Eternal Lands Official Forums
The_Piper

Changes

Hi developers,

just one question:

Will there be any changes to that f****ed up system of harvesting, alchemy, manu or summoning or will we go on with it for the next centuries?

Since we lived with it for the last days/weeks, i still cant find any piece of fun in it. But, maybe, we can have a delay in fighting too, then youve successfully ruined the WHOLE system and not everything except fighting.

And, no, lowering the delay for harvesting diamonds from 5 seconds to 4 is not really a change.

Its still more fun to watch my cactus grow than do something in EL except fighting or walking.

And its not a good idea to move this post to flames section, because i, and maybe some other ppl, would like to have an answer.

Piper

Since the game doesnt belong to you, I think its only fair that the devs can do what they like with it. Pay for it on a monthly basis and perhaps, just perhaps, you might get listened to?

And harv was improved.. hear that.. IMPROVED, and you're still bitching about it? They could have left it how it was, but no they listened and acted accordingly, and 99% of the community was grateful for them doing so. Just read the sticky Thanks post above.

FFS, give the devs a break... I'd like to see the people complaining spend a day doing their job/school and coming home to work on EL.

Assume that the developers have about 4 hours per day to either read the Forums, or work on the game. Assume that, in the interests of keeping the players happy, they have to read every single post that talks about changes to the game. If the number of posts goes up, how much time will they have to work on the game?

But to answer your question, yes, it's all being worked on. Almost completely redone, in fact. It's going to take quite a while to balance and test it, of course, because changing 4 systems at once isn't exactly the easiest thing to do. The fighting system is being changed too. And there's no choice but to change everything at one go, because otherwise it would be imbalanced. So therefore, it will be a fairly long time before the systems are in place. And the more the developers have to read posts asking them to do something, the less time they have to actually DO the thing.

But anyway, Pinned until further notice.

-Lyn-

Since the game doesnt belong to you, I think its only fair that the devs can do what they like with it. Pay for it on a monthly basis and perhaps, just perhaps, you might get listened to?

And harv was improved.. hear that.. IMPROVED, and you're still bitching about it? They could have left it how it was, but no they listened and acted accordingly, and 99% of the community was grateful for them doing so. Just read the sticky Thanks post above.

FFS, give the devs a break... I'd like to see the people complaining spend a day doing their job/school and coming home to work on EL.

You got it all wrong gunslingers.

Piper is entitled to an opinion, and yes, the devs can do what they like with the game, this doesn't mean that people will *have* to like it.

Harvesting was a complete disaster when it was changed, now it has been improved, this does not mean that it is good or done. There are still some tweaking to do. I assume Piper thinks that 1 harvest attempt every 4 seconds on diamonds is still slow, things that you wouldn't know about gunslingers.

I strongly doubt that 99% of the community was grateful, you base that in a thread called 'thank you', with, how many posts? (24) hardly 99%.

I understand that you want to express your personal gratitude, but in the process try to accept that others might not agree with you.

I strongly doubt that 99% of the community was grateful, you base that in a thread called 'thank you', with, how many posts? (24) hardly 99%.

Besides, not even half of those post were infact thankful...

Actually, I based the percentage on the amount of people that complained After the update, not the Thankyou thread. I merely mentioned that as it seems a lot of people dont know how to say thanks anymore.

Plus, I never said that anyone is not entitled to an opinion, but "the new harv sucks" can only be put into so many different phrases before it all sounds like the same continuous drone.

It just seems a lot of people take this game for granted, and assume that because they play it, they always know whats right, whats wrong, and whats best for the game. On top of knowing it all, they forget who really puts the work in, forgets that its a totally free game, and that the people working on it spend a lot of their spare time trying to make the game better. This isnt just aimed at The Piper btw, its aimed at everyone who cant be happy with the game because they dont like change.

It just seems a lot of people take this game for granted, and assume that because they play it, they always know whats right, whats wrong, and whats best for the game. On top of knowing it all, they forget who really puts the work in, forgets that its a totally free game, and that the people working on it spend a lot of their spare time trying to make the game better. This isnt just aimed at The Piper btw, its aimed at everyone who cant be happy with the game because they dont like change.

