its effective work simply is muling, it carries the tools from the place they're sold to the place you need them for you. What may get allowed is a stationary bot in CC that stores and buys/sells the tools that are brought there by players.

• Making this an NPC would require quite some work, since NPC are not supposed to move. Furthermore, it would void the basic idea of the current system, namely that you have to take care what you take with you. That's why I am pretty sure this won't be made an NPC either.

With regards

Lachesis

160521[/snapback]

I think you missed my idea (if it was me you were aiming at).

1. the 'merchant' would act like the Joker. ie appear in certain spots for a period of time (I suggest 10-20 min)

2. the merchant will only have what players have sold to him to begin with.

3. the merchant will buy all sorts of goods at a low price and have about a 100% (or more) markup.

4. when the inventory of the merchant is full, he will simply not buy before someone actually buys something from him.

5. the merchant shoud not accept certain items, like food and flowers

My thought was to make this a 'feature' that will spice up things a little. Only the merchant himself is supposed to profit from his trades.

Edited by Derin

I think Derin has made some brilliant ideas. The only real problems with this are:

-> Is it technically macroing? - Already discussed, but would it make things TOO easy?

-> Is it actually possible for an NPC to be that dynamic?

The merchant should:

* Start half full of low cost items that can bought from NPC's and can't be harvested.

* Start with a limited amount of gold, if he runs out he stops buying.

* Always sell for more then store price

* Always buy for MUCH less then store price (or he'll get full of TLong's)

* Have a limited carry/stock capacity

* Have MM

* Never appear on PK maps

* Not give any preference to any group or levels

* ?What about anti social?

Additional thought needs to be put in to prevent him from just getting filled up with junk and never emptied. Someone will fill him up with junk junk to mess up the system

* Needs to be able to track if something is selling, if not it wont buy

* Never buy an item that 'isn't selling well' and would fill up the last 2(?) inventory slots

* Start with some specific stacakable items flagged as being sellable

The merchant should:

* Start half full of low cost items that can bought from NPC's and can't be harvested.

* Start with a limited amount of gold, if he runs out he stops buying.

* Always sell for more then store price

* Always buy for MUCH less then store price (or he'll get full of TLong's)

* Have a limited carry/stock capacity

* Have MM

* Never appear on PK maps

* Not give any preference to any group or levels

* ?What about anti social?

Additional thought needs to be put in to prevent him from just getting filled up with junk and never emptied. Someone will fill him up with junk junk to mess up the system

* Needs to be able to track if something is selling, if not it wont buy

* Never buy an item that 'isn't selling well' and would fill up the last 2(?) inventory slots

* Start with some specific stacakable items flagged as being sellable

160779[/snapback]

As always, your wisdom is infinite Learner.

If merged with mine and other's suggestions i think we could have something nice here.

-> Is it technically macroing? - Already discussed, but would it make things TOO easy?

160772[/snapback]

would it be macroing if it was something implemented in the game, like part of the game programming?

;)

All great ideas, if he is random in apearance, then a macro would have to wait for him. If somebody is actually playing, then if the merchant is not there, then they can run to the store.

It sounds like a good idea.

If it's done make it like the Joker he pops up in diffrent caves and waits 4 a while or until a serten amount of ppl have traded with him b4 he moves on.