Eternal Lands Official Forums
Aerowind

Linux

I'm trying to install Novell Desktop Linux at my house but it only asks for the first CD installs then tries to boot... goes to a black screen and does nothing

HELP PLZ!!!

I'm trying to install Novell Desktop Linux at my house but it only asks for the first CD installs then tries to boot... goes to a black screen and does nothing

HELP PLZ!!!

I would suggest to install it on your computer and not at your house.

*Ducks*

:P

Piper

I sugest that you dont install anything that says Novell on it

Why dont you try Gentoo Debian or slackware? or if worse comes to worse install...............fedora :)

Gentoo for a newbie?!!! Are you crazy?!!!!

Debian could be ok, but I havent much hope for a newbie. As for slackware...I wont go there :)

Aero, what happened to your last installation? Why are you installing again?

Entropy even had problems trying to install Debian and Gentoo....he found that Mempis was the easiest user-friendly version. Why don't you try that one Aerowind?

Entropy even had problems trying to install Debian and Gentoo....he found that Mempis was the easiest user-friendly version. Why don't you try that one Aerowind?

Mepis is not very, erm, feature rich compared to Fedora, and believe me, on a 56k Modem, you don't want to have to download things that didn't come with the distro....at least I don't (Uses the ancient Fedora Core 1, oft updated from source).

Really? He should probably stay with a Mac then, no chance he's going to figure out how to install that piece of smeg Windows...

I clearly remember trying to install Windows back when I dual booted... Windows found my ISDN card, but didn't have a driver. So, I needed to download a driver, so I could get online, so I could download a driver :lol: Good thing I could just reboot to Linux and download the drivers. If Windows would just tell me which drivers to download... "Unknown graphics card" is not the easiest thing to find a driver for :D I needed to take a look inside the machine, and there was a Matrox G200 - which www.matrox.com of course didn't have a driver for, no, but they had for productivia, millenium, mystique and a row of other cards. Now, which one is the G200? I think I got the right one on the third or fourth try.

And of course all that came after installing Windows the first time, because it trashed the partition table the first time and overwrote the Linux partition :P - which fortunately didn't conatain important data, the important stuff was on the other harddrive, which I had unplugged just in case Windows felt like overwriting something :)

I guess that's why PCs come with restore CDs nowadays - noone can figure out to install Windows :o

Edited by Leeloo

Um...windows installation consists of putting the CD in, and uh..following one of those step-by-step extremely user-friendly guides....a Linux distro...haha, yeah right, don't think i'd be able to install the whole thing in less than a week :)

(of course that is because I know absolutely nothing about linux)

Um...windows installation consists of putting the CD in, and uh..following one of those step-by-step extremely user-friendly guides....a Linux distro...haha, yeah right, don't think i'd be able to install the whole thing in less than a week :)

(of course that is because I know absolutely nothing about linux)

Select packages, hit install... in general, more stuff is auto-configured than on Windows, and it's much easier to install. Especially the UI distros, like Mepis, VectorLinux and Fedora.

easier than windows..uh..tell entropy that :P he tried quite a few distro's of linux before almost giving up and going back to windows...but he still does use windows.

Um...windows installation consists of putting the CD in, and uh..following one of those step-by-step extremely user-friendly guides....

Um, would that be the restore CD? I mentioned those, IMHO they make those because Windows is too hard to install.

No, just the normal regular windows installation CD...that is how I installed it on my computer, I don't understand how you think it was hard. All you've got to do is follow the setup menu's and click ok from time to time :P

you get trouble if its a copied CD of windows copied from a friends oroginal CD i know cuz my bro used it for our comp and well he said some nasty words doing it :P but once windows works its ok.. except for safety lol i remember once i wasn't allowed to install stuff and it said 'sorry, you can't instaal things on this comuter' or something and i clicked ok and it actually installed the game i wanted LOL so far for windows security and keeping your little brothers from installing games on the computer :huh:

Um...windows installation consists of putting the CD in, and uh..following one of those step-by-step extremely user-friendly guides

WRONG.

REINSTALLING WINDOWS

A Step by Step Guide by Chatterbug

1. run setup.exe

2. Look at friendly message

3. reboot

4. see small barely noticeable message about the posiblitly of windows setup crashing and that if it does you should restart your computer.