Don't I know what is good and what is bad? Well, if the game is no more fun, I know it's not good, at least for me. That's why I stopped playing after posting several times in the forum. There are other things to do and games I enjoy playing.

What is a beta tester if he or she does not speak up when he/she sees that something is not working well in the game. The tones may be differ, but those who post may doing so from their love of game.

This part is addressed to Mr.(I suppose) gunslinger:

True, developers are working hard. But should knowing that fact shut player's mouth up? Wouldn't that line of thinking lead to danger of blindly accepting what is happening? For instance, if one think that because the soldiers are serving in certain foreign nation as a part of invading force, the citizens of the soldiers' country should not speak anything against the war, would that serve any good? I know I am speaking of extreme case, but we saw where that kind of thinking leads to.

Regards

Jojo

Sorry for my poor English. It's not my mother tongue.

Of course, everyone knows what is good and bad, but sometimes its hard to recognise the lines between what is good for yourself, and what is good for the game. The same can be said for what is bad for the game.

An example would be, harv going back to normal is good for you (the player) but bad for the game. Therefore you (the player) thinks its a good idea for harv to go back how it was.

The point I'm trying to make is not to shut up and let the devs get on with it, but to stop the complaining and instead make more constructive criticism if you dont like something. The game is in its beta stages, we are beta testers. If we want to get the most out of the game, we have to help the devs get there.. how is that achieved by 'leaving until it is changed back' or whining/bitching about it?

An example would be, harv going back to normal is good for you (the player) but bad for the game. Therefore you (the player) thinks its a good idea for harv to go back how it was.

then, of course, it can be good for the player(s) and thus good for the game. But such a concept totally fails you, I see.

the question is, is it good for just a small section of the players or good for most of the players. only people i see whine are the same ones over and over, to me thats not very representative of the majority...

allso, like i have posted so many times lately, i see a lot of people talking about fun or the lack of it but they never post what they think is fun. point is that what one person things is fun, another person thinks is boring. therefor when your asking for something to be made more fun, allso write what you think is fun so that the devs can get a clear picture of what you want.

there is allso the gamebalance aspect. this will lead to some old tricks becomeing broken or removed to try and help the economy and so on into a more stable state (as in no more rampant inflation and similar).

like gunslingers points out, it does not help to threaten with leaveing or telling people to reverse changes the same day as the changes comes out. give it a week or more and then come and tell the community what parts about the system that you think should be changed (and no, post like "it sucks" and so on dont count).

im getting tired of seeing all these threads that looks like they where written by spoiled kids that dont get their daily injection of "virtual power trip". if you want to feel like a god then go play a game like diablo 2 or a fps with hand-held nukes. eternal lands is about more then being a king-merchant or a god-warrior. its about a community, and right now the system allows for to many people to go solo and be a god of all things...

True, developers are working hard. But should knowing that fact shut player's mouth up? .

don't want you to shuttup, just make what you say meaningful and mature.

True, developers are working hard. But should knowing that fact shut player's mouth up? .

don't want you to shuttup, just make what you say meaningful and mature.

Which part of:

Harvest don't need to be changed because this is fighting skill that ruined the economy.

Is not meaningfull and immature?

All cookies such like "rare" books comes from fighting, all cookies such like goodie capes comes from

fighting, therefore all cookies such like best weapons and armors that are ruining the economy comes

from fighting. Fighting and manufacture that stands on fighting are the one skills that really matters in

this game, so why ruin harvest and all skills based on harvest? I've already shown a ridiculous nonse

which is in this game such like "leveling on cyclopses". This is what needs to be fixed but developers

prefer waste their time and energy for things that don't need to be fixed because they works fine.

It is Captain Obvious but the only people who can't see it are developers. And all critics is moved to

flames. I can't forgive you, Roja moving "If you want to Protest" to Flames, I really can't.

Regards.

Edited by Platyna

Why most you always attack, flame and put down the developers of this game...

anything they do you seem to hate and attack them for doing it... this is a

beta game, remember??.... and new things have to be tried and see what

works and dose not work for game play and balance .. for being a beta

game this one works very well and plays well. I have been making, developing

and writing games for over 27 years now and play over 7 mmorpg's now and

still like EL over all the best and keep coming back to play here the most.

