Eternal Lands Official Forums
Roja

Skybox discussion

Just getting picky some more, I hope you're not sick of me ;)

I was looking at some photos of the sky at different times of day and was wondering if you can adjust the gradient sky colors some more?

Here's a photo just before the sun rises:

http://flickr.com/photos/webinteger/219833057/

We're missing that light blue color, inbetween the yellow/orange and blue. Can that be added?

Here are a couple sunrise timelapse videos I found on youtube(you can search for more if you'd like). The sky is actually very bright before the sun comes over the horizon:

Here's also a nice sunset:

Is it possible to make the clouds reflect that pink color?

Solved my issues with the sky at night (i had NEW_ALPHA enabled).

@Roja: Carmen Manor dungeon has sky with clouds, i guess it is map related.

I looked into that, and it is because dungeon mode isn't active for carmien manor (deals with the map file).

This brings another problem to mind if the skybox searches for dungeon mode to give it a sky. Isle of the Forgotten is in dungeon mode due to the blending object visibility and the snow. Is there a way to give it a perm. night sky some how?

By default, all interiors don't have any sky. I haven't tested IotF yet though...

I've committed some changes and now all the colors can be configured with an XML file called 'skybox.xml'. This file is on the CVS too and it has to be copied to the root of the data dir. The colors actually defined in the file are not good, I've just put some fast values to test...

If more parameters are needed in the XML file, just tell me and I'll add them.

EDIT: forgot to say that if you compile with the DEBUG flag, the ctrl+alt+shift+s shortcut reloads the XML file without leaving the game.

Edited by Schmurk

IotF is probably going to need a seperate parameter.. because it's technically considered an inside map in the file.

IotF is probably going to need a seperate parameter.. because it's technically considered an inside map in the file.

Ok. Actually the file is used for only 1 sky type but we can change that in order to have several sky types and then bind them to maps.

The water tile extension works well, but what about land?

I don't want the land extended. I will modify the maps so the water won't extend in those places.

I'm curious; I don't see how this will solve the issue shown in the screenshot; the water isn't being extended where land tiles edge the map.

Extending land tiles wouldn't give a satisfactory result. Unlike a uniform water area, featureless land would look artificial, and the boundary between extended tile types would be unnatural straight lines.

The only way I can think of [1] is to 'steal' the edge of adjacent maps, assuming they are registered correctly onto the global map. This would look good, but involves a lot of changes.

[1] Well, there are other ways, but probably not for this project...

Can you make the lower hemisphere of the skysphere/box black?

I've been wandering around with the new camera in Idaloran, with low camera angles to give a near first person perspective. The sky turns red at the horizon, and this red leaks through "cracks" in the ground, it is rather obvious.

gallery_7423_28_35037.jpg

In this image you can see the "undersky" leaking out of the cracks either side of my character. It was far more pronounced earlier with a brighter red sky, and from other angles during my walk (particularly, the entrance to the mines).

Trollson, get the new skybox defs in the cvs.

And those cracks won't be fixed until we have real 3d terrain.

Okay, thanks! I was missing the 'skybox' and 'shaders' directories (new since initial checkout - must do 'cvs up -d').

I wasn't proposing fixing the cracks in the geography, just if the "undersky" could be kept black they may not be noticeable.

Edit: Except that would bugger up places were the horizon dips into the lower hemisphere, such as where you might have a valley or gorge.

Edited by trollson

I''ve been testing the latest cvs for a while, here are some issues:

- extended camera: ext camera and free camera have been merged. I find this a little weird to use because when you have to move the camera fast (pking, hunting...) you often end up moving it too much, it goes to the ground and, since it cant go under, it slides towards the char full zooming on it...can be quite annoying. Can we revert to an optional free camera and have a 90 degress lock otherwise?

- right click camera moving: i understand the need of this option, but can it be optional too? right click is also used to change the cursor, and again it is annoying to have the camera turning when you try to attack something. Also it seems you turn yourself while rotating the camera this way...no need for alt+g grab mode shortcut then?

- free camera: why it slides when hitting the ground? shouldnt it simply stop?

- floating xp: it seems that floating xp is now fully 3d...feature or bug? it looks a bit weird to have a xp messages lookable from different angles

keep on the awesome job!

EDIT:

ehm...just checked the cvs, and the auto zoom isnt there anymore :)

Edited by Fedora

About the free_cam/ext_cam, I've added an option to enable/disable the autozoom. I did the autozoom in order it lets you see the sky even if your zoom level is too high.

It's working like that in many other games and I also prefer to have a completely free camera that let you see where you want in a single movement. But now people can freely choose the behavior with the option.

