Eternal Lands Official Forums
jakoblin

windows 64 bit os program

I just brought a 64 bit computer and got a free 64 bit os program for it

:P:P:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

:D << this similes mean happy right ?

Ah good, so windows is finally catching up with the rest of the world.

But still in very early beta, maybe even alpha stages. Read a news last week, that they are not sure, whether they will bring out a 64bit version of their desktop release, but this week I read another news that they will do. Well, still some years later, than the rest of the world :)

Well, still some years later, than the rest of the world :D

Where can I get a 128-bit operating system then? :D:P

Well, still some years later, than the rest of the world :P

Where can I get a 128-bit operating system then? :D:P

Do you have a computer with 128-bit registers somewhere? :)

Do you have a computer with 128-bit registers somewhere? :P

Well, if Microsoft is a few years behind the rest of the world by offering a 64-bit os, then I'm sure I could get a 128-bit processor somewhere... <_<

I'm quite sure, you will get an 128bit machine, some time, togehter with your first 128bit OS :P

Just wait a few more years.

Just look at some of the major unix operating systems: sun has 64 bit version of solaris for some years, and Digital released a 64bit unix, also some years ago (when where they bought by compaq? 1996/7? They had this 64bit os, before). That's what I mean, when I say, ms is quite late with a 64bit OS.

The processor yes, but was there an 64bit OS immediately available? Not sure, I thought it took some time.

Yes there was.

Oh, and Alpha was not the first 64 bit processor. It was the first relatively cheap 64 bit processor.

CRAYs were 64 bits a long time before.

Regards

Chryzopraz

Edited by Chryzopraz

Do you have a computer with 128-bit registers somewhere? :P

Well, if Microsoft is a few years behind the rest of the world by offering a 64-bit os, then I'm sure I could get a 128-bit processor somewhere... <_<

I used a 64-bit dual-CPU machine around 1993-4. So in that way they are behind the rest of the world (so is Intel/AMD).

I don't think you're going to see 128-bit machines in the new feature, there is a limit on how big numbers you're going to need ;) Well, 128-bit busses perhaps, so that it can actually address all the RAM required by Longhorn :lol: but not 128-bit registers. In that case it would be just like the old 8-bit processors, that had a 16-bit address bus.

where we will have Quantum Computers. Those machines are wary rare (wery expensive to make at the moment) and they are basicly more like a single machines that can make certain math calculations now. But in the far furure we will be able to use them as a PC i think :o.

Olny a few of institutions do have one of them now (such as Nasa, Universitets etc.) Quantum Computers are in early stage of develpoment now, but when they will be ready, everything will change becouse even now they are bilions time faster than normal PC. I hope i will be able to touch or just take a closer look on one of them this year ;)

Do you have a computer with 128-bit registers somewhere? ;)

What is the size of SSE registers, Grum? 0:-)

With regards

Lachesis

Edited by Lachesis

where we will have Quantum Computers.

Ha. I have yet to see quantum computers described by someone who does not sound like he is drunk. It's like "ok, if we assume this, this, this and that, of which none have ever been proven or observed, we can mathematically prove that we can do some insanely fast computations with an accuracy that looks like guessing. Of course if just one of the assumptions is wrong, the whole thing is just fantasy.", and that's when they sound the least drunk :lol:

Leeloo thouse things actualy exists and they do work. So i think people who are doing research on them arent just assuming things. Shor algoritm seems to be working on thouse machines. There is only a matter of time when we will have qantum machine with more than 2000 qantum points. This will decrypt the RSA-129 code in notime :D

But you are right it sounds like a fantasy, and an average person cant even imagine how the hell that thing works.

Leeloo thouse things actualy exists and they do work. So i think people who are doing research on them arent just assuming things. Shor algoritm seems to be working on thouse machines. There is only a matter of time when we will have qantum machine with more than 2000 qantum points. This will decrypt the RSA-129 code in notime :D

But you are right it sounds like a fantasy, and an average person cant even imagine how the hell that thing works.

Have you actually seen one? Whenever there is news about one working, it's always something like calculation 1+1 with an uncertainty of +/-1.

And if they do exist outside of their fantasies, why do they sound like they are drunk when they try to explain it?

Do you have a computer with 128-bit registers somewhere? :D

What is the size of SSE registers, Grum? 0:-)

With regards

Lachesis

Ssshh :D

Leeloo thouse things actualy exists and they do work. So i think people who are doing research on them arent just assuming things. Shor algoritm seems to be working on thouse machines. There is only a matter of time when we will have qantum machine with more than 2000 qantum points. This will decrypt the RSA-129 code in notime :)

Have you actually seen one? Whenever there is news about one working, it's always something like calculation 1+1 with an uncertainty of +/-1.

And if they do exist outside of their fantasies, why do they sound like they are drunk when they try to explain it?

I believe there exist quantum cryptographic machines. Of course the range over which they can send their dat before it's lost is a couple of meters, but they exist.

And why they sound drunk when they try to explain stuff:

a) most of this research is done in Scandinavia :P

B) From experience I know that trying to explain quantum mechanics is very difficult

c) There's a lot of noise in this field. Many people, especially those that enter it from the side of computer science don't have a clue what they're talking about.

According to reports by IBM, and some rumor about AMD and intel, next generation integrated electronics will be based on nanoscale crossbar arrays. That is far far away from any quantum computer dreams, but near near to earth and to present. But of course there is still a reasonable possibility that even those technologies will never be implemented for other purposes than reseach. Anyway, this is completely off topic :D

With regards

Lachesis

Leeloo, this year we will have one of thoe "machines" in Poland at my University to make research on it, they bought it recently. And I know about some calculations that were way harder than your example :D

There's a lot of noise in this field. Many people, especially those that enter it from the side of computer science don't have a clue what they're talking about.

true you can't look at it like on a normal binary machine. It works way diferent from a bunch of binarygateways.

Edited by obionek

Leeloo, this year we will have one of thoe "machines" in Poland at my University to make research on it, they bought it recently. And I know about some calculations that were way harder than your example :D

What, they got to 1+2 now? :)