It's all the skills you can built and level that i like the best here and hope to

see even more skills. I like EL being it is just not ALL about fighting like most

other games. For a beta game with no paid staff , the developers are doing a

great job... i know how much time it takes to write and code work for a game

like this and it's a lot of work. I am sure there will be a lot of people not liking the

new manu. when it is first started, but it will add a lot of fun to the game and

needed balance. Needing to have a efe for tit stuff now is a great step to balance

things out for the better of game play. From the changes i can see coming the

game will just keep getting better with all skills and fighting getting more balanced and

fun... and we had our record high number of players Sunday so look like not a lot

of people are quiting and new players are still finding the game and trying it out.. i was

shocked to see a high of 373 players on line Sunday.

@tigger

No question, the game will and must be changed and balanced permanently.

The problem with this update is not, that i and other ppl dont like it because it is an update.

It is only boring and kills the whole game fun.

As i mentioned my cactus already. It is more interesting to watch it grow than staring on the monitor and watch my character sitting in front of a wall. And that for minutes.

Same with manu, alchemy, potions and summoning. The delay is for me only wasted time where i can do nothing and must sit around and wait. and wait. and wait...

And we must live with it now for more than only a couple of days. So im bored for a longer time.

Harvesting => boring

Manufacture => boring

Alchemy => boring

Other ppl told me that summoning or potion making is now boring too.

THATS the only reason why ppl are complaining about the new update. And its still here.

Piper

No, harvesting is MUCH quicker.

Still, when it comes to harvesting: I takes me about 15 min to get 120 diamonds. 15 min where I can do nothing else in the game, not even move around my inventory.

Diamonds are supposed to be hard. You are swinging a pickaxe at either a coffin or a light fixture, trying to hammer out a small amount of something wedged in there for 10 years or more, judging from the cobwebs.

Diamonds are supposed to be hard. You are swinging a pickaxe at either a coffin or a light fixture, trying to hammer out a small amount of something wedged in there for 10 years or more, judging from the cobwebs.

I think you are confusing hard with slow.

I know it's hard, but does it also have to be slow?

The process as it stands kinda 'forces' me to read a magazine/make coffee/walk the dog or just about anything but staring blankly at the screen.

If it is easier, you can do it quicker. Akin to moving a couch. You can move pencils faster.

Hence, you harvest every other thing in the entire game faster than diamonds.

Edited by freeone3000

A lot of people were using some form of auto-harvest anyway, and you seriously can't say that just sitting there clicking in the same spot was very fun to begin with. I really can't think of how sitting there and mining or picking up stuff can be very entertaining, by its very nature. If you have any good suggestion on how to make it fun, we'll listen. Making it faster won't make it more fun, it will just mean that you get more.

yes, fighting have gotten to much of the fun stuff teh banned 0n3na, but haveing that 1 second harvest or manu didnt seem correct given what the person is doing. he isnt just grabbing the nearest item. he is looking for something that have the right growth to harvest and so on.

fighting as it stands now needs to become less selfsustained, thats for sure. but haveing rampant creation of items dont help either. i recall that before the drops (and the rewrite of the combat system so that stats became oddly effective) the main way to gain piles of gold was to make and sell item in a loop to trik. this ability still stands, only that he dont buy the best goods any more. remove weapon and armor drops and its the people makeing stuff that again is going to have the most gold buy selling a infinite amount of items to a npc.

this is why the changes where made.

and i hope we soon see a change in fighting drops to so that its made perfectly clear...

yes, fighting have gotten to much of the fun stuff teh banned 0n3na, but haveing that 1 second harvest or manu didnt seem correct given what the person is doing. he isnt just grabbing the nearest item. he is looking for something that have the right growth to harvest and so on.

And bears...they...spawn 1 sec after they die irl?

I mean come on... fighters DO get all the fun AND all "perks" (not as in perks you pay PP for)

Monster pop up from nowhere and you have to LOOK for, say a diamond to harvest when you can see over 30 visiable diamonds in the ws garg cave...

I think the new harvesting system is ok, but the teleportations should be removed completly. They are more than just annoying.