Eternal Lands Official Forums
bradleybradley

Taking Bags

Do you all think taking someone's bag when they died is illegal?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Do you all think taking someone's bag when they died is illegal?

• It is illegal and you should be banned for it.
    • It is not, it's allowed in the game rules. But it is not nice.
    • I don't care either way. I just get over it and move on.

This is where I stand. It is allowed in game rules, obviously, otherwise, you wouldn't lose items when you die. Obviously, it is not nice, and if someone wants to put you in a pk list, then fine. That's fair. But I think it's annoying when people call you a thief and curse, or whatever. You are not stealing, and if you could fight monsters without losing anything, then there are no risks, which means monsters then should not be able to drop anything either. What do you think about that? I have never scammed anyone on a trade, I think this is the only way to steal in the game. Most veterans of the game accept bag taking, hate it, but accept it. That's the way the game is played, but oh well, I still want to hear all your opinions. And remember, this is not a flaming room. Just post your opinions kindly.

Most veterans of the game accept bag taking, hate it, but accept it.

I don't think so...

Read better : Most

Most is not all.

Some are taking unfair advantage of lagging internet connections. Someone lags out, they hop on the bag. I know jumping on bags is legal, but when someone lags out, it's also not their fault. I'm on the side that believes it is legal, but in some cases should NOT be done. Someone dies, different story. <_<

In reply to that, I still think it's alright to take a bag if someone has a bad internet conection. If you lag out while fighting, tough luck, but you know that's a risk. Now if you drop a bag to make items, like potions, etc, and lag out, that is still up for grabs. Why? That's what pp are for. Making a bag is just like increasing your weight capacity to hold stuff. Some people spend pickpoints to have higher capacity so they don't have to do that. If you make a bag, you know there are risks. That's one thing you have to think about while taking your pick points. So you have no argument there. If you lag, you lag, tough luck, but you know that making a bag means anyone can take it. Therefore, "Bag Jumping" should not be a term used in EL, because you hint that someone stole it, when it's the person's fault they made the bag in the first place.

Y'know, the more people with such good attitudes like yours I meet, the more I want to start looking for another game. I started because it looked and at first WAS fun. But there are a few apples....... Well, good luck with that, bradley. Ignore me all you want. My opinion is mine and can't be changed, just like yours.

In reply to that, I still think it's alright to take a bag if someone has a bad internet conection.

So basically, I deserve to lose anything I own because I'm on a dial-up connection?

No matter how hard I worked to earn what I have, if I lag out due to my 'pos connection' you'll quite happily come along and take it?

At least with this game you're part of a minority, and not the majority. See, most people here will be honest enough to return a person's bag... its people like you, and other noobs who are out to get what they can as quick as they can, who will steal what they can, when they can.

If it happens in a pk map, fair enough, its bound to happen there, and no one should complain if they lost anything in a pk map. However, anyone who has a laggy connection shouldnt be punished by losing their stuff just because they lagged out.

It shouldnt be called bag jumping because its my fault I made the bag? Everything I put in it is mine, so if I lose it for whatever reason, technically it has been stolen.

I'll put some litter in my future bags, I bet you'd even steal that too. <_<

Taking bags are acts of cowardice and not liked by most ppl I know.

Plus if you return what's lost, the other player could be assumed to return the favor to you, if you should fall victim to the grue or a gruesome death.

It's really an act of courtesy and decency in my opinion.

Several guilds, including Brotherhood of Bane, sees bag jumping as a kickable offence.

/Derin

to all bag jumpers :P

EL is a comunity, comunities tend to develop certain norms and values, and they even tend to enforce them after a while.

so while you are formally legal when jumping bags, chances are you will end up having a bad name in the comunity :P

so don't come bitching to me (or others who think along these lines) once you made it on the black list of a number of guilds and don't get any help or trading partners anymore...not to talk about PK-areas :unsure:

so don't come bitching to me (or others who think along these lines) once you made it on the black list of a number of guilds and don't get any help or trading partners anymore...not to talk about PK-areas :unsure:

zactly. :P

i stick by the rule: do as you would be done by.

if you get in my face and mess with me, then that's your problem and someone, if not me directly, will smesh you one day soon cos a person with a bad attitude is bound to go down.

You know what?

It's not about veterans or newbs boki!!!

It's about game rullz and lvls

If someone dies and i take his bag fine !! [u returned mine :P]

But all in all if they don't have the proper level to fight a bear [in my case now] they must be carefull not to att[mistake it for beavER] !!

I dont understand people ppl that take 4234231242 pys and coe fight gargs , trolls and cry to u in PM when they die "please please kill that garg, troll , fluff " etc etc !!

I admit i did that to boki :P , but i accidenty clicked the bear when i was lagging and woke up in hell!!

Otherwise stay and fight ur lvl suggested creatures damn it!!

and about bag jumpers in ess manu stuff etc why ban ? it's not forbidden it's ur fault for letting ur bag unsupervised!!

if u hate this think pk the bag jumper and get it over with !! :unsure:

wow i never thought i'd see the day wheres theres a post of people complaining about something where there isnt one sign of anyone against the topic at all

i stick by the rule: do as you would be done by.

