Sign in to follow this  
handyman

Relaunch/Kickstart PK server

As we all know PK server is very quiet

Many of those who did play have left because of this

I believe if it got busier then some might come back

Sygon’s event on main server went really well last night

Allot showed interest in the Event

But Sygon found out that some that took part didn’t even know about the PK server

Radu i know the Idea is to pay $5 for a char on this server which is fine

But what are the chances of holding a series of events on the main server and giving away Say Between 50 – 100 PK chars as prizes

To help boost this server and get loads of advertising on main letting everyone know about it

(winners can only be people that don’t already have PK chars on their IP address)

Those that do win chars will soon want to buy more alts

And this just might give PK server the boost it needs

All I’m trying to do is find ways to make this work

Handy

I like the idea handy :D, i wish i could donate money to assist in this process of events, but i really cant, im about 2000$ in debt rofl

As you mentioned some people do not even know of the PK server. Besides when it was first started there has been virtually no advertising for it. Is there even any mention of it on the EL site? basically the only way to know of the PK server is read the forums. Which some players never do, and most newbies don't discover them for awhile.

I don't think a contest giving away all those characters would do much good, how many of those people would actually stay and play? I think the first step towards a more active pk server would be making people aware

Edited by Enly

Newbies don't belong there, we wouldn't advertise to them. Experienced players know about the forums, and would know about the pk server. The idea is you should have experience playing the main server before going to the pk.

Perhaps newbies aren't meant to be on the pk server. However some people are attracted to pk based games, where everywhere they go is pk. Its possible that the pk server could attract players that otherwise would not play EL, yet they would not be able to find out about the pk server without playing the game or digging into the forums

I don't think the sever should contain only the most experienced players, some newbies would be ok too. By the time someone is "experienced" and knows about pk server, they will have been playing the game for a month or so. Then, they will not want to start all over again from scratch. There have been a few "newbies" on the server who did not play for more than a few days on the main, and they got by just fine here. I think if it was advertised that there was a p2p server that is more challenging to start at, but easier to play on, with many maps player-player combat, this would interest some people right from the beginning.

The pk server will die soon if it is not advertised, since hardly anyone new joins these days.

Edited by Atlantis

Newbies don't belong there, we wouldn't advertise to them. Experienced players know about the forums, and would know about the pk server. The idea is you should have experience playing the main server before going to the pk.

Although this is true a player is a player. And were else they going to learn?

Relying on the forums doesn't quite work either since the pk server thread doesn't really get read by a lot of non-pk server players (note the far lower number of reads and then compare to number of comments made by the same people).

I was very surprised how few people knew about the event I held yesterday despite the fact that it had been on the calendar for a week. Even Radu, who reads everything, didn't know about it. Once he realized it, he made a little announcement and linked the thread. At that point, the number of people who read about the event doubled. I accredit part of the success of the event to that announcement.

My theory is that when people see "pk server" in the thread line, they don't read it because they assume it doesn't concern them, and they are right. Most of what we talk about doesn't concern them. What do they care about summoning stones and pickpoint buying?

I think advertising on the main server in conjunction with a web page that explains what the PK server is all about and what the differences are will help attract those who haven't joined just because they lack information and aren't really sure who to ask.

Could we get a page on the EL website that does this? At the bottom there could be a paypal link and directions for creating a new character. I don't mind writing it up.

Our target audience are those who have been playing for a couple months, were too new at the character wipe to care what was going on, but are now experienced enough to be successful on this server.

Our target audience are those who have been playing for a couple months, were too new at the character wipe to care what was going on, but are now experienced enough to be successful on this server.
I was gonna post something like this before, but I couldn't come up with right way to say it. I agree with this 100%, we need to get the people who are experienced enough not to ask a ton of questions or beg for stuff, but new enough that they won't be devastated starting over.

Yes we need something on the main website for it, that's for sure. I'll try to get a page up for that today.

Even Radu, who reads everything, didn't know about it.

haha, um, no. He does not read everything :P

Edit: Ok I put up a small FAQ page. If you guys think some other things can go there let me know.

Thanks Roja, a great start to brining some life and activity to PK server. :P

Edited by Atlantis

As far as I understood you have to create the shortcut icon for the pk server yourself. How about distributing it with the client? Some players might see it and think "oh wait, there's a special pk server too!".

