Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Protolif got banned for hax0ring

Look what mr. not_nice_person* replyed on the Rich forum:

New postPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:00 pm Post subject: Just to clear things up... Reply with quote

I know what some of you may be thinking... but i'm not an evil malicious hacker. Not at all. I couldn't hack my way out of a box. They're just trying to hype it up to take attention away from the fact that the game isnt secure because they won't use encryption on the passwords.

Look, not_nice_person*, you ARE a malicious hacker because you STOLE people's items and gave them away, as a 'generous gift' to people in a contest, making it very difficult for us track them down and return them to their owners.

Don't give me this shit with "i am not a malicious hacker". What you did is PLAIN WRONG and there is no excuse for it.

While one day working on my bot code (Remember RichSeller?). I happened upon a very simple exploit, by accident. So whatever they're telling you about 'their security being fixed' is bullsmeg.

It is, you not_nice_person*. It was fixed minutes after you mde the exploit public.

Meet Deamonica. All she knows how to do is log in and say '@' in a channel. The only thing that different about this message is that the 'length' of the message is supposed to be 1 but its like 50 (or whatever the maxlength of an in-game message is).

Thats the exploit. In all its mystery. Completely by accident.

Anyway, if there's one bug like this, then there's several. And I must state that as much as we all love EL, this kind of thing is to be expected from a BETA game. It would not be unusual for all the accounts to just get wiped one day for whatever reason. It happens in other games all the time.

Yeah, because if there is one something there must be many something like that. Strawmen logic. And even if there were problems where the whole userbase would be whiped out, we'd just restore it from the latest backups, that are at most a week old, but usually less than that.

Yes I got overly-excited and curious and took some things from people's accounts. Sorry.

Yeah, I got curious about what my neighbour has in his car, and then, while I was at it, I stole his stereo. Yhen I got curious about my other neighbour and did the same. And so on.

But I submitted the bug to Learner and that is how they 'found the hacker'. Not by anything they did. I suggested that some basic encryption be used on the login part and was ignored. Shortly afterwards I was banned from the game and the forum, so I wasn't even able to defend myself. So I posted my code on pretty much every forum just to kinda 'stick it to the man'. Because that's what they have become to me. With their falsly advertized 'completely free game' where you have to pay for good items.

No, you not_nice_person*, I got you by looking in our logs and seen how you logged in on other people's accounts. I didn't even know it was you the one who submited the exploit until I asked the other mods if they know anythign about you, and Learner told me it was you who submited the exploit.

Anyhow, take care everybody. I your eyes are opened a little. I'll be back a little later to post some more. In the mean time, check out a game called Maple Story. Its kinda fun. Bye

If by now I wasn't really sure I want to notify the police, in addition to his ISP, now I am pretty god damn sure, because there is no bit of honesty or regret in this guy's hear, and tries to cast the blame on us, because hey, it was us who stole people's items.

*replace not_nice_person with your insult of choice.

Guest Ghandi
*replace not_nice_person with your insult of choice.

184923[/snapback]

lol, i got a couple good ones :P

Edited by Ghandi

I thought I must have got hit by a bug. I am missing a sep. sword. He must have got me too?

184668[/snapback]

I see from further looking thru my storage mysteriously I am missing I serp, 3 greaves, and 4 cruisses. Along with several efes (have no clue how many). Who knows what else could have been taken that I don't see missing.

What an @$$. I hope you guys really hose this guy as much as possible. This is the lowest thing I have ever seen anyone pull here. I only wish I could run across this guy in real life so I could show him how I feel right now

I was unable to check because I don't know what your username is in the game.

184982[/snapback]

Woops :mace: you said on forums so I thought you ment in our forums lol...sorry.

In game its Creeping_Death

Yes, he got you too.

PM me with a list of lost items, and tell me a time you will be in the game.

BTW, everyone that got hax0red please send an e-mail to abuse@security.rr.com and explain the incident.

