Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sheik

Duel feature implementation

I started to work on the duel feature implementation on the client. I started to write the code for the client duel window. At the moment there isn't any support for it on the test server.

The window will be called Duel. I'll put a screenshot of it when I find a place to host it. Waiting for suggestions on how this feature should work (right-click on player, new cursor/button).

Great :)

Dueling...uh-oh...icon problem! :P We're giong to have to solve this "no more room for another icon" problem eventually guys..I think I will do some brainstorming on an alt. interface to make it work.

anyway... I would think the best way is to click on the person with the Duel cursor, then a small window comes up with this:

PLAYERNAME wants to challenge you to a duel! Do you accept?

ACCEPT        DECLINE

*Note: dueling is a pk fight, so you may die and loose items. Duel at your own risk!

So you'd click on accept or decline, and there can be a check box underneath each word if that would be better. That way you can see the other person has their box checked-just like in the trade window.

Not much else to it.

Why icon? Not some command? #duel [playername] Player1 sends duel request to Player2:

#duel Player2

and Player2 responds:

#duel Player1

And now they are in duel mode - can attack each other till they will not disengage - then

they type it again...

Regards.

Platya what about accidents while typing? Or name variations?

For example:

There are 2 players in game: Kit & Kitara (we get each other's PMs all the time)

#duel Kit (when they only type the first few letters but really mean Kitara)

and then I accept and kill them when he really wanted to fight Kitara?

And now they are in duel mode - can attack each other till they will not disengage - then

they type it again...

The main idea behind duelling is that once you start it you cannot disengage. Players will have the option to see eachother's stats before accepting or rejecting the fight.

Duelling window made by Sheik :

sc1.jpg

It will work this way :

- once both checkboxes are checked ( that's pre duelling stage ) it will show under each player Att / Def / Phys / Coord

- If both players check the lower chekboxed the duel will start. This way is prevented any "scamming".

Duelling is a fight to the death . There is no Dis Rings and no Flee in it . Fight to death ...Best will win.

Can't it work like the trade system?

Regards.

That looks good :P

Can the text that I posted be added as well? Just to make it look more professional & understandable, and also as a warning for newbies who dont know.

If it is going to be implemented there are some other things there has to be thought about first.

When does a duel end ? After succesful flee ?

Thats not really an option, because most people flee to get more exp.

Every time you have to click the duelling screen again.

Until one of them dies ?

Well the fight is certainly finished, but suppose the duellists only want to fight for exp without every time having to walk back again.

Maybe for duelling the 14 rounds rule should be skipped (it was 14 wasn't it ? ) and you do not have to flee to get exp again.

And maybe also important, no duels on IP or in the underworld. Otherwise its getting crowded with players that are duelling (maybe exceptions for players under level 10 attack OR level 10 defence).

And no duels near storages (lag and space problems)

I think that they shouldn't be able to flee & get exp. So, disable the fleeing. If you agree to the fight it's a fight to the death.

But they will.

Thats mostly the point in fighting.

So the practice will be

1. invite

2. accept

3. fight

4. flee

5. goto 1

How about removing the rounds cap from fighting against animals/monsters.

The game is growing bigger and bigger, so round cap = gone means shorter fights with the exp you get when fleeing.

That results in more people having the possibility of fighting at the same spawn.

I used to fight for more than 5 minutes with a single creature to get more exp with fleeing (once got 20.000 exp from a small garg that way).

I do not want the dueling system abused for training. That's why the fight is always to death, otherwise people will find all kind of ways to abuse it.

Or, have the dueling system give no exp. That is also what is planned for the Arena Contests - no exp given

Then maybe you shouldn't loose any items either?

Or, have the dueling system give no exp. That is also what is planned for the Arena Contests - no exp given

I strongly encourage you to do this if you don't want this feature to be abused for training. Fighting do death (only) won't help, look what players are doing atm ...

However -- if I may add my two cents -- please consider a "training mode" checkbox (exp gain and no fight-to-death). There is no difference if players train fighting each other or fighting monsters, except for the former is more entertaining :P Maybe you could limit the exp gain as is done in harvesting, include random stops, teleports and such for making it harder to set up bots. The code is already there :) These are just ideas, I dont want to argue about how the feature is to be used.

I also see there is already someone working on this feature, so please tell me if you want me to work on this anyway so I can focuse on other projects if not.

Sincerely yours,

Lachesis

please consider a "training mode" checkbox (exp gain and no fight-to-death).

That would be even worse. If they gain exp it MUST I mean MUST be a fight to the death otherwise it's free exp! However, it can be gain no exp and NO fight to the death..but that's more what hte arena contests will be for.

I think it should be like this:

Dueling fights

-no fleeing or disengaging

-exp IS earned

-it is a fight to the death

Or you can make it so that players are able to flee, but fleeing means you gain no exp. from the duel. Only if you stick to the end you can gain exp points.

then you wouldn't be able to duel in the *underworld, it's not hell :P

...but you're right. this would just lead to people dueling on IP, friends anyway. Why would they duel anywhere else? Unless they are RPers...

So, what about having no exp earned and fleeing allowed?

<Comments>

Broms Comment: You could set terms to the fight, whatever you guys decide about fleeing/exp gain/junk is up to you to include but I mean options like, "Fight to the death" "Keep all Equipment" "Winner take all" (winner gets ALL other players items on him, not just dropped things) Also silly ones people may like such as "No potions" "No healing" "Fist fight" (Cannot wield weapon)

Also, a new command would be handy, to be used before dueling'

#sizeup or something like it. To show you the odds of winning, a formula using att/def/cross attributes in fighting.

Thank you for listening.....reading my comments.

</Comments>

EDIT: In MUD's there is a PK clock, when someone kills another player the player that died cannot fight the player he/she just died to for a set amount of time, this could help with the exp gain/fighting in IP and underworld problem.

Edited by EWQ222