Yeah... the idea of running an application with parameters may seem very simple to some of us, but as an active computer technician dealing with the average user often, i can tell you, for some people it's not an easy task.

Either a server selection menu when the client starts or as kl4Uz said; 2 Start Menu and Desktop icons when u install the client; 1 for the main server, 1 for the PK server...

...would be good.

Yeah... the idea of running an application with parameters may seem very simple to some of us, but as an active computer technician dealing with the average user often, i can tell you, for some people it's not an easy task.

Either a server selection menu when the client starts or as kl4Uz said; 2 Start Menu and Desktop icons when u install the client; 1 for the main server, 1 for the PK server...

...would be good.

I don't see how that would help? Maybe it will make people notice the Server, but when they try to connect to it to see what its like, they will see you have to pay, and they will just go back to main, where they have a level'd character, and didn't have to pay. :D I don't think anything can be done for the PK server, to make it get more people, I think it's just a matter of time, and see how that affects it.

...would be good.

I don't see how that would help? Maybe it will make people notice the Server, but when they try to connect to it to see what its like, they will see you have to pay, and they will just go back to main, where they have a level'd character, and didn't have to pay. :D I don't think anything can be done for the PK server, to make it get more people, I think it's just a matter of time, and see how that affects it.

Maybe it could make some of the old players go there.

I think I know how to do but I'm not sure, so why pay for an account there to find out I were messing everything up and never use it ?

I have asked friends who are more used to computers than I am, they have no clue how to do.

Because they don't play the game and don't know where to find what they need to change - like they don't know where to find chatlogs and maps.

Things we are used to, because we have asked other players.

It's not so hard to do. :)

1. Right click on EL icon (On Your Desktop) then click 'Create Shortcut'

2. Rename the Shortcut that was created to 'PK Server'

3. Right click on the PK Server Icon.

4. Click on Properties

5. Look at where it says 'Target = "C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\el.exe"

6. Once you find that, put a space after the last " then put pk

7. Click Ok, and Ok again.

8. And it's done.

:D

edit - lol, didn't know if anyone wanted to know that :brooding: oh well.. :D lol

edit - If people are still confused on how to do it, I could make a picture/walkthrough how to do it. :D

Edited by Superman

Adding a shortcut or a menu in the client cant possibly hurt, it can only possibly help... so why would u (seemingly) argue to not have it implemented?

Adding a shortcut or a menu in the client cant possibly hurt, it can only possibly help... so why would u (seemingly) argue to not have it implemented?

I wasn't saying I don't want it there. :brooding: I was saying I don't think it would make a whole lot of difference.. But, I like the idea of having 1 Client, which we can use to connect to every Server, PK/Test/Main, without having to create another 2 or 3 shortcuts. :D

What I'm saying is, I think I'm not the only who don't know to do.

To post here now, will not help if I - or another player - need it in a month.

I know it's already posted, but forgot where.

It would be better if it was easy to find where it's posted or just a button when we log on.

(could say - you need to have payed for a char to play this server or have a link to the EL shop/paypal)

What I'm saying is, I think I'm not the only who don't know to do.

To post here now, will not help if I - or another player - need it in a month.

I know it's already posted, but forgot where.

It would be better if it was easy to find where it's posted or just a button when we log on.

(could say - you need to have payed for a char to play this server or have a link to the EL shop/paypal)

i guess asking Roja to Pin a Thread with how to access PK server would help.

Why don't we borrow the shareware principle?

Let people go on PK server free for a week, and if they like it, they need to pay the $5 to continue playing when the week expires. If they don't pay and try to play after a week, they will get one of Radu's 'don't f***k with the server' messages and then get booted! :D

A different registration method would perhaps help. It is a little back-alley style right now; pay $5 to the shop, then give the name and if all goes well, you can create character with that name. I find this a strange and unsecure method of character creation. A lot better would be to just put a form on the PK server link on the EL homepage where you can give the name AND PASSWORD, which then results in a link to paypal.

Edited by sithicus

Level couple of characters to max and sell in Ebay. The buyers will tell all their friends to come look how pro they are. So we will instantly get lots of players.

Level couple of characters to max and sell in Ebay. The buyers will tell all their friends to come look how pro they are. So we will instantly get lots of players.

O YA! :bow_arrow: (Every now and then I check eBay for EL chars and I see none :P )