Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cindy

Gorlic Quest - Wraith number 3

I am very frustrated and disappointed at the moment. I have spent over two hours attempting to complete the third quest handed out by the Wraith - go see Gorlic - Gorlic asks you to locate two persons and obtain a book.

I do not want a spoiler. What i DO want is to assert that in game design, if you are going to incorporate quests, ANY quest must be completable with a reasonable effort otherwise it destroys more product appeal, than it creates.

When or if i complete this, i will not experience some great sense of satisfaction. What i will feel is "thank god thats over" and the rest of these s.o.b.'s better not be anything like it or this game is headed for the shelfware hall of shame.

Right now i would would like to inflict severe frustration on the mind which created this encounter.

In this example i was told to look for two chaps, one in White stone, the other in Grahams village. I have searched Whitestone - all shops, houses - way too many g*d damn houses, and the gate - no npc appears, or is other wise observable, encounterable, triggerable, etc ad nauseum.

I have searched Grahams village - a much smaller town, thank god, but with an identical fruitless result after following the directions of the quest giving npc, and blowing over an hour of my most precious resource - my time. An hour and a half blown on the first town, and an hour on the second and zero payoff - is not what i would market as "product appeal".

If you respond to this post - please indicate (a) have i dutifully followed the directions of the quest, as indicated by the npc whom offered it (Gorlic)

(:) do i have the name of either town incorrect

© was i or was i not told to look for either of these two "shifty" brothers with the environs of these two towns.

(d) and lastly, why the hell are neither quest npc's apparently locatable.

You were not told he is in Whitestone, you were told he MIGHT be in Whitestone, or looking for some stuff in the Forest of Fall. So, if he is not in Whitestone, where else can he be? :)

Thank you for your kind in-game comments and assistance.

Please note the time of this post. So far we have spoken to Faris, Geris and Andrew and still have no book.

To whom ever it may concern in Game design: please r-e-a-d m-y l-i-p-s:

its a new concept but you may warm to it eventually: its called P-r-o-d-u-c-t A-p-p-e-a-l.

It means if you want to sell your product - you make it appealing to the potential consumer.

"Door icon" appearing when mouse pointer hovers over the back (or any other g*damn side of a dwelling - has to go. If i WANT to enter the house i will locate the door and enter. I am sick and tired of navigating - mis triggering a door icon then slowly spinning the compass on a dial up connection till i find the flipping door out then re slowly spinning the compass to reorient myself to where i was headed in the first place.

Really a charming experience in tree town where navigating through the vegetation and the town are one and the same entity - may whomever misconcieved of it - be sodomized daily.

Unless its designed as a time killer - it serves no function of convenience.

(yes we are vexxed and we are on a roll)

In the five plus hours since the original post i could have:

raised harvest by 4 levels

made 8k/ per hour harvesting cactus

raised my character level at least two more levels

and just think - i still dont have the book. You can keep the book. You can keep the software. I don't want a spoiler or even a reply. Best wishes marketing the appeal of this experience, and Live long and prosper - preferrably on a another continent.

I'll attempt to explain one last time:

At present the quest appears broken ?

Faris says "leave me alone" - no yellow dialogue option appears in the box

Geris Says "hi" - no yellow dialogue option appears in the box

Andrew says whatever - single yellow dialogue option appears -

"what about the book - buy you another drink" - which when clicked on cycles to the npc response "go away and leave me alone"

Gorlic still shows 4 possible options - each of which produce nothing.

So I have been a good sport - blew 7 fking hours on this jack off misrepresenting itself as a quest, and i have 4 non responsive npc's.

At which point i feel abused by the process and say - ciao.

ciao

Andrew has the book, as many others who completed the quest can testify. Furthermore, he even gives you the book, if you know what to say.

If you don't like our quests, then play some other games. So far, quite a few people told me they did enjoy this particular quest, and most of the people who needed help asked for it, so they got it.

I really loved that quest. It took me ages to find Faris, but it was certainly worth the effort. And Cindy, you gotta STFU; the game is still in Beta, I wonder if you know what Beta means at all? Lemme explain:

Game in Beta Version:

A game in development, the main features are pretty much worked out and implemented, but there still are some (if not loads) bugs to be fixed, features to be implemented, maps to be made and suggestions to be made.

Does this ring a bell? It might be a bug, although I didn't hear anyone else complain about the quest before. Try to be a little nicer >.<

I spend a lot of time to find Faris ans Geris but i didn't find them.

When I was in the forest of the Fall ( Golric said me Faris could be there ) a gargoyle killed me. I think it's a good idea to don't put offensive creatures in newbies areas.

