Eternal Lands Official Forums
Fourier

Bag Jumpers

I have an idea for bag jumper revenge that could add some nice excitement to the game.

Basically, if you pick up a bag that you did not drop or kill, you become pkable with a red

name tag for 5 minutes from the time you took the bag.

Currently, you can bag jump with almost zero repercussions. Sure, most people wont like

you and some wont sell to you, but that is of very little consequence to most people who

bag jump. The only time you can get back at a bag jumper is by pking them. However,

no bag jumper will ever go into PK, so that is not a real threat either.

I am sure there are concerns like bag sitting. This can be handled by putting items into

the bag until the player returns. Also, guild members and allies cannot pk each

other, so they should not become pkable when they go into each other bags for things

like guild projects and muling.

so a newcomer to the game finds a bag on the ground with some stuff in and thinks cool,

grabs it all and is pkable for 5 minutes without him knowing why? o_0

Anyways. as much Bagjumpers are maybe hated by player, its part of the gameplay i think.

I mean what would you think if someone suggests Punishing one of favourite stuff you do just because

he doesnt like it? I see your point and im not a Bagjumper. i just think it shouldnt be punished like that

Trade Embargos and the Bounty Hunt after Bjers are allready a punishment enough imo.

Just imho

How would such a system determine the difference between a bag jumper and someone who simply goes into IP or VOTD and cleans up all the stuff left behind by other hunters?

Bad idea. I don't like it. Bagjumper is NOT illegal, it is part of the game, why to punish anybody for playing according to the rules?

There is zero repercussion for quite an obvious reason, isn't there? Bagjumping may be rude, nasty and generally an outlaw act, but hey! it is perfectly legal!

<edit>

/sarcasm

<edit 2>

removed <sarcasm>

Edited by Anshar

Grimnir raises the big point here. Since i always need meat/bones/various furs, if i'm walking through Votd (Which is rare, Glacmor ftw!), ill pick up every unclaimed wolf/rabbit/beaver/bear bag i see, as well as kill animals for these items...Theres a difference between picking up a bag, and stealing someone else's bag.

[edit]

spelling

[/edit]

Edited by Shujral

How would such a system determine the difference between a bag jumper and someone who simply goes into IP or VOTD and cleans up all the stuff left behind by other hunters?

Good point. I would not let people become pkable on IP. However, picking up a bag that isnt yours is bag jumping, although I agree unwanted bags are not the same thing as a db or harvest bag for example.

I guess my answer to this is simply that you take the bag at your own risk. Just because you are pkable does not mean that you will be pked. IP you treat as a special place where you can pick up anything with impunity.

so a newcomer to the game finds a bag on the ground with some stuff in and thinks cool,

grabs it all and is pkable for 5 minutes without him knowing why? o_0

Anyways. as much Bagjumpers are maybe hated by player, its part of the gameplay i think.

I mean what would you think if someone suggests Punishing one of favourite stuff you do just because

he doesnt like it? I see your point and im not a Bagjumper. i just think it shouldnt be punished like that

Trade Embargos and the Bounty Hunt after Bjers are allready a punishment enough imo.

Just imho

I don't really look at this as punishment, but more as a chance to do unto others as they have done unto me, so your basic revenge. I'm not trying to punish a bag jumper directly, I would just like some small window of opportunity to get back at the bag jumper.

Think of how long it takes to get back from Hell, a bag jumper could be red during the whole trip, then you never get a chance at them. Also, there becomes strategy in bag jumping. You have to take and run with the bag, or go invisible, or whatever...providing a nice fighting aspect to back jumping and somewhat reviving the concept of pk.

Pick the bag on your risk... Interesting attitude. Maybe rather, drop a bag on risk of losing it >.< I see less and less sense in this suggestion. More and more I'm against it.

Edited by Anshar

I like this idea more and more... I drop a bag with a single gold coin or two and wait invisible until someone comes and picks it up. Then I can PK them on a non-PK map and get lots of cool stuff they didn't expect to have to protect with a Rosto. Oh, and they're not even equipped to fight, so its even easier to kill them. When I pick up their db, I can rightfully claim it and not be made PKable because I'm the one who killed them so it rightfully belongs to me. They have no recourse and I have lots of cool $tuff![/sarcasm]

This seems like just one more (of the same) flimsy excuses for an idea to try and make BJing defacto illegal by making it prohibitively hard to play the game if you pick up a bag. It's legal... if you drop something, tough (by design of the game). If you don't want to lose something, don't drop it!

However, picking up a bag that isnt yours is bag jumping, although I agree unwanted bags are not the same thing as a db or harvest bag for example.

Then bone collectors are bag jumpers - although not the same kinds of bag jumpers as someone who snatches your death bag (of which there are two kinds - those who wait for you to die so they can get your stuff, and those who just happen on a db while walking around, with no idea who it belongs to or how much longer before it all disappears) - it would appear as though we should reserve some extra server space for the Outlaw folder, it's about to grow exponentially ;)

So, someone drops some bags for a contest and all players who take them will be pkable for 5 mins?

Ok, that would boost pking somehow, but i doubt that a lot of players like it ;)

Piper

Edit: But that just gives me another idea: A pking stone. Put it in a bag and if someone else than the owner or the owners guildies takes it, the stones disappears and the player becomes pkable for a given time.

That might be even fun for contests, let the stone be expensive enough, that it cant be too easy abused.

Ingreds to make them might be an enriched death essences (do we have such a thing?), at least ingreds worth 4-5k gc. So not every noob can bag spam with one flower and one pking stone, but ppl can use them to protect their bag. Or to organize contests :D

Edited by The_Piper

So, someone drops some bags for a contest and all players who take them will be pkable for 5 mins?

But that just gives me another idea: A pking stone. Put it in a bag and if someone else than the owner or the owners guildies takes it, the stones disappears and the player becomes pkable for a given time.

That might be even fun for contests, let the stone be expensive enough, that it cant be too easy abused.

Ingreds to make them might be an enriched death essences (do we have such a thing?), at least ingreds worth 4-5k gc. So not every noob can bag spam with one flower and one pking stone, but ppl can use them to protect their bag. Or to organize contests ;)

Hmm, I think i like this even better. :D

The server will NEVER take any action against someone taking a bag. by design, the moment you put something in a bag it is not considered yours anymore. A bag is not intented for storage or safe keeping ... it is just stuff sitting there.

End-of-Thread