Eternal Lands Official Forums

This is very good news, it means that we fixed MOST of the problems with the client, and now we have a test, prior to the update, to determine if everything is OK.

If you want to help us test, you need to FOLLOW THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS PRECISELY. IF YOU SUFFER FROM SELECTIVE READING, DO NOT TRY TO 'HELP' US, OR YOU RISK GETTING BANNED FROM THE FORUMS.

Ok, now here is what you have to do:

Download it from http://el.beplacid.com/downloads/el_140_RC2.exe (new mirror provided by Placid). Let me know if you have any problems with it.

2. Extract it in a different folder than where you currently have EL installed.

3. If you don't follow step 2 properly, you will mess up your game, and lose the privileges of posting here.

4. Run the game from the new location.

Known problems (mostly solved already, we'll provide an updated exe tonight or tomorrow).

a. Lights sometimes flickering without moving the camera. This is know and will be solved soon.

b. Shadows at the edge of the camera are cut off. This is solved now.

c. Summoning special effects do not appear after a few summons. This is a known problem, but if you figure out how to reproduce it, let us know.

d. The auto update in this RC is disable, so it won't overwrite newer files with bad files.

e. Very important: This should be tested on the test server, some files such as some maps are incompatible with the main server, until the update. So if you report map bugs from the main server using this client, you are baned forever from our forums. To go on the test server, change the port to 2001.

The Linux and OSX versions:

I don't have time now, but if someone can download and make a zip copy of the files for the Linux/Mac people, that would be nice. Keep in mind that we changed the file format for the objects, so the client NEEDS to becompiled with the new e3d option.

If you find other problems, please post them here, and take screenshots if possible. Be as descriptive as possible.

for those who don't want to do another big download and use CVS... can I ask how much has changed in the data files since RC1?

Edited by ttlanhil

Just some maps and a few objects. Not significant enough to cause crashes or anything, so you can still use the old data for debugging, although it would be better if people downloaded the whole thing.

The installer overwrites the el.ini w/o comment, so make a backup first or install to a new dir.

The installer doesn't overwrite anything if you follow the instructions.

I downloaded the program and extracted it to a new folder without difficulty. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get it to work on my system. I have an AMD Athlon based IBM PC running Windows Me.

Starting EL.exe simply produced an alert box stating "El has caused an error in Kernel32.DLL"

When this alert box was closed another alert box stated "El has caused an error in WRAP_OAL.DLL"

Restarting the computer and trying again produced the same error messages.

That's strange.. try to disable the sound in el.ini

Anyway, you really should update your OS, Win ME is alomost 10 years old now, and unsupported by MS. And it was never a very stable OS.

for those who don't want to do another big download and use CVS... can I ask how much has changed in the data files since RC1?

Please keep in mind that to help us out you should download it, because you cannot test map bugs or any of the possible content bugs without it.

Please keep in mind that to help us out you should download it, because you cannot test map bugs or any of the possible content bugs without it.
yup, will do.

I'll then post with some links for others to download.

my query was more in line with if anything had changed... if it was only the code, or if there were only cosmetic changes (eg touch-ups of textures, etc) then not updating the data wouldn't have made any difference

Edited by ttlanhil

That's strange.. try to disable the sound in el.ini

I tried to disable sound in el.ini by setting #no_sound = 1.

It still produces the same errors noted above. :)

okay, I have archives for those who use CVS...

first up, all of the data, available here: http://users.on.net/~gingerman/elc_140_rc2_data_only.tar.bz2

and secondly, only the changes since RC1 (note: install over RC1. if you're not sure how to do that, you shouldn't be using an RC): http://users.on.net/~gingerman/elc_140_rc2..._vs_rc1.tar.bz2

same caveats as before... if in doubt or you have problems, it may be worth getting ent's installer (wine can run it on linux, that's how I got the files out)

enjoy :)

ed: oops, uploaded the full archive with *.exe and *.dll still in there... currently re-uploading. done!

Edited by ttlanhil

Lothalith Fortress, 151, 51. Door to hospital is only functional from one side, to get out I have to rotate the view to see the back of the door and click it...

Sitting and mixing in iotf, I have my inv, bag, and mix windows open. When I hit F1, the 3 open windows stay on top so I cannot see the previous chat. Is this a feature or a bug? If it's a feature, I'd vote to remove it :)

How about the previous RC? Does it do the same?