Ok, you do realize that you can still continue to play the game, even if you don't find them? You're not stuck. Go kill some rabbits and try again. As for the gargoyles, don't travel in White Stone at night.

At this point in the quest, at the exhorbitant price of 7 hours of my time, I have located Faris, spoken with him, went to where he told me I could locate Geris; Spoken with Geris - Garis (a 'known liar' ?) directed me to the wrong tavern to locate Andrew but I remembered where i had seen him last so i went there and spoke to Andrew. I gave Andrew the password provided by Geris - at which point Andrew refused to deal with me until i bought him a drink. After I bought him a drink - he denied any knowledge of the book and as previously posted no further dialogue options even appear in his dialogue box:

which is where i draw the conclusion that at this point this quest is broken since

(a) there are ZERO dialogue options in 3 of the 4 npc dialogue boxes

and

(:) the remaining dialogue boxes in Gorlic's text box produce only cyclical responses

Your assertion that Anrew will deliver the book if you say the correct thing to him is false, since i can testify to giving him the correct password.

Your assertion that this quest is resolvable, with all NPC's currently displaying zero dialogue options, is ludicrous.

The several times i was killed while working through this quest was due to the fact that while clicking to navigate through the thich undergrowth, I apparently clicked on creature whom i did not intend or wish to engage and was forced to fight losing battles with anyway.

At this point whatever meagre possessions i accumulated as a 6/6/6 character are gone since the game takes your posessions away every time you die.

In conclusion - I wish the designers the best of success in marketing this and a positive RPG experience. In my book it rates somewhere below the appeal of a two day bout of diahrrea.

Lasly,after investing this much time, frustration, it should be apparent that I did not wander into the 'Help' forum and whine so that someone else could just tell me how to do the quest. I paid my dues - i walked the quest for several hours and appear to be unable to complete it.

I do not believe the comment to me to "STFU" is fair or appropriate, so please - clone yourself. That way you really can, with a little practice, F*CK yourself.

Sorry you are frustrated. I wish you the best of luck on what ever other gaming you choose to do. btw, if you had offered to buy Andrew the second drink, the book would have been dropping into your possession and you would have been less than 60 seconds from finishing the quest.

To recap, you believe the game to have "the appeal of a two day bout of diahrrea." But can you tell me how you really feel about it without all the sugar coating?

Unfortunately, the Help channel is not really "staffed" but, if you had tried the newbie channel (type #jc 1), you would have found ample able players to help.

Thank you Colossus for a good belly laugh at myself. :)

Yes i really should work on overcoming the shy and reticent nature and work on speaking my true feelings, lol.

When the dialogue with Andrew opened, there were 4 possible options.

I went directly to the option of giving him the password and asking for the book:

at which point his response was he wouldn't talk to anyone who didnt buy him a drink.

Clicking on him the second time produced a list of three possible approaches - one of which was buying him a drink , which i did.

The game then comes up and tells you 5 gp were deducted for the cost of the drink, and Andrews dialogue box closes.

Clicking on him the third time produced Zero yellow options.

When I say "zero options", i am trying to describe a result similar to clicking on Flora - back on Isla Prime; after you have complete her "5 different kinds of flowers" quest. If you click on her after completing the quest, a rectangular dialogue box opens, in which no Yellow-highlighted text options appear. The only thing that appears is the text from her, in a "muted blue" color, that she thanks you for your assistance.

After i bought Andrew the first drink - when his dialogue box would open the only thing that appeared within it, in the same "muted blue" color text was the message from Andrew to "go away and leave me alone".

I logged my character out of the game, and logged back into the game and retried clicking on him, and this time there was a single yellow option inside his text box: To buy him another drink and what about that book.

The fact that these options went from zero to 1, by relogging my character makes me suspect there may be a buggy logic tree in the dialogue coding.

After relogging and clicking on him, which produced the single option to buy him the second drink - I selected buy him the second drink.

This produced the previous zero box in which no yellow text appeared and all he says in response to buying him the second drink is "Go away leave me alone" - he does not deliver the book, even though I buy him the drink.

One important note is that when i click on this single yellow option to buy him the second drink, I never get the message that "xx gold"" was deducted from my account to pay for the second drink - which also makes me think that the coding for the quest at this point may be bugged.

So at this point in the timeline of this quest, it does not appear to be completable.

I will try to take screen shots of the opening dialogue that currently exists when i click on him, and the result that following his one remaining option, produces; and post them here if i can edit them to a small, postable size with an image editor.

um well it was like this..

i wasso vexxed at that point i totally wiped EL from my system, tried to delete the character as well but was not able to.