5. Follow Instructions.

6. CRASH.

7. Pull Power...

Yes...that realy did happen...pathetic eh? I got a this program has performed a lillegal operation error :-P

Anyways, you all forgot Slackware :P

you get trouble if its a copied CD of windows copied from a friends oroginal CD i know cuz my bro used it for our comp and well he said some nasty words doing it :D but once windows works its ok.. except for safety lol i remember once i wasn't allowed to install stuff and it said 'sorry, you can't instaal things on this comuter' or something and i clicked ok and it actually installed the game i wanted LOL so far for windows security and keeping your little brothers from installing games on the computer :P

I got something like that in the autosummarize of MS word. "You do not have this feature installed." I clicked cancel. "Now autosummarizing this document..."

I think my computer went crazy.

No, just the normal regular windows installation CD...that is how I installed it on my computer, I don't understand how you think it was hard. All you've got to do is follow the setup menu's and click ok from time to time :P

So, clicking "ok" is magically going to download the drivers, so that I can get online to download the drivers?

And erm, if it had asked "Windows is going to trash your partition table and overwrite the hard drive", I would definitely NOT have clicked ok ;) But it didn't even ask :P:)

I dont blame ent with the gentoo installation. Installing Gentoo requires you have some decent knowledge of Linux and certainly your hardware (not saying that Ent doesnt :)). Im suprised with Debian though, thats usually quite easy.

Oh, and Leeloo; what do you expect? ;):P

Edited by Placid

bah..i understand you guys are anti-windows, but you really go overboard with stupid things now :o I can say a lot of bad things about Linux, from what i've seen and heard entropy tell me about, but why trash another OS? I'm not against any OS, and if others use a specific OS and it works for them..just accept that and think "maybe it's not as bad as I want to say it is" ....shuttup already! :o

I don't have problems with others using Windows. If they would just keep it to themselves.

I do however have a problem with me using Windows, no matter if it's at work or because some stupid game requires paying a lot of money to Microsoft just to be allowed to play :o

And I have problems with people claiming that Windows is easy to use (or in this case install), and when I have something I can't figure out, they tell me to try the things I already tried, but noone can actually solve the problem. No matter how easy they claim Windows is :o

When I go home from work I am happy to go home to a Linux system that's easy to use, and just works without wasting loads of time trying to figure out how to make it do simple things, like I need to with Windows. And installing Linux was easier too, at least back in '98 when I got my first PC - theoretically it might have gotten harder to install since then, but as Linux doesn't require reinstalling, I haven't had a need to try :o Now, if I could just figure out how to replace the hardware (including PSU, CPU and mainboard) without rebooting :o

When I go home from work I am happy to go home to a Linux system that's easy to use, and just works without wasting loads of time trying to figure out how to make it do simple things, like I need to with Windows. And installing Linux was easier too, at least back in '98 when I got my first PC - theoretically it might have gotten harder to install since then, but as Linux doesn't require reinstalling, I haven't had a need to try :) Now, if I could just figure out how to replace the hardware (including PSU, CPU and mainboard) without rebooting :D

Do you actually believe what you are saying?

This may be a bit exaggerated :D

Example number 1: Using a USB pen drive

WINDOWS

- Connect to USB port

- You automatically have a new drive

- Use it.

Linux:

- Connect to USB port

- Nothing happens

- Good now lets waste some time reading what you must do.

- We ONLY have to recompile the kernel with scsi support and maybe add some filesystems

- Now use mount to use it.

Example number 2: Installing a program

Windows:

- Download

- Double click

- Use program

Linux:

- Download

- tar xzvf file

- configure, make. Start praying now.

- I only need 398724932 libs more.

- Download libs

- tar xzvf file

- Infinite loop

Example number 2: Installing a program

Windows:

- Download

- Double click

- Use program

Linux:

- Download

- tar xzvf file

- I only need 398724932 libs more.

- Download libs

- tar xzvf file

- Infinite loop

really last time I checked all I had to do was

emerge (program name here)

about the usb thing its really easy (see mount command) plus I dont mind recompiling my kernel that takes all of 2 minutes to do, not that I ever have to, I just like to stay current

plus to update my entire OS all I have to

emerge -e world

but really linux is not for everyone if you like power and full control then go linux, if you like "user friendlyness and not having to think" go windows

Edited by Specter