Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Should Newbies Be Automagically Assigned Noob Chn?

I am working at a tutorial and help NPC, sitting right next to the wraith. He will teach you how to do some stuff, and will give you some small missions, such as go visit a few taverns, harvest and deposit some stuff, etc. After you finish 3 tutorials, he will give you some crappy items, such as some leather armor and maybe an iron sword.

Anywya, do you think thatnewbies should eb automatically assigned to the newbie channel, or let them do that themselves, via #jc 1 ? The NPC will tell you how to chat and such.

yah do this i always get newbs Pm me with got armor need sword?

now i tell them to talk to teh 1337z0r wraith :huh:

*ponders*

I think they shouldn't, considering the Newbie chat is always going across the screen, and someone starting out might miss what the Newbie Helper is telling them, if it shows up in their Chat. If it's a bubble, like Wraith has, might not be too big of a deal, but if the Newbie Helper explains to them what they need to do, how to chat, then the person can decide on their own if they want to bother with the global chat or not. They tend not to know right away (until a Hint appears or someone tells them) that they aren't chatting in the Newbie Channel yet.

That's one of the reasons Newbie Island was kinda nice. Really very few people around for the chat to enter on their screen just yet and I don't think they started in Newbie chat right away. Less chance to get confused as to what's going on.

I think they should choose for themselves..

maybe it could be a little quest, like they have to go find the tavern or something, and someone there could show them how to eat, how to talk locally to people and how to talk in channels.

kill three birds etc.

They should. And in MOTD should stand BIG FONT and RED COLOUR:

TYPE @ BEFORE YOUR MESSAGE TO TALK ON CHANNEL!!!

Regards.

Too much confusion for them if they are automagically in newb chat because the default setting is small screen and the chat would cover half of their screen and i have seen some newbs that as soon as they see that they ask how to quit and just go away forever.

Too much confusion for them if they are automagically in newb chat because the default setting is small screen and the chat would cover half of their screen and i have seen some newbs that as soon as they see that they ask how to quit and just go away forever.

Most don't think "Oh, it might be changable!". ;/

Most will just skip over what the NPC says, IF they even talk to it! Because most people, after spawning by the wraith, walk off.. they're not gunna want to talk to any tutorial NPC, they think it'll be long and boring and can figure it out themselves, only to become frustrated and quit, like somany do, because they don't read how to talk in the channel to ask us what to do... =/ Since the log in message changed, a LOT more people are talking in the channel right after I see the new member message...

My vote is they start in the channel, and one of the first things the NPC tells them(or that they can ask) is how to change the video settings...

Since the log in message changed, a LOT more people are talking in the channel right after I see the new member message...

Really? :huh:

I've spent quite a bit of time at beam lately, and it seems a lot of the newbies dont know, or understand how channels work. This should be one of the main things they learn about when they start off in the game.

I dont know if it can be implemented here, but with a lot of tutorials for games, you have to complete the task explained in the tutorial, to progress with the next part of the tutorial. It'd be a good idea to have something like this here. They start off not on any channel, but the tutorial goes through the process of getting them to join the channel and post a message.

Of course, you'd still have to provide the option of skipping the tutorial, which a lot of people do, because they cant spare 5 minutes to read a newbie guide or tutorial etc.

they shouldent start in the channel as many people said in a nice way after noobs figure out how to use the channel they usaly ask questions talk about some offtopic nonsence or talk about the evil run escape and how its beter and such witch im happy to say its not better

Yes Roja we nh's love that new start up message. I would say roughly 40ish%(give or take a few) of the new people figured out how to talk in the channel with out being told by some one else!!! As for the channel i think they sould not start out in it (unless they skip the tutoral then they should get spamed with #hint messages about how to talk in the channel) and apoun comepletting the tutoral if they join/left the channel they should be atomaticly thrown back in the channel just incase they missed something or have othere needs :D . imo :P

New start up message? You mean it's not "Whoops, someone accidentally nuked the server, and Entropys brother ate the backups" anymore?