And for whatever reason , like a moth to a candle, i just had to see what anyone had to say about this mess, so i currently am re downloading the executable, on the dubious speed of dial up, so that i can take those screen shots and post them here.

What can i say... OOPs, lol.

As I thought, Cindy, you were full of shit. I went there myself, with your character, and you had two oprions, one of them was: "Want another"?

If you would have clicked on that, you would have gotten the book.

Now I wonder if you did that on purpose, so we'll waste our time helping you.

your reply is dissapointing.

Let see if i can follow your logic:

I spend x hours going through this mess, get the quest completed to the point where all I have to do is click on an option that wasnt there

and by some twist of a logic path i cant (and hopefully never will be able to to) follow,

the "smart thing" to do was either (a) complete the quest

or (:) attempt to delete my character, erase El from my system, and give a very detailed description of what was appearing on my screen.

hmm tough decision - lets see if i follow you:

success in 5 seconds or 3 days of posting - character left in underworld exactly where you found it - and she was there after i was killed while walking back to all the other npc's since i couldnt get any further with Andrew - which the the point at which i decided screw this.

and of course given the choice between success in 5 seconds or 3 days dead, of course the sensible option was 3 days dead.

Yea , your right

I confess,

I killed myself while walking through Fell forest

yea thats it, then

i typed #Kill Me yes,

which didnt work

so we tried

#KillMe yes

which also didnt work,

then, because my life is such an empty shell,

I took time to visit the forumns to give as accurate a descrition of the zero option text boxes as i could.

Next time i believe i will think to take screen shots as a first option. And please, if I am not on your ignore list Entropy - put me on it. I don't play rpg's to find the worst in people.

I will put you on my ignore list, don't worry about that.

BTW, the #killme yes command was disabled, due to some abuse. If you still wish to delete your character, tell me, and I can do it for you.

Entropy your allready on mine.

I felt very foolish messaging you in game to tell you there was a blue book in my bag that wasnt there before - getting "player doesnt exist" and knowing damn well you were on line; then i windowed out to read the latest posts and saw yours.

YES i was in the dead place , thats where people go when they are dead you bonehead.

YES i was there for two days - I deleted your poorly concieved mess from my system, had no way to log to the character, didnt plan to ever log to the character again - ever. Figured this was a beta that was too messed up to complete.

YES i checked back on the boards to see what solution there might be - notice that i was no longer automatically logged in - it logged me as GUEST because i deleted even your bookmarks from my system.

NONE of which makes me a liar. Your comment was juvenile. You are a person of sufficient maturity that calling anyone a "liar" should be beneath you, far beneath you. And in the same breath stating that my motivation for the purported tale was to get help is ludicrous - especially from you, since you know firsthand the only damn clue you ever gave me was look in the forest.

I didnt need or ask for help finding Faris,

I didnt need or ask for help finding Geris,

I didnt need or ask for help finding Andrew,

and as far as any broken dialogues go - believe me i will take screen shots

from now on when ANYTHING goes amiss. In the meantime, like your grandmother allways said - if you can say anything nice- just dont talk to me period. I KNOW what i saw on my screen, i KNOW that there was a point in the process where Andrew had NO options and none appeared until i Logged out and back in. I KNOW that that clicking on his only remaining option produced nothing but a message to go away.

If you wish to classify it as a non duplicatable error - fine. If you wish to seriously investigate whether it is a duplicatable error - i'd be pleased to make a test character and see if the same dialogue path reproduces the same zero path result.

How you you rationally justify the assertion that i wanted your arrogant help when I specifically didnt ask for anyones, until the dialogue path appeared broken ?

Oh i see - yes your honor the Prosecution recogizes the defendant didnt actually take any money from the bank , but trust me - SHE wanted to , We just know it. You can be a real bonehead.

I implemented that quest myself, and so far NO ONE had a problem with getting the book from Andrew. No ONE! Not even your character, since I was able to get the book just fine, once I got in there.

I didn't ask you or anyone to fix it or complete it for me. I said i believed based on what I was seeing that the dialogue results were possibly buggy.

There was no reason why you couldnt walk my character to Andrew click on him, see what dialogue options were presented and log out of my character.

Then you could easily have posted "yes I tried it with your character and the dialogue currently present is correct. Best of luck completing this quest" .

End of story.

I resent being called a liar and then after I did 95 percent of the work on my own having someone claim , I made up some convoluted tale to get a lousy 5 seconds worth of help.

It was a cheap shot.

I didnt realize you needed to fingerprint every NPC in the event you suspect they are not following script properly but I learn quickly. If i have any future complications - you'll get screen shots.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this