Regarding the ips and that thing, the thing is as easy as to get a shell account anywhere with a silly admin (most of windows ones do not log anything at all) and attack from there. Of course, you will need to have space in that account to use the programs that you need, well, that is the harder part, but not impossible. There should be zilliions of methods, but im not a hacker, so I dont know them :P There are millions of lammerish (mostly outdated, but still) docs in the net to make such lame things.

184818[/snapback]

Uhm... all you need is a packet-forwarding program, or maybe a simple bot and a binary file to feed through it. Unfortunately, space if not a problem. (No, I'm no cracker, but it seems fairly self evident. After all, that's all a bot is, just a bot has logic, and can respond.) This is one of the largest problems, detection- and logging-wise.

Even if the shell provider doesn't support compiling and running your own programs, chances are they may have something like telnet (or maybe the old talk program lying around). And thus, why so many shell providers now ask for home addresses, valid phone numbers, etc.

Thanks for that corrections. I thought of running trhu a shell account a program. Thats why I said the comment about the space needed, since ussually, most accounts doesn0t have the space to put the whole game to run it from there. But, as stated, in terms of hacking knowledge im a pure lammer :lol:

For not_nice_person: well, he stole. A hacker that just intend to make visible a bug can enter an account, play a bit with it, change the dresses of the character and put the previous dresses and 20k lilacs on the hacked char's storage, and leave everything on its place. So the demonstration is there and everyone knows that you hacked, and there is no need to stole.

That would be illegal too, though , but at least you can call yourself Robin Hood. But if you stole, you stole.

Guest Enyo
Like I said quite a few times, he didn't get banned for hacking. He got banned for stealing.

185137[/snapback]

After reading all of the posts by him..i retract my previous statements concerning giving him mercy. he obviously NEEDS to be taught a serious life changing lesson that will hopefully leave a strong enough impact upon his mind that he NEVER does something so stupid, wrongful, selfish and arrogant and again. in otherwords, throw the book at him, HARD!! :P

depends on the size of the book... should be War and Peace if it has to be one book, IMO...

...though why use one book when you got the entire library! :lol:

I lost 46,844 GC, 2 tit longs, Tit short of ice, serp sword, mm cloak, conj cloak....learner checked and found out i was hit by protolif.

Edited by queenjenny

I lost 46,844 GC, 2 tit longs, Tit short of ice, serp sword, mm cloak, conj cloak....learner checked and found out i was hit by protolif.

185958[/snapback]

Entropy, time reference in logs, July 28th 18:28+

Guest Lopy_do1111

to all that got robbed im sorry i knew him personily he was my freind .........i thought and to some of u that didnt get all your stuff back msg me and i wil ltry to help u get it back and as far as protolif goes i hope he got in trouble

: :P <-----protolif :battleaxe_rune: <------------------entropy

protolif hits:6

entropy hits:1000000000000

protolif has died :x u lose you noob have a nice day u have been pwned loser

After reading all of the posts by him..i retract my previous statements concerning giving him mercy.  he obviously NEEDS to be taught a serious life changing lesson that will hopefully leave a strong enough impact upon his mind that he NEVER does something so stupid, wrongful, selfish and arrogant and again.  in otherwords, throw the book at him, HARD!!  :)

185152[/snapback]

hey, if ya run outta books to throw, i have a bunchof books at home that are FRIGGIN' HEAVY at home you can throw :P and a bunch of sharp rocks too, OH, and a i have a huge stick that is leaning on my wall that is never used :):):mace::hehe:

glad i wasnt hit, but even if i was i probably wouldnt have noticed, since i dont own anything rare, and i rarely have more than 5k. and to all of you who lost stuff to that selfish bastard, i am truly sorry for you, and hope you can track down all the stuff you lost.

Edited by roren

f = open('logphile.txt', 'a')

Is this part of the source code this refers to? if so it was posted on our forums, and I only happened to fall across this thread today.