This subject is very debateable...on one hand we have the new startup message telling them how to talk/use the channel(they may or maynot read), but let's say they do read it. well this means we don't have to explain to them HOW to use the channel, and they'll have easy access to asking questions. Plus seeing friendly chitchatter can be a good thing....

or a bad thing if it's not friendly and instead is spammy which i see a lot of the time. If they're not put in the channel then they will have to learn HOW to go in the channel. SOME will read the tutorial. SOME will be there when a NH is near the wraith helping them out(which we will need more of if we take them off the channel). SOME might even read the manual..but that some is kinda small. They might also wander off, not know what to do and get frustrated and leave(well if they're too stubborn to read the manual then let them go!)

Sounds good to have the wraith or something teach newbs. Without just dumping them right into one of the busiest channels. Though probably one of the first things it should say is how ot join and talk in channels along with how to change your screen res so the chat text doesn't take up so much space. =D

As long as * how to join (#jc) a channel, * how to talk (@) in channel, and * how to review (F1) what's been said, are in the first welcome message and in the #hints, it's better for newbies to start outside the channel.

The few times I started a new char, as soon as I got a visual the first message was already been pushed away by the newb channel chat. This would make me think "wtf?!" if I was a newb who started EL for the first time...

Newbies who read some tutorials before they start will know about #jc, @, and F1, and will join a channel soon enough.

Newbies who didn't read any tutorials will learn on their way, with the welcome message and the #hints. Local spam by newbies who try to respond to channel chat, can be prevented by having them started outside the channel.

If I hadn't started in newbie chat I probably wouldn't still be playing this game. I learned a ton of stuff the first week or so just reading the chat. Heck, I didn't even know there were other channels for several days.

If newbies don't belong in channel 1, then what good is it?

Will there ever be a set level to automatically denoob someone?

While I think it would be benificial to the true new players, I have run into several people who have very easily and confidently power-harvested themselves to a decent level in one day, and yet still don't know how to do most of the basic things that other skills require (and for a few skills the basic things are rather complicated...)

So I am torn as to wether it would be benificial to do so...

While this comment is neither a suggestion or in anyway helpful, you do have to consider that quite a bit of the chat in the newbie HELP channel is not all that confined to question and answer... not that that's a bad thing :S

-E.S.

If I hadn't started in newbie chat I probably wouldn't still be playing this game. I learned a ton of stuff the first week or so just reading the chat. Heck, I didn't even know there were other channels for several days.

If newbies don't belong in channel 1, then what good is it?

Nobody said "don't belong".

It's just to be or not to be in newb channel at the very moment of the creation of a new character.

And my opinion is that newbs first have to learn about #jc 1 and @, so they can join the channel by themselves. It's a matter of a few minutes, and it's ensures that they read the message/#hints/tutorial.

I remeamber when I started EL I was lost for a week..... I had no idea that there was a newb channel and if I would have I surley didn't know how to use it. I think it would be a good idea to start them off on newb channel and every ten mins. or so send a

#GM (TYPE @ THEN THE MESSAGE FOR HELP) :blink::angry::o

I don't get it. If something works then don't fix it - simple. Why we should NOT assign newbie

automagically to newbie channel? Because they spam? If someone knows how to talk to channel he

knows as well how to talk there, IMHO assigning newbies on newbie channel was good idea and it

should stay like it is.

Regards.

I have to agree with Plat on this, i think newbies SHOULD start out in channel 1....after all, it IS the Newbie Help Channel...if they spam the channel a bit, well, thats one of the reasons why NH's are given their powers, isnt it? Oft times ppl already get frustrated, not undestanding how to play the game, mainly because they dont bother reading the tutorials and the manual....does ne1 really think that ppl will change and "bother" if u take them out of the newbie channel? ;)

When I was a newie I have attacked a deer...hehe...got owned. And I know that without newbie channel

I would probably not even get out from Underworld because in manual there was nothing about how to

get out from hell. And you, Regar1, made a valid point here. We have #kick and #mute to prevent spam

which works preety well. We have also #denoob, but I am not using it since it is permanent.

Regards.