Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Problems with the update

Obviously I read it already :P. Any idea which one I've read now, or none of them?

You read the book denoted by the knowledge string, rather than by the book name (I had assigned the wrong knowledge ID to it).

I have the same problem and I reported it for several release candidates. Unfortunatly it was not picked up there. It seems the new client shows objects far more in the distance. Therefore much more objects need to be rendered and FPS performance grinds to a halt. The performance increases much if you are on the edge of a map and face the edge, so I think it realy has to do with the number of objects to be rendered. A workaround is to change your perspective settings so you don't see as much of the environment or to play in isometric view. It would be nice if there was a configuration option for the maximum distance that is rendered (is that the far plane? I'm not a 3d programmer).

My machine:

Windows XP SP2 with all patches installed

P4 3.2 Ghz, 1 Gb ram

Radeon X740XL 128 Mb

I tried several graphic drivers, including Omega drivers, but no real difference in performance.

I only got a chance to play the update when there were almost no monsters, so i'm looking forward to play again tonight with all monsters present :)

Cheers,

DrCrusher

You must be doing something wrong.

My machine is an AMD 64 +3000, ATI Mobility 9600 64MB VRAM

And I get over 50 FPS in most of the places, unless I am near some storage whe I get maybe 30 FPS.

Post a screenshot so I can see the perspective you are using.

I have the same problem and I reported it for several release candidates. Unfortunatly it was not picked up there. It seems the new client shows objects far more in the distance. Therefore much more objects need to be rendered and FPS performance grinds to a halt. The performance increases much if you are on the edge of a map and face the edge, so I think it realy has to do with the number of objects to be rendered. A workaround is to change your perspective settings so you don't see as much of the environment or to play in isometric view. It would be nice if there was a configuration option for the maximum distance that is rendered (is that the far plane? I'm not a 3d programmer).

My machine:

P4 3.2 Ghz, 1 Gb ram

Radeon X740XL 128 Mb

I tried several graphic drivers, including Omega drivers, but no real difference in performance.

I only got a chance to play the update when there were almost no monsters, so i'm looking forward to play again tonight with all monsters present :P

Cheers,

DrCrusher

And I get over 50 FPS in most of the places, unless I am near some storage whe I get maybe 30 FPS.

Unfortunatly i can't post screenshots now, but my post in the RC3 thread explains a lot i think:

RC3 thread

Look at my posts #37 and #39. If needed I can post screenshots later today.

Thanks,

DrCrusher

Umm, then adjust the perspective, like most of the people? :)

That's what I suggested in my initial post :D

It works pretty good on my machine with adjusted perspective, but my wife's machine is a bit less powerfull and she must play the new version in isometric view to get a reasonable FPS. The old client worked well for her in perspective mode. And i've an old P3 667 Mhz too, with which I could play the old version, but which is too slow to be able to play the new version at all.

Can you plz confirm if the cause is indeed the far plane distance and if it has changed since 1.1.2? If so, would you consider making this setting configurable in the options screen? :P

Thanks,

DrCrusher.

Maybe just my PC.

But I get the Developed using C++ crap in SKF..

By the Bridge, when I turn the Camera angle, it just says that.

I'll check graphics card later, lol.

well if i posted my error log it would take 3 pages in itself... it is pretty long. yes i am using windows. it is windos XP. my graphics card is labeled 3DIntel Extreme Graphics AGP... i dont know if that is the graphics card... im not that computer-y...

if you want me to post my full error log just tell me its just really long and i didnt want to get in trouble

Remove the log, start the game again. Now the log should contain just the log from the last execution, that is likely to be shorter.

ok i removed the log, but it freezes up right when it gets to the connecting to server and doesnt give me another error log...

I am getting horrible performance now in all maps that have water and/or lots of objects, for example morcraven, or tarsengard.

Game is basically unplayable in those maps.

WinXP, 512MB, ATI radeon mobility 9000 64 MB

Disable reflections?

gives me 1 or 2 frames more, still far away from the performance of the old client...any chance to get the client w/o the speed fix to work with the new version?

What CPU?

p4, 2.66 GHz

@Soldus: Very strange.. did you try to play with the video options?

My machine:

P4 3.2 Ghz, 1 Gb ram

Radeon X740XL 128 Mb

I only got a chance to play the update when there were almost no monsters, so i'm looking forward to play again tonight with all monsters present :)

Cheers,

DrCrusher

OK, i uninstalled myATI drivers and installed the newest OMEGA drivers which also base on a 2 step later catalyst, but that didnt change anything at all.

I do manage to bring up my FPS in said places from 2-3 to around 7 if everything turned off and perspective not set any higher than 0.40.

The game is running very jerky and aprupt still then, the floating messages aren't floating, but stuttering their way up :P

If there was a chance to get a client that doesnt use the speed fix, it would be a huge improvement for my computers performance, i never got less than 15 FPS in those places before, with higher perspective setting and everything turned on (shadows, cloudshadows and reflections).

I also notice that my computer is running at 100% CPU load now most places, while it usually was around 50-60% before the update.

Maybe just my PC.

But I get the Developed using C++ crap in SKF..

By the Bridge, when I turn the Camera angle, it just says that.

