Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Screw You Guys, I'm Going Home!

As the title is saying, I decided to leave EL (especially the development) for an indefinite period of time. Indefinite doesn't mean forever, it means that I have no idea if/when I will return as the main developer.

This decision is mostly fueled by the constant struggle between me and the community. Everything I implement is viewed with hostility by relatively large parts of our players base. Whenever I implement something new, or refine something that I do not like (such as the recent harvesting change) I am bitched at, people claim I am destroying the game, etc. etc. I come home tired from work, and people, instead of showing their gratitude that I work my ass off for free to improve the game for them, well, the are just bitching (bitching in this context means complaining about misc. things). Someone even accused me that I am trying to force my views into 'their' game, so players have to play the game as I intend it to be played, rather than how they want it to be played. And they are right, this is what I want, and since my views and their views are divergent, the best thing for everyone is for me to start my own, independent project.

This project is a single player game, based on the EL client, and it will be a turn based tactics game, something similar to X-COM.

Meanwhile, the EL project will still continue to exist, since there are other developers as well. The others are staying, so my leave shouldn't affect the development that much.

Of course, I will still come to the forums, go in game every once in a while, etc. It's not like I am leaving the planet Earth.

As the title is saying, I decided to leave EL (especially the development) for an indefinite period of time. Indefinite doesn't mean forever, it means that I have no idea if/when I will return as the main developer.

This decision is mostly fueled by the constant struggle between me and the community. Everything I implement is viewed with hostility by relatively large parts of our players base. Whenever I implement something new, or refine something that I do not like (such as the recent harvesting change) I am bitched at, people claim I am destroying the game, etc. etc. I come home tired from work, and people, instead of showing their gratitude that I work my ass off for free to improve the game for them, well, the are just bitching (bitching in this context means complaining about misc. things). Someone even accused me that I am trying to force my views into 'their' game, so players have to play the game as I intend it to be played, rather than how they want it to be played. And they are right, this is what I want, and since my views and their views are divergent, the best thing for everyone is for me to start my own, independent project.

This project is a single player game, based on the EL client, and it will be a turn based tactics game, something similar to X-COM.

Meanwhile, the EL project will still continue to exist, since there are other developers as well. The others are staying, so my leave shouldn't affect the development that much.

Of course, I will still come to the forums, go in game every once in a while, etc. It's not like I am leaving the planet Earth.

Entropy sorry 2 say this but sometimes you just DONT seem 2 CARE about what others think!

and you know what they say! Practice MAKES perfect!

(you might wanna consider listening 2 players a little bit more and not disaproving everything before you TRY it, its a BETA remember ERRORS are affordable!)

Hrm :-/ ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Umm Ent. Fuck them. It's your game and if you want to make changes and some ungrateful people can't deal with it they don't deserve to play. I for one believe this game will fall apart w/o you. Just stay please :P

I'm sure I'm talking for everyone when I'm saying I'm sad to see you go. However I do understand you, sometimes it's a good thing to take some time off. I know this because I have coded a MUD for 8 years, and the players often hated whatever we coders did.

Have a little time for yourself, get a new perspective on things and come back refreshed. You deserve some time for yourself. I just hope you will return soon. :P

You know Entropy, NO ONE from the mature side of the community is going to call you an ass or an impressionist, or anything of that sort. They just want to input into view that you seem to add updates that are more-or-less "wild" and very drastic without asking the players.

You should take a direct poll about what you want to add to this game and use that as your development strategy. Just make the poll need like a minimum 200 votes to even go through, and then you'll see what players want changed, not damaged.

Entropy sorry 2 say this but sometimes you just DONT seem 2 CARE about what others think!

Indeed. That's why I am going to make MY own game.

don't think like that, man.

I'm gonna miss you on the game ent! and most of all thank you for making this game! :P

Its not that bad Ent...most of us should know that this game is still in Beta..

If you're really deciding to leave EL now, plz come back soon. We'll miss your presence.

Btw, could you implement the invasion of fluffs before you go? :P

Eeek! :P

Sorry to hear you feel that way Ent...

But you should realize, people (the EL Community) are just trying to help...opinions are needed, and whether they're good or they're bad, they're still their opinions. Each person has their own idea of what they think will make a good and better game...You can't create something that will please everyone, but listening to what people say will help...it's not like we can go into the game ourselves and change what we think will make it even better...

*sighs*

Hope you enjoy working on your own project...and I know you're not going away all together, you'll still be missed....

