Eternal Lands Official Forums

Because I play 2 characters who both have their individual needs for item_lists, I think it would be nice if I can make a list per player. Recipes, stats etc are allready per player.

It could look something like this:

item_lists_faxie

item_lists_donc

If there is a way to achieve this functionality by some other way, I would love to hear it.

One quick workaround might be to create a new user on your box, then run the el client as the new user and log in as faxie from there.

The item lists etc for faxie would be in the new user's profile.

Or use the server.lst file to store the files for each character in separate config directories.

Edited by bluap

Or use the server.lst file to store the files for each character in separate config directories.

I will look into it when I get home. TY.

If you are on Linux, just use separate directories for each of your characters, then have a shell script to start the game for whichever character you want. For example, here is the contents of a shell file called "wt", which I use when I want to play as Will_Travel:

#!/bin/sh

# Start Eternal Lands with Will_Travel

rm .elc &&

ln -s .elc.Will_Travel .elc &&

el

The first line removes the symbolic link to the directory of whoever you played last (e.g., .elc.Aryisa_Fen).

The second line symbolically links the directory of the character you wish to play to .elc, which is the configuration directory for EL.

The third line starts the game.

When I want to play as Will_travel, I just type "./wt" in my home directory from a terminal window.

I have one of these shell files for each of my alts. (I use a completely different account for my main character, which allows me to play my main and an alt at the same time.)

I forgot two things in my earlier post:

1. An added benefit is that quest logs, notebooks, etc., etc. are different for each character.

2. When first creating a new alt, remove the ".elc" symbolic link, start EL and create your character. EL will create a new ".elc" directory. When you are done, exit EL, "mv .elc .elc.new_character", "ln -s .elc.new_character .elc", and create a new shell script like the one above, which you will use when you want to play as your new character.

Why doing this sgik whereas you can simply add a line in the server.lst file as bluap explained?

1. I didn't know about servers.lst (not server.lst) when I came up with this method.

2. servers.lst on my machine is in /usr/share/games/eternal-lands/servers.lst. That means that when the client is updated, servers.lst will be overwritten, and I will have to apply the changes again.

3. I would have to type "el wt", instead of "./wt", which is an additional character (all that extra work!), or create a shell file to do that anyway.