Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Oops

Little hint:

Create a script named startserver.sh and there you start the server with all parameters.

And if this script is maintained, you wont have such problems again ;-)

Piper

Ps: Feel free to choose another name for the script, but thats the way we start at work our tp-monitors.

Well, that's what I did!

But they changed everything after I left. They removed my compiling script, they made a make file that doesn't even work, and the binary just exits without any error message or core dump.

Lol, we are doooomed ;-)

Does the binary exit with a return code? Maybe that could be a help. You can search the sources then for the exit statement with that return code and find out whats wrong.

For example, start the binary, then type "echo $?" and if it replies 47, search for exit(47).

Piper

yeah, that's what was wondering...is it gone forever or just temporary? look on the bright side though, at least port 2001 has faster harvesting :P

im on windows xp i need more instructions on how to get to this 'test' server

i dont know how to open a directory -_-

Open My Documents

Open the Local C Drive

If there are a lot of files, click "Hide Folders" or some such on the left side.

Click "Find Programs" or something along those lines.

Type in elconfig

There should be results like ELConfig with some weird computer with a messed up face icon.

Double click that

It open this little window and there is one that says Port [2000] change that 2000 to 2001

Click OK or whatever.

Restart EL.

Enjoy.

Its not seriously gone forever...Right?

No, temporary only.

Cicero or Learner must only restart the server, thats all.

So join us on the test server while waiting.

Change the port in EL.INI from 2000 to 2001 and log in or create a new char.

Piper

Lol, we are doooomed ;-)

Does the binary exit with a return code? Maybe that could be a help. You can search the sources then for the exit statement with that return code and find out whats wrong.

For example, start the binary, then type "echo $?" and if it replies 47, search for exit(47).

Piper

It just exits, no error, no crash, etc.

I did look in the source code for exit, but I have no idea what's wrong. And even if I would, I can't compile the server ebcause they removed my compilign script and replaced it with a Make file that doesn't even work (doesn't link).

Hmmm...

Wasn't DOOM dedicated to the hostile takeover of EL? Seems Cicero's master plan has finally worked out :P

If you are new to the game your character may not have yet been backed up... so there will be no record of Diwin on the test server... just make another character and you'll be able to get in :D

Lol, we are doooomed ;-)

Piper

It just exits, no error, no crash, etc.

I did look in the source code for exit, but I have no idea what's wrong. And even if I would, I can't compile the server ebcause they removed my compilign script and replaced it with a Make file that doesn't even work (doesn't link).

Doesnt link...

Well, i myself am not a friend of makefiles, but i have one last idea:

Remove all *.o files => "rm *.o"

Rename the binary => "mv binary binary.sec"

And then type make again.

If this doesnt force the linker to link, i dont have any other idea or the makefile is really rotten and its only there to trick you.

Oooh, and look if theres another makefile which is not named makefile, but maybe "Makefile.new" or so. You can use this by typing "make -f Makefile.new".

Anyways, im going to bed in a few minutes. Must catch an early train later.

Piper

Entropy,Im on the test server and my stats have all been reset to like NOOB stats.Plz,Plz,Plz,Plz tell me this is only on test server!Man im frickin out so bad,it taken me so long to get this lvl on this char.

Entropy,Im on the test server and my stats have all been reset to like NOOB stats.Plz,Plz,Plz,Plz tell me this is only on test server!Man im frickin out so bad,it taken me so long to get this lvl on this char.

Test Server only...

Shadowfalcon,

believe me, your stats are not gone. What you see is only the test server.

Just wait until the original server can be restarted and you get all your stats back.

All you need to know is written in Entropy's first post in this thread. He cant restart the server. No loss of data or something else.

All your stats and items are stored in a file which still lies on the hard disc of the machine. Only the EL server (software, not hardware) cant be restarted.

Piper

Thanks ALOT piper,:D,Man im playin test server and logger has sum. three chim wolfs in KF and there killing everyone,leeloo and moonshadows names r green too? not sure what that means but it looks awesome,lol

im on windows xp i need more instructions on how to get to this 'test' server

i dont know how to open a directory -_-

Are you serious? Even my mom knows how to open a directory, last time when she visited she got her e-mail from my comp and then started to ask embarassing questions about some of my folders :D

*grabs megaphone* :D learner or cicero come back to your computer asap!

not sure myself but thought i would liven thread up a bit.

i hope they come back...soon.....

OFF TOPIC: does anyone know the URL to the top 20 site?

OFF TOPIC 2: if elf_ranger's potion level was 22 at the time of press, and he's in top 20 in everyhting, does that mean i am in top 20 too?

Ummm I have all my stats and stuff...?????

That story was messed up.... he was not in many of the top 20 at all.... i think i might be on more top 20 than he was .lol.... go to the EL home page and there is a now a top 50 link list there now.

Just curious....It being saturday night and all, Are Learner and Cicero out for the night, or are they working on it now? Any kind of estimate on how long it will be?