Exactly! And usually its the bag jumpers who whine the loudest that they didn't get their stuff back...go figure <_<

Yes it's technically legal but it sure is lower than low to take advantage of somebody else's misfortune...look in rl laws...just because something is legal doesn't always make it right.

Many a time I lost my bag and a kind person always stood over it to watch it for me. They did not have to. I guess it is a matter of the individual. And now having to start from ground zero again and not being able to get on as much, struggling to make it (I do like that though as I know I earned what I work for), I would hope there are still nice people around in case. But if not, I will carry on. But when I started out, many, many of the people here always helped out each other.

Well, I don't whine if my bag is taken. And to reply to Gunslingers, if you make a bag, and you lag out, you accepted the risk by making the bag. You can do everything by taking some pp to increase carrying capacity and make whatever you need, it is slower, but possible. To everyone who agrees with me, thank you. I wish I talked to more people like you. And to everyone who greatly opposes me, get some sense! And I know what will happen. Taking a bag is also taking a risk for everyone to hate you, but oh well. As long as we understand both sides, I don't see a problem. As for the game, I remember back a long time ago when a person named Hades played the game, and assumed the role of EVIL. He was a jerk, but played by game rules, except for the great amounts of cursing, which by pm, I think it's alright, cause you can ignore a person. But not public cursing, kids play this game. I strongly believe there is a line between bannable things to do in EL and nonbannable things you can do, and I think taking bags is legal, no question about it. And also, I do believe EL is a great community, but for it to be better, we must accept the roles each player plays, whether it be helpful or being a jerk, lol. I guess I play the jerk role, although, if you ask around, I've also helped a great deal with some people. I've helped a number of newbies with tips of the game, rules, how to do things, and given free items to a great number of people. I may take bags, but on trades, I am always honest. I leave it to the freedom of EL for you guys to ignore me or whatnot, but before you do, atleast be open minded to what me and others are doing. It's all in the fun of the game. The result of what I'm doing??.... a person to hunt down on PK! How Fun! See ya around everyone (but hopefully not in a PK, LOL)

Sorry, I need to make another reply to Aisllinn. In real life, yes, you are correct, but this is a game, come on. Should we all play Mortal Kombat by real life rules? It is neither right or wrong to take someone's bag, you cannot argue that point, you should argue the point, kind vs. unkind. It is totally unkind to take someone's bag, but for some people, it's so fun! So think about it, if you play this game as you do in real life, then maybe you should not play this game too much, cause you may be using it as an escape. As for most people, we play the game for entertainment. Some people are just too serious!

Also Derin makes a good point. I agree with everything accept for the cowardice point. Not saying I do it for this reason, but I think it takes more guts to take a bag and face all the people who will hate you for it.

Well, as for this topic, I'm so glad there are people who see it from both sides, and I think the poll speaks for itself. I'm happy, and i'm glad there was minimal bashing going on. Pm me anytime if you have some random comments, lol. I'd like to chat, unless you are gonna bash me, then there's no point! Well, see ya around the game!

It's about having a good moral. People with good moral irl will most likely have a good moral in-game as well. You can say this is a kind/unkind-situation, but I think it's deeper than that, and reflects a lot of a persons personality of whether he/she decides to return the goods or not.

Not everything that should be illegal irl is illegal. For instance, loop-holes in the tax legislation etc. Whether you are going to abuse these loopholes is up to you, but I would not - it's the same in-game.

I strongly believe there is a line between bannable things to do in EL and nonbannable things you can do, and I think taking bags is legal, no question about it. And also, I do believe EL is a great community, but for it to be better, we must accept the roles each player plays, whether it be helpful or being a jerk, lol. I guess I play the jerk role, although, if you ask around, I've also helped a great deal with some people.

It's all in the fun of the game. The result of what I'm doing??.... a person to hunt down on PK! How Fun! See ya around everyone (but hopefully not in a PK, LOL)

huh. Really. Words of wisdom I take it, huh? They world revolves around people like you in your opinion, because you see the necessity for evil where there is good. Thin veil.......

as for pk, ya, you're on lists and there are people looking for you. I hope YOU don't have children, no need to bring kids into the world thinking evil is needed to balance the good.

I Died in Kilaran Field and lost 201 roses. that took me over 1 hour and a few seconds with the 200 harvest cap ent was talkin about... omg someone get my bag

Like I said, this is a game. Pking and taking stuff is part of the entertainment for some people. You can choose to bring morals into the game, but I think you'd be taking the game too seriously. This topic is very opinionated, and I'm not saying you are wrong, but I disagree with you greatly.

let people hold their own opinions bradley and stop fighting it lol.

you can't tell people they are taking the game too seriously, just as they can't say you don't take the people behind the characters they are playing seriously enough.

the point is nobody can control another person and make them behave the way you want them to.

just treat people as they come to you at that time.

Like I said, this is a game. Pking and taking stuff is part of the entertainment for some people. You can choose to bring morals into the game, but I think you'd be taking the game too seriously. This topic is very opinionated, and I'm not saying you are wrong, but I disagree with you greatly.

What can I say - I'm a very moral (and some would say almost spiritual) person, and I always act the same no matter what, where and who.

I doubt that people who know me would say that I'm taking the game too serious, I just think of people in-game as I do with anyone else - they're people as well, there are some people that you like and some people that you feel indifferent about.