Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
korrode

Description of Scotty Died/#beam me

(Quote's from this thread: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...howtopic=32863)

After all, #beam me up was put in the game originally to rescue people from map bugs. People taking the Scotty Died Perk are basically saying they aren't concenred with map bugs.

I was considering this perk and i didn't know that taking Scotty Died was saying i'm not concerned with map bugs until i read this. I also assumed moderator's would get you out of map bugs. It was a contributing factor to my decision to not take Scotty Died.

If the perk was made to reduce the amount of times the mods had to rescue people because then I think a warning in game would be a good idea.

I agree with Tirun, hence my suggestion:

Either adjusting the description of "#beam me" under the "Text Commands" section of the in-game EL Help to include the commands actual purpose, not just it's effect... or a note in the "Scotty Died" description under "Perks" in the Encyclopedia... or both :(

Edited by Korrode

I don't follow.

#beam me up was originally put in the game because there were map bugs. It however remained in the game as a convenient tool used for MANY purposes, including map bugs.

It's function is to take the player to the campfire on Isla Prima for whatever reason a player chooses to go there. The reason does not matter. It has become a landmark of this game, and it is not going to be removed.

The perk is because the majority of the players, if not all, use the #beam me up command on a regular basis for any number of reasons (going to wraith, chatting with friends at the campfire, helping newbies, healing players returning from the underworld, getting stuck in tricky map situations, etc). It is a negative perk, the cost being the loss of this convenience in exchange for some pp's. You are supposed to be inconvenienced.

Why does any description need to be changed? It states exactly what the command does.

#beam me up from ingame encyc:

Teleports your character to the campfire on Isla Prima. Doesn't work while you are fighting or if you are on a PK map.

Scotty Died perk from ingame encyc:

Cost -3 points, 10000 gold.

No more beaming up.

Tell me where these are incorrect.

I

#beam me up from ingame encyc:

Teleports your character to the campfire on Isla Prima. Doesn't work while you are fighting or if you are on a PK map.

No more beaming up.

Tell me where these are incorrect.

I have taken the scotty died perk and find no problems with it ( i knew before i took it that i would have to carry IP rings) but i think what ppl are suggesting Aislinn is that the description is changed to clarify things

No more beaming up.

(Mods will not help you should you become stuck for any reason. BE WARNED this might involve having to #suicide and losing items.... THIS NEG PERK IS TAKEN AT YOUR OWN RISK)

Then there can be no arguements and everyone is clear on the possible pitfalls before the perk is taken

Personally it would be nice for the perk description to clarify matters, for map bags are unwanted and unplanned but they do happen, so warning ppl of the possible downfalls of taking this perk would help 100%.

Edited by conavar

Aislinn, doing this definitely wont hurt anyone, it could only possibly help and prevent confusion and argurments in the future. Why not change the description? It will take someone 5 minutes tops...

Aislinn, doing this definitely wont hurt anyone, it could only possibly help and prevent confusion and argurments in the future. Why not change the description? It will take someone 5 minutes tops...

Partially because even players that can beam are getting stuck and expecting mods to move them back to their harvestable area instead of using the command & methods already available. I would not be surprised if the 'no mod assistance' ends up being extended later to all players, not just those with Scotty Died!

Partially because even players that can beam are getting stuck and expecting mods to move them back to their harvestable area instead of using the command & methods already available. I would not be surprised if the 'no mod assistance' ends up being extended later to all players, not just those with Scotty Died!

But this isnt about players who can still beam but dont and expect the mods to help them.This about clarifiying the perk description so players know what they are letting themselves in for.. Is that wrong to ask ?

Changing the description should help in the long wrong and cut down on the bitching and argueing.

Players who can beam and dont and just expect the mods to help them has no bearing what so ever on the perk description.

Even if a description change only stops 2 ppl a week pming the mods for help surely its worth it ?

Edited by conavar

#beam me is used by lots of players as a way to faster go between places or save some money from C2 to C1... its a negative perk since you cant use it anymore... reducing your options to TP room or using a ring... and for this reason its a negative perk

a map bug is a bug... something that shouldnt exist, this way i dont see why a player should be wronged for something that shouldnt exist.

I got stucked after got the scotty died... Aislinn helped me. It worked the way i think it should work.

No need to change the encyc in my opinion

And the reason that the comand was first created are no longer the use it have. Things change, EL changed a lot tnx for the programmers... the rules and the community are changing along it... the meaning of the #beam me had definelly changed.

I got stucked after got the scotty died... Aislinn helped me. It worked the way i think it should work.

Yes but you do realise that the next time you get stuck no moderator will rescue you? Aislinn coming to your aid was a 1 time thing. If you dont have rings/ess/friends who can help then your only way out is #suicide from now on.

Edited by Korrode

I personally know of two players that have taken the perk and were not aware of it eliminating mod assistance for map bugs. Nothing in the description (or other documentation available in game) indicates that taking the perk would result in this type of problem. This seems rather underhanded to me.

Yes but you do realise that the next time you get stuck no moderator will rescue you? Aislinn coming to your aid was a 1 time thing. If you dont have rings/ess/friends who can help then your only way out is #suicide from now on.

IMHO, this is plain wrong. I see it as changing the rules after the fact.

Why type sucide why not reset if you get stuck without rings and have scotty died perk you wouldnt loose your charactor and would be able to keep your levels just your oa and your perks are gone.Then you can beam me.

#suicide is just a usual death and you go to hell, #killme yes is the command that you lose the character.

so, no point in your comment

#suicide is a lot less serous than #reset :blink: and if you suicide than you can pick up rings at sto, go back where you where, get your DB and beam out, #reset is extremely painful just to beam out, I think you are confusing #suicide with #Kill_me yes, which is NOT suggested if you get stuck.

--Duck2

#suicide is a lot less serous than #reset :) and if you suicide than you can pick up rings at sto, go back where you where, get your DB and beam out, #reset is extremely painful just to beam out, I think you are confusing #suicide with #Kill_me yes, which is NOT suggested if you get stuck.

--Duck2

Why would you #reset to beam out oO