Eternal Lands Official Forums
Ghrae

Black Screen / Mix Windows

When I'm at Raven mixing things for Crafting or Potions, whatever... I find that it would be much easier if we could turn off the normal view screen and have a black background (like the F1 screen) but with the ability to see the normal inventory, mix windows (etc...) and the normal 6-8 lines of chat up on the top of the screen.

Can we do this?

I think this would kill socializing aspects of the game, as you no longer can see who's around you. If you don't see what's around but rather concentrate on working, it's imho a bad idea to sit in front of a storage to do this, because there will always a frequent coming and going of players.

Think about the other side, you come walking to raven to do some storage related actions, seeing 30-50 ppl sitting there and knowing nobody of them will recognice you. I think this can destroy a big part of the community.

Ok, I have quite different opinions here. For me there's also a 'seeing' part involved with socialicing and not only the talking part. That's why I personally don't like the idea.

<edit>typo</edit>

Edited by Malaclypse

Well, you wouldn't have to use the black screen. It would only be there for people who did want it.

For the rest of people, they could watch who was walking up to them.

And I think the coding for it would be fairly simple.

yeah that's no good for people who want to afk mix stuff and such. they might unfortunetly end up getting kicked by a mod if they are not responding to pm's or such.

I think we will disable all manufacturing, etc, at each storage however.

Well, a black background does not necessarily mean that messages are not displayed. I have a very poor machine and I would like that feature a lot, as every good place for manufacturing is crowded (ore veins as well as storages), causing a lot of lag and serious fps drop. A black background would help a lot reducing this. You may even keep rendering turned on but only render the names , health bars and mat. point labels (if turned on). That way you can combine advantages of current practice and the proposed feature without having to deal with any of the disadvantages. And this should be very easy to implement.

Btw, I would also like a switch to turn of local chat ;) It can be very annoying on crowded places when you are talking in a channel, sending pm or gm.

Sincerely yours

Lachesis

Yes, I like both ideas, the black screen and an on/off switch for local chat. Just like the f1 now, you still see messages.

I don't understand you Roja, can you explain what you mean?

Lachesis, good idea :huh:

Well, you wouldn't have to use the black screen.  It would only be there for people who did want it.

You're quite right here Kit. I completely forgot about this point :) Sorry for that.

@ Roja: You can't afk mix stuff, can you? Even items taking 10 or 15 seconds, you can only be gone 10-15 seconds, then you're just sitting there doing nothing, which isn't against the rules. Also, if you're kicked, you can log back on as soon as you realize it, right? So, no big loss? I do like the idea of no crafting at storages

@ Malaclypse: I sortof agree with you, in that you won't know who's walking up and not speaking. Since you'd still have the text at the top, you would still "hear" them if they say hi to you first. But generally, if I'm manuing, I don't want people talking to me. If they talk to me, I'll respond, and then I'm not gonna be manuing for awhile, because I'll just be talking. Vicious cycle. The option to use or not use the blank manuing screen would make it a good implementation though.