Indeed. That's why I am going to make MY own game.

But this is your game... wish you would rethink this and come back... there are a lot of us that love your work on the game and i think this will just about kill the game now...

was very much looking forward to pay you each month to play the p2p and new stuff that was planned..

Tigger

before you get pissed or anything at me Ent read the REST of my post also

(the Edit)

and you know what they say! Practice MAKES perfect!

(you might wanna consider listening 2 players a little bit more and not disaproving everything before you TRY it, its a BETA remember ERRORS are affordable!)

I would like to say thanks ent to all you have done and i am gonna read all forums threads on bitches to ent and do my best to pk those people friends or not $%#%$ you guys that make a man bow out like this ...... thats just plain shit and u guys say ent doesnt care about game well u dont care about ent so stfu crybabbies

p.s. i am a fat guy that cant get a date this is all i got!!!! hehe

Well ent I've added to this, but your not the only frustrated oen who coems home from a work day or school day where everything is just messed up. If your psised take a ngiht away from the game, if your pissed take a break (such as you are). I dont' blame you but some of your ideas coem out to be a bit drastic, lopsiding it for fighting or harvest based works. A equality is hard to come by, when and if you come back jsut keep trying you'll find a solution someday

I am sorry to see you go.

Many of us really really do appreciate all you do and how hard it is to create and work on this game. I can only speak for myself here, but anything I have ever said good or bad about this game has been because I really do love this game and want to see the best for it. I am sure it is harder to take constructive criticism (well I guess we all believe our objections and complaints are constructive) when you are getting it from hundreds of people, it must seem overwhelming and like we are all ganging up on you. But please remember, nobody always has great ideas, every once in a while an idea won't be so hot...

You are the driving force of this game and its a shame you feel driven to this. Hopefully you will reconsider this decision and continue on your very appreciated work here.

Come on Ent, don't be so childish.

Just because a minority of the players feels like screaming out what they feel about everything, you're gonna leave?

It'll be really sad with you leaving.

I hope you'll be back soon.

Guest monkey_bone9876

I am srry to see you go entorpy and a bid you farwell and i hope to see and hear from you soon.

you might wanna consider listening 2 players a little bit more and not disaproving everything before you TRY it

umm based on that i have to say this. You can't truthfully expect him to implement every change people suggest, or even 1/4 of them. It's pure insanity to think such a thing. Not to mention some people don't even give any of the changes time to be examined before commenting.

anyway ent, I hope you don't leave, but if it will give you time to relax go for it, as I think this game is costing you more money than it's bringing in right now.

ciao!

Well ent I've added to this, but your not the only frustrated oen who coems home from a work day or school day where everything is just messed up. If your psised take a ngiht away from the game, if your pissed take a break (such as you are). I dont' blame you but some of your ideas coem out to be a bit drastic, lopsiding it for fighting or harvest based works. A equality is hard to come by, when and if you come back jsut keep trying you'll find a solution someday

i agree i KNOW macroing is BAD but Don't make the game SO hard for the players that DONT macro 2 get the macroing 2 stop.... you will just lose potential costumes...

i say this and i mean every word of it... if i HAD the money id be a member AS soon as there was a P2P version.... but i dont got no money/job so i cant help.....

i know a LOT of people thing Runescape is LAME but please take a Look at some of the things that game has! and use some of them!

the Events happening 2 see if players are not AFK like the insect attacks and the Rock Golem...

just make a simple question like are you behind you Computer and if they dont awnser in 10 seconds KILL them! or something! :D

I truly am sorry to hear this, you were the head developer to a great game and from what I've seen and heard, a pretty cool guy...Only problem is, MMORPG's seem to attract many ungrateful, arrogant children that think the world should revolve around them. I know I'm not the only one who hopes that you rethink this decision and decide to come back...Maybe not now or tomorrow or anytime soon, just one day...And I agree with what most other people have said, screw the childish people who bitch about an amazing FREE game and just keep doing what you wanna do..

Sorry to see you go, your skills and contributions to the game will be missed for sure.

I was never trying to sound bitchy about game changes as most never really bothered me. I and many others try out best to offer constructive critisism about things that bother us. Things that we feel could make the game unsuccessful in the long run since I(and many more) want nothing more then for this game to be the very best it can be and to be successful.

Wind to thine wings.

May whatever you go on to do in the mean time I wish you the best of luck.

=D