BTW, about the whole camera code, is the grab mode really useful? And without the new cursors, it's quite useless or it would need some changes...

Some time ago Florian also suggested to me an option for the follow mode that fixes the camera behind the char a little like in all 3rd person view games. I think it's a good idea and we could also allow the 3 mouse button rotation in this mode but it would need to bring the camera to the char's back as soon as the mouse button is released. Would it be interested to implement such a feature?

About the free_cam/ext_cam, I've added an option to enable/disable the autozoom. I did the autozoom in order it lets you see the sky even if your zoom level is too high.

It's working like that in many other games and I also prefer to have a completely free camera that let you see where you want in a single movement. But now people can freely choose the behavior with the option.

BTW, about the whole camera code, is the grab mode really useful? And without the new cursors, it's quite useless or it would need some changes...

Some time ago Florian also suggested to me an option for the follow mode that fixes the camera behind the char a little like in all 3rd person view games. I think it's a good idea and we could also allow the 3 mouse button rotation in this mode but it would need to bring the camera to the char's back as soon as the mouse button is released. Would it be interested to implement such a feature?

There had been a follow mode in the past, but it wasn't very good, so people didn't use it often.

I very much like grab mode because it lets you easily move the camera to look around. Isn't there a way to make one of those X's in the middle of the screen without the new cursors? Even still, it's not bad without it.

Isn't this pretty much what the normal camera view + follow cam is that we have already? Except for you saying that the camera snaps back in place...I honestly don't see any need for another camera view, but if it's another option and people like it then why not as well...

- right click camera moving: i understand the need of this option, but can it be optional too? right click is also used to change the cursor, and again it is annoying to have the camera turning when you try to attack something.

Right click camera...huh? Is this just that MAC thing people were talking about..cause I don't see anything of it.

Isn't this pretty much what the normal camera view + follow cam is that we have already? Except for you saying that the camera snaps back in place...I honestly don't see any need for another camera view, but if it's another option and people like it then why not as well...

With the actual follow mode, you can put the camera wherever you want so sometimes it's quite weird...

I can try to implement Florian's idea or if someone else want to do it, it's fine for me.

Right click camera...huh? Is this just that MAC thing people were talking about..cause I don't see anything of it.

Yes, it's Mac only and not configurable yet.

Because most Mac users don't have a third mouse button, some don't even have a second mouse button. The right-click idea is very new to the Mac world.

/EDIT: now it's configurable, defaults to off

Edited by Florian

I've implemented Florian's ideas about the follow camera mode and they are in the CVS. Please tell me if you see any problems...

I've implemented Florian's ideas about the follow camera mode and they are in the CVS. Please tell me if you see any problems...

Compiling I'm getting (#FEATURES += SKY_FPV):

events.c: In function ‘HandleEvent’:
events.c:258: error: ‘fol_cam’ undeclared (first use in this function)
events.c:258: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
events.c:258: error: for each function it appears in.)
events.c:258: error: ‘fol_cam_behind’ undeclared (first use in this function)
events.c:260: error: ‘hold_camera’ undeclared (first use in this function)
events.c:260: error: ‘camera_kludge’ undeclared (first use in this function)
events.c:260: error: ‘last_kludge’ undeclared (first use in this function)
make: *** [events.o] Error 1

I'm not sure yet but I think that offending block of code needs to be covered with a #if defined SKY_FPV like:

#if defined SKY_FPV                
               if (fol_cam && !fol_cam_behind)
               {
                       hold_camera += camera_kludge - last_kludge;
                       last_kludge = camera_kludge;
               }
#endif //SKY_FPV

I'm also getting similar issue in gamewin.c the blocks starting around lines 1892, 1913, 1934, and 1955

Forgive me if I'm out in left field, I'm not too familiar with this code.

Couple of issues again:

pixelated sky: i get this from time to time, even at night. It lasts a couple of minutes and then goes back to normal.

free camera: free camera can go underground. To reproduce this you have to place the camera almost at ground level and then move it with a fast mouse stroke. It also seems impossible to bring it back over the surface...i switch to first person and back.

EDIT:

ehm sorry, editing images :)

EDIT2:

k, done

Edited by Fedora

There seems to be a bug in how SKY_FPV handles ini entries: I get these on my el.ini (last lines):

#follow_cam_behind= 0
#ext_cam_auto_zoom= 1
#follow_cam_behind= 0
#follow_cam_behind= 0
#follow_cam_behind= 1
#follow_cam_behind= 0
#follow_cam_behind= 1
#follow_cam_behind= 0
#follow_cam_behind= 0
#follow_cam_behind= 0
#follow_cam_behind= 0

Quickly fixable, I suppose.