Yes. I downloaded the previous RC and installed it into a 3rd folder. Same error messages.

Sitting and mixing in iotf, I have my inv, bag, and mix windows open. When I hit F1, the 3 open windows stay on top so I cannot see the previous chat. Is this a feature or a bug? If it's a feature, I'd vote to remove it :P

Go to Options -> Misc and turn off "Windows on top" option. I love that option by the way :)

Also, any chance of allowing the analog clock to be replaced with the digital clock in the HUD? Enabling the digital clock won't allow the statbars because of the new engineering skill (apparently not enough room), so it's either statbars *or* digital clock as it is now.

Yes. I downloaded the previous RC and installed it into a 3rd folder. Same error messages.

You REALLY should upgrade to either WinXP or Linux..

Sitting and mixing in iotf, I have my inv, bag, and mix windows open. When I hit F1, the 3 open windows stay on top so I cannot see the previous chat. Is this a feature or a bug? If it's a feature, I'd vote to remove it :)

Go to Options -> Misc and turn off "Windows on top" option. I love that option by the way :P

Doh! Thanks Erma...completely missed that option :)

I extracted the RC2 data using wine and made a fresh CVS client.

And crash:

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread -1225311952 (LWP 8688)]
0xb732dc23 in _nv000048gl () from /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1
(gdb) bt
#0  0xb732dc23 in _nv000048gl () from /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1
#1  0xb67e8758 in ?? ()
#2  0x0000017f in ?? ()
#3  0x00000010 in ?? ()
#4  0xb68a12fc in ?? ()
#5  0x0000000c in ?? ()
#6  0xb7432c94 in _nv000048gl () from /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1
#7  0xb67e8758 in ?? ()
#8  0x00000000 in ?? ()
(gdb)				   

It looks like the NVIDIA driver crashes, called by libGLcore.so

The crash in irinveron at daytime is gone.

Now, when i go from WS to NC, when i leave NC storage, but *NOT* when i enter NC from votd, the PK cave, the southern cave, the tavern, the client crashes.

Further, entering Glacomor from irinveron (both entrances) crashes, leaving the glacomor cave with the ores, entering glacomor from Aeth Aelfan, leaving the skills academy.

Entering Glacomor from Trassian is fine, no crash.

Leaving Glacomor to Iscalrith crashes too while going back from Iscalrith to Glacomor is fine.

Ill edit this post, when i find more crashes.

Piper

The_Piper:

Every crash conserning OpenGL would be Nvidia and your GPU... But it's more likely to be a code crash/bug than a bug in the actual GPU technique that nvidia supplies/invented.

I use Nvidia drivers too and Geforce 8800GTS, so there's no way there could be a bug in that version too.

But ATI and Nvidia is known to handle shadows differently so I guess there could be a problem on only 1 system, but the problem is rather with a conflict than a bug in nvidia drivers. So basicly your debug info says it's a crash caused by the 3d "engine", OpenGL, which could be anything.

But if someone has ATI Radeon... then please go on RC and go try and reproduce this.

Edited by Beaverhunter

Every crash conserning OpenGL would be Nvidia and your GPU... But it's more likely to be a code crash/bug than a bug in the actual GPU technique that nvidia supplies/invented.

I use Nvidia drivers too and Geforce 8800GTS, so there's no way there could be a bug in that version too.

I appreciate that you want to help, but please, understand it before you try to help debug it.

the problem may be in the nVidia cards, or it may be in the drivers... it's possible that no program has ever used the cal3d library in a certain way to cause this before, otherwise I would have expected it to only affect a small range of cards and drivers (I've had a crash that either is the same, or at least has the same symptoms, and there's a fair difference in library version. the card is a similar make, however, and may be suspect, which I shall look into)

Edited by ttlanhil

But ATI and Nvidia is known to handle shadows differently so I guess there could be a problem on only 1 system, but the problem is rather with a conflict than a bug in nvidia drivers. So basicly your debug info says it's a crash caused by the 3d "engine", OpenGL, which could be anything.

Concerning shadows, you will laugh now, but those crashes happened all when shadow mapping was disabled. with shadow mapping on, i dont crash (im checking all places where i crashed right now).

While the crashes earlier in irinveron only happened with shadow mapping enabled at daytime.

Piper