I'll check graphics card later, lol.

funny, that bridge is bugged for me as well, but it wont crash the client.. its simply transparent in the reflections (just like someone else mentioned about another bridge somewhere). Check screenshot...

bug.jpg

Developed using C++ when entering MM cave.

My fps is overall a bit better for this version, but my cpu is running as hard as it will go. (p4 2.8ghz)

Raven is very laggy now with all the trees around. only about 3-4 fps.

other than that the client is working well with my intel 845g chipset. Will install my geforce4 mx4000 card tonight and see how it responds.

Yesterday when the update came out i just downloaded the update and i got this message Couldn't find the OpenGL Shading Language extension, not using it... Point Particles disabled. So today i uninstalled the game and reinstalled it and this is the message i get now, Couldn't find the OpenGL Shading Language extension, not using it... Point Particles disabled. Shadowmapping disabled (need newer hardware). Is it the game or my computer?

Problem, I keep getting this message when i open the game window, "Couldn't find the OpenGL Shading Language extension, not using it... Point Particles disabled.". I got this message yesterday after i downloaded the update, so today i uninstalled the game and reinstalled it and i'm still getting that message.

I still got that message and I've tryed to login to the game and the game screen always freezes when it gets to "loading 3D objects".

Edited by VixenRose

The maps work fine for me with the latest linux release.

Hello :blink:

I can't get working the linux version downloaded from: http://www.other-life.com/el/el_120_linux_full.zip

I use Gentoo (there is no ebuild for this new version) and, after unzip the file in

/usr/local/games/el

I started the client, but, when the client contact with the server, it says that the version is no longer supported. I tried downloading update and unzipping over that directory too, but it didn't work, can anyone help me, please?

By the way I deleted my /.elc directory.

I tried with the Windows version in Wine too, and it works fine but I have problems with the mouse.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for bad english. :)

I use Gentoo too ;-)

I first also had your problem, when I started the 64 bit version. But I had no problems with /usr/games/bin/el.x86.linux.bin

Oh, and don't forget to change permissions and ownership! See my post a few pages back.

here a small howto for upgrading (the way i did it):

as there is no ebuild for new version yet, i decided to build from cvs.

following all as user!

$ mkdir el
$ cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.elc.berlios.de:/cvsroot/elc login
Logging in to :pserver:anonymous@cvs.elc.berlios.de:2401/cvsroot/elc
CVS password:  // leave that blank, just press enter
$ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.elc.berlios.de:/cvsroot/elc co elc
// lot's of files are getted from cvs server now (tip revision)
//now we should have the sources, let's build them
$ cd elc
$ make -f Makefile.linux
// compiler working now...

now download the zip file of the client and unzip it to a direcotry of your choice. The Problem is, the cvs build only supports you with the executables for the client, not including the maps, models, sounds etc...

so we have to copy them from the zip file. right now i'm to lazy to post them all, but you can go this way: compare which directory apearing from unziped archive isn't located in ~/el/elc and you know what to copy.

or you take conqueror, copy it all into ~/el/elc and jump over the files and directories that already exist.

at least you have to change your ini located at ~/.elc/el.ini and modify it:

#data_dir = ~/el/elc/

so the new data from zip archive is used...

that's all so far, enjoy playing...

LOOOL the transparent underside of the bridge isn't going to crash your client xD

It's been there forever, you can just see it now for some reason.

WTF?

Now actually concerning the topic: I had problems with linux version, but used Learners temporary workaround (rename mirrors.lst) and it's working.Dunno what that file was supposed to do, but so far I've been able to play.

Edited by Ornitorrinco

1. You screwed up the maps! :icon4:

A little change never hurts. :)

3. The new [change maps] sprakles effects is horrible! :icon4: The first one was better! :):blink:

I like it. And the fire looks much better. :wacko:

4. Did you move raven on WS again!? :blink::icon4:

I agree, the old place (in Trinvood) was better. Almost everything was near. (I suppose that's the cause she moved)

ps. If you don't like the changes, why do you play a beta game?

Edited by petersohn

For the ATI people, try to play with your ATI settings, especially the OpenGL settings. Chose speed over quality. By default, they don't really work well.

Soldus, that is a laptop, right? If so, is it using a Mobile pentium CPU?

I noticed an odd quirk...

When fighting cyclops...the bags can't be seen anymore when the cyclops dies. The appearance is that either the bags shrunk, or the cyclops got bigger...

I noticed that for other bigger creatures as well, for example bears, ogres, large gargs. As I remember, when I was training with gargs, the bags were unreachable. Then came an update, which solved the problem. Now they are unreachable again.

::Prods someone who knows how to build a Gentoo ebuild. Thanks!

For the ATI people, try to play with your ATI settings, especially the OpenGL settings. Chose speed over quality. By default, they don't really work well.

It doesn't seem to make any difference in FPS when I adjust those OpenGL settings. Besides, it does not explain why the previous version was performing much better with the same OpenGL settings. ;)

By the way, several people told me ingame that they also have a serious performance drop, but they did not post here (yet). Hopefully they will do so later, so you get more info on the issue.

Thanks for trying to help.

TWIMC: I have had 2 segfaults in about 30 minutes. Is there an error log somewhere that I can submit to the devs?

Is it possible that you compile the game in the debugging mode and run it under GDB?

Edited by Entropy